Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 8th - 14th January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Not a very looking zonal pattern there...

post-7292-0-93135100-1326039592_thumb.pn

Troughing digging in well also.

post-7292-0-81029500-1326039744_thumb.pn

Posted

Id say this run is a small improvement on the 6z. So far.

High pressure over scandinavia further west and the low near the bay of biscay is bigger and digging in more.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS12z has the low west of Greenland 10mb deeper than the ECWMF at day 6.

This will not be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-45688100-1326039876_thumb.p

Zonal US trough or not, we indeed have a trigger low and that AH has ridged further south... compared to the 6z at least (which I know is not the right thing to do :p )

Posted

It looks like a much better run to me so far? We have a nice slider low in this one which could undercut the high and make an Easterly more likely. I think so anyway.

Posted

GFS12z does however develop the southern stream low south west of the UK so it may rescue itself.

Posted

Unfortunately the jet in the Atlantic is coming straight at us at T156

But this is the GFS.

A positive run IMO and backs last night 12z, and infact even improves on it

Rtavn15614.png

Edited by Matty M

Posted

Vortex is split on the NH chart, easterly is on the way even if i believe the ECWMF will be closer to the mark.

Posted

Surely this shows potential if nothing else? I also noticed earlier that Peter Gibbs mentioned on his forecast at lunchtime that he could be talking about colder weather by next weekend.

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1621.png

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

That low trying to dig in to the block to the east, doesn't get very far though and seems to weaken. Maybe if that struggles to push east maybe the jet will two??

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes even with te jet firing directly at us, it has to buckle with that huge high forming to the east, that's some mega WAA heading up north inflating the high

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Stronger heights over the arctic . Pv weaker and further west over greenland. Jet stream slightly weaker.

12z could be a stonker in FI

Posted

That low trying to dig in to the block to the east, doesn't get very far though and seems to weaken. Maybe if that struggles to push east maybe the jet will two??

You won't stop that sort of jet mate! But yea a positive run and the GFS often overdoes the Jet :)

Posted

Looks like the trigger low is too weak on the GFS12z.

What i will say is that that up to day 7 the GFS12z does show dilution of the vortex west of Greenland which is a positive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Stronger heights over the arctic . Pv weaker and further west over greenland. Jet stream slightly weaker.

12z could be a stonker in FI

Well considering some of the eye candy is only a week away, it may not even be considered FI!

Posted

You won't stop that sort of jet mate! But yea a positive run and the GFS often overdoes the Jet :)

Ye, probably wishful thinking. Does seem to split into 2 as it hits the block though.

Rtavn18016.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The problem that GFS has of overdoing lows coming in from the Atlantic is why it is giving a different solution when compared to GEM and ECM. it keeps trying to wind them up too much sending things further east. Given how GFS pretty much always downgrades these lows I modify every run it puts out in my mind in relation to that.

The 12z GFS has done exactly what I expected it to do start to play catch up with the ECM and GEM. It's very important I believe that the high pressure moves more North to stop PV having to much power and ruining our chances. On the latest run it has moved it further North and PV looks weaker than what it was on the 06z run this morning. That being said the PV is still there but on this afternoons update a move towards the GEM and ECM overall a improvement. All we need now is the ECM to stick to what it was saying to have more confidence in this. Sadly looking at the 12z UKMO it doesn't look all that great.

Posted

Yes GFs attempts to do something interesting at 168hrs but the jet is too strong and crashes through. I've seen several different times the GFS be overly agressive with the jet, though my gut is this time thats not a bad solution.

FI is looking interesting over the Arctic though, looks like its got a decent looking -ve AO going with decent heights there as well...