Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - January

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Less snow on the ground this morning than there was last night. Just a dusting now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

(SS, what's the difference between heating oil and derv?)

GFS 00Z very pleasing to the eye. Ensembles:

http://cdn.nwstatic....0Midlothian.png

E'rly at the end will have the model thread on major ramp mode (not going to check).

http://cdn.nwstatic..../h850t850eu.png

http://cdn.nwstatic..../h850t850eu.png

Popping up on the ECM too:

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.192.png

http://cdn.nwstatic....ecmt850.240.png

Will it, wont't it continues...

Still, lots of chilly + snowy charts popping up, so looking very interesting anyway.

Was a few cm of snow up soutra yesterday on the way home, but nothing here really.

EDIT. Derv = diesel. Very similar, but heating oil usually has a slightly higher average carbon number (C14-20, compared to C10 to C15 for diesel), i.e. it boils off at higher temperatures during fractional distillation of crude oil.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still jam tomorrow, but the evolution to jam is pretty much settled by this evening http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120120/00/144/h500slp.png http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2012012000/UW144-21.GIF?20-06

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120120/00/ecm500.144.png (ECM a bit slower but it'd just be a more HP dominated easterly rather than the stonkers of the GFS). ECM 32 dayer apparently looks good for high retrogression towards Greenland. Major major steps forwards this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

lovely start to the day - cold and crisp. Lovely charts. What can i say!!!! Its Friday (and Jam too)

Posted

Pretty sky again this morning! But no snow...

102_2216.jpg

Saw this on my drive in, what do the say "Red sky in the morning, Shepard's warning"

Was very raw in the breeze, snow on the Campsies and Ochils, but nothing at hame.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Saw this on my drive in, what do the say "Red sky in the morning, Shepard's warning"

Was very raw in the breeze, snow on the Campsies and Ochils, but nothing at hame.

I keep on getting spectacular red skies which then turn into lovely calm pleasant sunny days - maybe I don't have enough sheep in suburban Edinburgh to count for a Shepherd's Warning? :)

Posted

Snowing again this morning and a light dusting. Nothing in Aberdeen though.

Posted

Good covering of snow here, starts from around 200m upwards, currently 1.6C. Heavy snow last night resulted in a pretty hair raising experience when I went off the road and skift a tree, hit a fence etc. I'm ok, the car has seen better days though. Was very stupid of me to take a rear wheel drive out in such conditions! Usually use a battered old jeep for the snow and I won't be using anything else for the rest of the winter. Roads were trecherous again this morning and a friend of mine ended up in a ditch near Loch Ness, guess the sum of all this is to take care out there people! even if you feel you are used to the conditions they can catch you unawares

Ps. Anyone else experience problems getting on the forum in the last 24hrs?

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Glad you are ok Northern Strath! No matter how experienced a driver the snow and ice can catch us all out, and when a car loses control on the ice it certainly gets the heart going! Much better that the car took the brunt and you walked away in good fettle.

Had one attempt in the late evening at wet snow, didn't settle but made for very slippery conditions on the school run walk. There was snow on the surrounding hills (Kinnoull etc), but that has mostly melted now.

P.S had problems getting onto the forum too.......heavy load of eager beavers giddy over recent model outputs?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Ps. Anyone else experience problems getting on the forum in the last 24hrs?

Yup was down for around 5 hours last night...had to check the models as thought perhaps there was meltdown due to an impending ice age....there was also 700 viewing on TWO but upon further inspection whilst input was encouraging no major breakthrough that would cause meltdown was visible to my untrained eye....

4.5c in dreech Perth........hopefully maybe catch a shower or two tomorrow with cooler temps later overnight and cooler uppers tomorrow but not expecting much......more interested in the jam tomorrow offerings of the models....may venture in to that thread shortly although dont need to bother when SS LS and Lorenzo amongst others do such a fine job here.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Forum had technical issues last night and needed some TLC this morning to get it back together again..

Some amazing charts cropping up now as the evolution continues, going to be a weekend of drama on the models. Easterlies by their nature are fickle creatures and sometimes vanish into thin air..

Let's hope this time we start Feb as we mean to go on..North Sea snow machine at full tilt please !

post-7292-0-49999800-1327066331_thumb.pn

Posted

Forum had technical issues last night and needed some TLC this morning to get it back together again..

Some of the landing pages would suggest that a full reinstall of the Web service was done last night? IB attempts at trying to hide the cold evolution? :rofl:

Cold grey and damp would sum up today so far. 7C at last look. Mon' the snaw!!!

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Some of the landing pages would suggest that a full reinstall of the Web service was done last night? IB attempts at trying to hide the cold evolution? :rofl:

LMAO :rofl: even in my limited time on netweather I have discovered the wonder that is IB over on the model thread

Posted

chance of a bit of snow tomorrow afternoon for North NorthWest and centralish/west areas

http://www.weatheron...M=0&PERIOD==

but usual boderline rules apply with uppers about -4.... other factors will apply....altitude beneficial

chances for all come sunday on UKMO with http://www.weatheron...V=0&WMO==

wide precipitation and again uppers marginal http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ukmo&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t850&HH=60&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Edited by edodfc

Posted
tumbleweed-gif-4069.gifbit quiet in here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Tis a bit quiet - we're all scared to peek in the model thread in case things have changed again!! lol

Posted

Tis a bit quiet - we're all scared to peek in the model thread in case things have changed again!! lol

lol ive been on TWO model thread and all is well although its a case of kinda waiting on the 12z now! The 6z GFS ironically looking the best especially in FI..as usual.....I have resorted to looking myself as quiet in here ( 1, i like to be lazy and let the experts look and give us links! 2,My knowledge is of a low level so better that others comment) the GFS 0z is promising but again little agreement beyond t96....will the 12z deliver more of the 6z and even some cross agreement to allow us a spell to look forward to??? I suspect still not just yet as its gonna be a slow but zonally cool transformation to decent snow spell!!....

I will be brave and pop into model thread here for you see whats happening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

12z rolling away now.. will we have a rampede??!!

Posted

12z rolling away now.. will we have a rampede??!!

I hope so...I need some interesting model prospects to tear me away from late night Playstation which is what i default too when bored of the weather offerings and as i get addicted to it even more than the weather it means post 2am bedtimes with a baby who gets up at 6.30am......ironically though if snow prospects are good I simply then lampost watch to early hours #winwin #shouldnt hav bought the kids a PS3 #wife wants to know what 2 girls age 6 and 20mths need a PS3 and Fifa12 for!! lets not be sexist love i said

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Raw out today, snow lying - but melting - above about 180m around here. Odd spots of rain recently.

Winter tyres a blessing this morning as there was ice all over all but main roads. Just outside the house it was almost impossible to walk safely but the car zipped happily away leaving silly summer-tyred folk fish-tailing around. Heh.

We really need it to be a bit colder than is currently forecast otherwise it'll be a no-snow show for a lot of people on low-lying ground over the next couple of weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
I hope so...I need some interesting model prospects to tear me away from late night Playstation which is what i default too when bored of the weather offerings and as i get addicted to it even more than the weather it means post 2am bedtimes with a baby who gets up at 6.30am......ironically though if snow prospects are good I simply then lampost watch to early hours #winwin #shouldnt hav bought the kids a PS3 #wife wants to know what 2 girls age 6 and 20mths need a PS3 and Fifa12 for!! lets not be sexist love i said

Try going for more baby edodfcs, sex is a good cure for lots of late night nonsense.