Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

post-6740-0-91181500-1328180683_thumb.jp

BBC going from rougly birmingham south and eastwards. Im hoping for a slight westward shift from the models as its all a bit to close for comfort as things stand, however saying that the area that will probably see the most snowfall will be right on the western extent of the dividing line between rain and snow.

Posted

Leicester will do well out of this trust me , also coming in at a good angle so the fack leicesters in a dip wont make a difference. You lucky gits your gonna get inches and inches

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Twitchy bum time for us just to the north & west of Birmingham...We should be ok thought for some decent snowfall, just don't want the warm front shunting much further east though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Quote from Liam Duttons twitter

I've yet to look at the latest forecast, but whisperings that cold air lingering and snow are favoured a bit more. Updates later...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Twitchy bum time for us just to the north & west of Birmingham...We should be ok thought for some decent snowfall, just don't want the warm front shunting much further east though

Indeed, this is looking a right 'mare for here now.....need to see that front stall 100 miles further west....come on

Posted

Ahhh looking increasingly likely it won't trend any further west now, the models aren't backing down at all.

Posted

post-6740-0-91181500-1328180683_thumb.jp

BBC going from rougly birmingham south and eastwards. Im hoping for a slight westward shift from the models as its all a bit to close for comfort as things stand, however saying that the area that will probably see the most snowfall will be right on the western extent of the dividing line between rain and snow.

Noooooo!!! xxx

Posted

Ahhh looking increasingly likely it won't trend any further west now, the models aren't backing down at all.

Quite, we'll be hearing the drip drip of rain whilst we hear no end of the snow falling across the southeast. Might have to give the forum a miss for a couple of days.

Posted

All Current guidance is pointing towards Torrential Snow in Leicester Saturday night .. A 50 Mile shift West tonight and the rest of the Midlands can join in ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Quite, we'll be hearing the drip drip of rain whilst we hear no end of the snow falling across the southeast. Might have to give the forum a miss for a couple of days.

Come now CC...that's not set in stone....and rather misleading......it's simply a question of waiting and seeing and looking for any late in the day trends

Posted

All Current guidance is pointing towards Torrential Snow in Leicester Saturday night .. A 50 Mile shift West tonight and the rest of the Midlands can join in ..

Yes...lol. And if it doesn't shift west, I could be needing a new laptop come Monday

Come now CC...that's not set in stone....and rather misleading......it's simply a question of waiting and seeing and looking for any late in the day trends

I tell you what AJ, if there is a significant push west in modelling, I'll buy you a pint....infact, make that 2!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

I can't see it happening just going by previous bad luck, the models only seem to back fronts west if like last Sunday they were only going to scrape the region anyway.

With this shortwave I can see it ending up further east with not even any transitional snow for us in the West of the region.

To add to the poorness of this cold spell it still hasn't delivered a proper frost yet!!!

Posted

Yes...lol. And if it doesn't shift west, I could be needing a new laptop come Monday

I tell you what AJ, if there is a significant push west in modelling, I'll buy you a pint....infact, make that 2!

I'm not looking for a significant push back west, I'm actually fairly happy as it stands currently...I don't think the uppers will get mixed out as quickly as the 06z suggests, and currently I'd say the snowline is east wales eastwards....wouldn't surprise me to see snow to rain to snow to rain etc etc as local factors come into play (elevation, heat island effects etc etc)

I can't see it happening just going by previous bad luck, the models only seem to back fronts west if like last Sunday they were only going to scrape the region anyway.

With this shortwave I can see it ending up further east with not even any transitional snow for us in the West of the region.

To add to the poorness of this cold spell it still hasn't delivered a proper frost yet!!!

well not for you it hasn't....hard frost here this morning

Posted

Well we had a frost last night Conor.....-5.2 the low last night.....possibly -7 tonight I would think, as I type the temp is still at 0C

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Whilst it does look promising, remember what's happened before with such weather being forecast. Anything could happen. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Can anyone tell me why neither the Met Office nor the BBC has mentioned any risk of significant snow yet since it is only 2 days away now?

Posted

What do you call a proper frost? We've certainly had several recently, and I have high hopes for double figures tonight.

Posted

Can anyone tell me why neither the Met Office nor the BBC has mentioned any risk of significant snow yet since it is only 2 days away now?

The BBC has...it's been on the their forecasts this morning...check out the video forecast http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

The lunchtime Met Office updates will probably be up within the hour.......The reason why they haven't put out advisories was because there was so much uncertainty in the models...Now they're firming up, I'd expect early advisories going up later today

Posted

Because they can't nail down yet 100% where the risk will be .. Although I would expect something from them later today , they will probably do it as a risk assesment type warning .

Posted

Well I'll be routing for you Crewe , I have no biest what so ever as I live in what can only be described as a tropical rain forest down in the SW

Posted

Well I'll be routing for you Crewe , I have no biest what so ever as I live in what can only be described as a tropical rain forest down in the SW

Cheers Chris....going to need all the hope. We'll see what the 12zs bring eh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

okay, thanks. I am keeping everything crossed that Northamptonshire is one of the places on the target list for heavy snow. Together with the rest of the country.lol. We have been waiting all winter for a snow event like this to happen. Let's hope it doesn't end up being a false alarm right at the last moment.

Posted

okay, thanks. I am keeping everything crossed that Northamptonshire is one of the places on the target list for heavy snow. Together with the rest of the country.lol. We have been waiting all winter for a snow event like this to happen. Let's hope it doesn't end up being a false alarm right at the last moment.

Even if it is Snow to rain , which I doubt , Northampton will see Snow Saturday Evening ,,, Even if the front stalls to the West of the region you would be on the Eastern extent of the PPN and on the Coldest side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well it looks like the line of Snow-Rain is right above my head, Staffordshire. Im going to stay as positive as possible - but would I be surprised to see 3 snowflakes and then pure rain? Nope - and if it goes that way, just to pre-warn you my moan levels are going to be long and for many days.