Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

cheers for that post - appreciate it!

Personally I think the South Coast (IOW/Southampton/Bournemouth) etc - does much better out of a channel low. I remember last year and the north of our region got plastered, but the southern coastal city's had a very nice accumulation too.

Probably too early to say how this one will turn out.....but for the South coast cities I'd say it'll be a now casting event, as it will most likely be very marginal - IMO - but the one thing in everyone's favor is the time of day this low moves over.......it's during the early hours when the temperatures are at their lowest anyway.

Going to be an exciting weekend whatever anyway! Lots of lampost watching coming up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Isle of wight out of the firing line by met office.....I think different though :-)

Posted

Isle of wight out of the firing line by met office.....I think different though :-)

I would think differently, the GFS clearly shows the Island joining in with the fun!

For everyone in here, I wouldn't get too down hearted if you don't get Snow this weekend... next week is looking increasingly interesting but also very dangerous for the UK, with the cold pool currently over the East being shifted further west; first over parts of the low countries then over the North Sea and into parts of E UK. I have been seeing this since yesterday and the last few model runs are very clear in showing this now. I

So I would be preparing now for this time next week!

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

My weather station has given up in the cold noooooooooooo. Off to see about a new one that can cope with cold!

Hoping and keeping everything crossed for a dusting of the white stuff this weekend in Christchurch!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

-5 already here

with a DP of -15 :shok:

Blimey clarkey.

Pretty good here at -1.9c here with a -6.6c dewpoint.

Sorry for slightly avoiding your question earlier with my rather long-winded post but I cannot honestly remember what the conditions were. All I can say was that there was entrenched cold well before last year's event occurred and that made the likelihood of snow more probable than not. :good:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Hope to get a dusting here on the outskirts of southampton to dont think it will be a lot before it turns to rain as milder air under cut the front amounts look to be pachy as it fragments pushing against the big cold air mass,next week could be verry tricky in are area as after a milder day monday we should look to the east if this comes off and that is a big if atm we will be chating about a proper snow event lets hope it plays ball next week.couse there will be disapointments this week end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

whats the consensus then, which locale do you guys class swindon as west or southern central?

cheers

marc

Stay with us mrsmall. There will be some very good analysis in here at times in the coming days.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Going to be VERY cold here already -1.8c brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Exactly, I would bravely predict an air frost for members from costa del Southsea as well. Localised microclimate or not, this east wind is a cold one. :cold:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Exactly, I would bravely predict an air frost for members from costa del Southsea as well. Localised microclimate or not, this east wind is a cold one. :cold:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Oi oi! Costa del Southsea... Love it!

Our local online weather station www.thatcham-weather.info has significantly lower dew points than you SB. I wonder why they differ so much?

Should be some good sledging up Beacon Hill on Sunday, where is your favoured spot?

Posted

On the posts regarding last years events,

Generally, they have both been channel lows although the one which occurred in 2010 (Jan was it??) was much more of a channel low compared to last Decembers (2010) trough which to the best of my understanding kind of came from Wales way.

agree with position of the front, Just over reading would be perfect for GTLTW and those west of it. For the whole region of us it needs to be over west london.

Im quite optimistic from the battleground, but as a review of my posts would read never a huge fan of raw easterly as the snow never tends to make it this far inland..though love the crisp clear blue. Ill be a bit more informative over next few days as situ unfolds, Meto being bullish though and I am always careful with this. I remember the disappointment we saw when we had something like -5 and a front approach, none of us believed the air would mix out...it did, and fell as rain.

Posted

My money is on a rainfest down here, these marginal events, I find never bode well for us down here. Even looking at last year I still have the satellite image that shows the UK covered snow, except, the Isle of Portland and the Poole area(remember it?)

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

My money is on a rainfest down here, these marginal events, I find never bode well for us down here. Even looking at last year I still have the satellite image that shows the UK covered snow, except, the Isle of Portland and the Poole area(remember it?)

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg

I spoke about that picture in an earlier post! Unbelievable really the whole country white and us absolutely nothing. Hoping it's not gonna be the case this weekend but part of me thinks it might :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

This also showed up on the ''Rain Today'' charts...NOW..If I was a conspiracy theorist !!!...well...I won't go there :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just a quick one from me before I'm off out again. I really feel some of us are going to get a pasting on Saturday evening. At the moment I would set the snow-only line as east of the IOW. But even those west of this line will get a good few hours of heavy snow, it might even remain that way. Even if we don't do well out of it, it looks very likely that the cold will make another comeback next week.

Tomorrow though will be another very cold but sunny day.

Posted

Oi oi! Costa del Southsea... Love it!

Our local online weather station www.thatcham-weather.info has significantly lower dew points than you SB. I wonder why they differ so much?

Should be some good sledging up Beacon Hill on Sunday, where is your favoured spot?

Who's SB? Anyway, I take it your meant me, Tony from Newbury and the only difference I can see is Steve Kelly's humidity reading is currently 49% and mine is 72%, clearly different. :rolleyes: I believe this would constitute a difference in dew points? Futhermore he owns an Oregon and I have own a cheap old Davis. :rofl:

As for the sledging question, I would go for my back garden but Combe Gibbett is good if you can up there. Having said that, we will probably get no snow anyway , however there's always the rest of February. :help:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Why has Met Office still predicting rain??

Also Netweather forecast is only 50% chance of snow in the Havant area which is 35Metres from sea level?

Edited by liam300

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Temp dropping here, almost too cold to go outside for a smoke! :o

Now -1.4 (-5.1 with windchill), humidity 56%, dewpoint -8.9

Posted

Why has Met Office still predicting rain??

Also Netweather forecast is only 50% chance of snow in the Havant area which is 35Metres from sea level?

Don't pay to much attention to the MetO at the moment, there forecast online is computer generated and theres a lot of firming up to do.

SM