Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

a few very light snow flurries earlier, main front for weekend, still should see some snow, but looks like all gone by daylight sunday, but hopefully front will be much slower moving, further west

Andy, seems like Ian Brown has plotted that chart!

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Guitar hero...

Want to scare off the Southerners? easy mention the word soap - they tend to run a mile from it... :)

:rofl: Thats like one of those jokes a stand up comedian does and people laugh but at the same time go "ooooohhhhhhhhh" :lol:

Posted

The GME is amazing but such a minor model, GFS & UKMO are also slightly better meaning the East of the region would see a decent snow event, still a snow to rain event west of Brum but hopefully if this trend continues were be safe!

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z GFS seems very good, pushed the snow/cold around 20 miles west, not perfect for W areas but better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The Met Office warnings were working a few mins ago, but not working again!

They have a warning for the western and central parts of our region with the eastern edge almost to Notts for Saturday, with 5cm mentioned. Then for the rest of the region further eastwards the warning is for Sunday with 5cm to 10cm predicted.

Hopefully it will come back soon but I just thought I would try to describe it because it seems most people can't see it, me included again now.

Latest GFS still good, maybe slight improvement in terms of T850 temps. Looking like 6-9 hours of snowfall possible :D

Should get my first snow since moving to Nottingham finally!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The GME is amazing but such a minor model, GFS & UKMO are also slightly better meaning the East of the region would see a decent snow event, still a snow to rain event west of Brum but hopefully if this trend continues were be safe!

Blimey mate, we might just see a dumping yet?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Going onto next week when the meto reckons it will be a north and west, south and east split regarding temps. Where does that leave us in the midlands? I take it we will still be fairly cold?

Edited by Potent Gust

Posted

The Met Office warnings were working a few mins ago, but not working again!

They have a warning for the western and central parts of our region with the eastern edge almost to Notts for Saturday, with 5cm mentioned. Then for the rest of the region further eastwards the warning is for Sunday with 5cm to 10cm predicted.

Hopefully it will come back soon but I just thought I would try to describe it because it seems most people can't see it, me included again now.

Latest GFS still good, maybe slight improvement in terms of T850 temps. Looking like 6-9 hours of snowfall possible :D

Should get my first snow since moving to Nottingham finally!

I always thought you were in Durham but I see you moved to Notts :D Welcome to the Midlands my friend, lets hope you brought the snow with you from what you are used to getting in Durham :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It looks like the 'zone of marginality' could coincide with the heaviest ppn...a very fine line indeed...Think it might be a good thing though as evaporated cooling might well factor in giving an absolute dumping somewhere in the Birmingham area if this output verifies

Posted

It looks like the 'zone of marginality' could coincide with the heaviest ppn...a very fine line indeed...Think it might be a good thing though as evaporated cooling might well factor in giving an absolute dumping somewhere in the Birmingham area if this output verifies

Leicester* area :winky: Preferably in LE3!

Posted

I'm thinking 15 miles north of brum......ST19 for example...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

WS1 and 26 miles NNW of brum would be even more preferable. Still think its on the edge tonight - snow to rain at 70-30% outcome me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

The models are always uncertain in these instances and disagree even as close as T6hrs. They are rarely spot on which is very important as there is such a fine line between: a snowfest, a rainfest or no precipitation at all.

Posted

Blimey mate, we might just see a dumping yet?!

I think it may even become a case of watching the radar on the day at this rate with the models swinging it west and east with each run when its now just 48hrs away.

One more shift west as much as the 12z has and the most snow since Feb 2007 would be guaranteed here so fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Think you may have missed the 1 out of that postcode there Andy! LE13 is ready to rumble! Just been lurking ready to strike when there may be a real risk! :rofl:

Edited by echobase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

so am i right in assuming Northampton area could well be in a good position for a good pasting then? Please god, let it happen.... just this once.

Posted

so am i right in assuming Northampton area could well be in a good position for a good pasting then? Please god, let it happen.... just this once.

I think i can say, yes.

Posted

No, never!......

I am joking of course....as it currently stands, you are in the sweet spot for quite a major event

Posted

Sorry to be a pain, but what's evaporated cooling?

Posted

Fingers crossed mate. I would say we are in a very good position indeed based on the CURRENT output. But boy oh boy have we been stung before, even this close to an event.

That said, the modelling of this has been more consistent than usual which is encouraging. And it's hard not to get excited by a run as peachy for this neck of the woods as the GFS.

We've been long overdue a dumping after last winter's disappointments, bring it on. :cold:

Posted

Sorry to be a pain, but what's evaporated cooling?

here you go..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooling#Physical_principles