Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

0.7C here -3 DP after last nights low of -5.5C.

Posted

On my phone now can anyone tell me the time estimate for the band to hit west Yorkshire (Leeds) please

Ragards love snow

Posted

hi reef, i was looking at your location that night, but wasn't too sure where you was on the radar, but it looked like you got the heaviest of the precipitation, they seemed to be a gap of about 5-6 miles between the 2 feeds of precipitation the one out the east over you was the heaviest, and I was right on the edge of the other stream which started off mainly light but gave me some fairly moderate snowfall before it slowly fizzled out.

I can't help but notice again our difference in temps, my current temp is 1.6c now, with your's lower and you are closer to the coast. I really must fix this, I don't know if it's something to do with my garden, or maybe my weather station is not as accurate as I thought when I purchased it for £199.99!

You'll struggle to get super accurate temps unless you spend serious money. Im running a Davis VP2 with 24hr FARS and the sensor itself is +/-0.5C compared to other stations which are generally +/-1 or 2C. Unless you're actually running a proper shield (rather than just a rainfall cover), you'll get radiation-induced warming during sunny days even when the station is in the shade. You'll also suffer lower minimums during the night due to the radiative cooling of the casing of the station.

At the end of the day theres always a limit of what you can do in the back garden compared to an open Met site.

Posted

Interesting forecast, perhaps a tad on the low side of predicted accumulation.

The NAE rainfall accumulation chart goes for widespread 12/19 mm. If we say 1mm=1cm of of snow then 12-19cm widespread seems appropriate. There are reports of powder snow on the North West thread which in essence almost doubles the amount of lying snow. Now while I don't expect totals of 40cm, 12/19cm seems a good bet.

12020512_2_0406.gif

Anyway the front will be here within the hour. Interesting to note the NAE had it arriving at 3/4pm, this been the cold front. The warm front which is on course for here now wasn't made into anything by the NAE. The cold front is catching up to the front as evident over the Irish sea on the rainfall radar. Perhaps slightly more snow than originally projected if indeed the warm front was under-estimated?

Current temperature: -1.c

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Having to access everything from my phone because my router has broken today of all days you couldn't make it up :-(

My station in w Yorkshire is reporting temp at 1.3, dew point -7 and wet bulb -1, is that cold enough for snow, temp seems a bit high and this is before the front even gets here?

Posted
Interesting forecast, perhaps a tad on the low side of predicted accumulation. The NAE rainfall accumulation chart goes for widespread 12/19 mm. If we say 1mm=1cm of of snow then 12-19cm widespread seems appropriate. There are reports of powder snow on the North West thread which in essence almost doubles the amount of lying snow. Now while I don't expect totals of 40cm, 12/19cm seems a good bet. 12020512_2_0406.gif Anyway the front will be here within the hour. Interesting to note the NAE had it arriving at 3/4pm, this been the cold front. The warm front which is on course for here now wasn't made into anything by the NAE. The cold front is catching up to the front as evident over the Irish sea on the rainfall radar. Perhaps slightly more snow than originally projected if indeed the warm front was under-estimated? Current temperature: -1.c

Hi Cheese,

There's always the chance of higher snowfall totals, the NAE chart you posted looks fantastic, and I hope we do get them levels, with the current projected temperatures, 0c isotherm, and dew points etc, saturation will be great, so the flakes could come down hard and thick.

Reason why my prediction on the total accumulations may look a little on the low side is because i'm taking the average across a majority of the models, not just the NAE. The NAE is the best case scenario with precipitation output, and there is no bad case because all models are in agreement, it's just the intensity/totals it'll be now casting for a lot of areas, as Harsh posted above, the precipitation already looks to be intensifying.

Interesting evening to come for sure.

Posted

Good to hear from you again Lewis!! Regarding the other night we got a good dusting but that was about it. It would seem the showers weren't that heavy here compared with other areas around here. Do you believe the snow cover will last long this week. The GFS suggests high pressure/cold surface temps where as the UKMO suggest getting milder with wind and rain from Wednesday onwards. Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Quite heavy now here, just starting to settle, ive got a feeling the North West thread could turn into a mauge, everyone on the coast is getting freezing rain.

Posted
  • Location: sheffield Latitude = 53.3647, Longitude = -1.5155 ASL : 135m
  • Location: sheffield Latitude = 53.3647, Longitude = -1.5155 ASL : 135m

0.c DP-7 so tantalizingly close to sheffield now, give it another 45 mins start to see something looks like the pennines is doing its job by slowing it down

Posted

Interesting forecast, perhaps a tad on the low side of predicted accumulation.

The NAE rainfall accumulation chart goes for widespread 12/19 mm. If we say 1mm=1cm of of snow then 12-19cm widespread seems appropriate. There are reports of powder snow on the North West thread which in essence almost doubles the amount of lying snow. Now while I don't expect totals of 40cm, 12/19cm seems a good bet.

12020512_2_0406.gif

Anyway the front will be here within the hour. Interesting to note the NAE had it arriving at 3/4pm, this been the cold front. The warm front which is on course for here now wasn't made into anything by the NAE. The cold front is catching up to the front as evident over the Irish sea on the rainfall radar. Perhaps slightly more snow than originally projected if indeed the warm front was under-estimated?

Current temperature: -1.c

I think the NAE tends to under estimate precipitation sometimes, just as most other models can. It had 0 precipitation for eastern scotland this morning, yet some places have had about 10-15mm!

Snow now moderate here with bigger flakes.

Posted

Light hail here with the odd bit of snow mixed in.

Posted

I think the NAE tends to under estimate precipitation sometimes, just as most other models can. It had 0 precipitation for eastern scotland this morning, yet some places have had about 10-15mm!

Snow now moderate here with bigger flakes.

That few miles makes all the difference!

Posted

0.c DP-7 so tantalizingly close to sheffield now, give it another 45 mins start to see something looks like the pennines is doing its job by slowing it down

Yes, not far from us. Just have a feeling that large heavy blob is going to pass just to the south of us though!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I'll be very happy with 5cm of snow later, but there could easily be so much more IMO.

Trust me, you are going to get more than that, 10cm possibly even more.

Posted

I dont like all these reports of freezing rain on low ground. This would suggest the cold air is pretty shallow with the milder air riding over the top.

Hopefully by the time it reaches further east the cold air will have mixed in a bit.

Posted

50/50 of snow and hail atm. Everything covered in a light dusting already, and its only been doing this for 10 minutes!

Posted

Good to hear from you again Lewis!! Regarding the other night we got a good dusting but that was about it. It would seem the showers weren't that heavy here compared with other areas around here. Do you believe the snow cover will last long this week. The GFS suggests high pressure/cold surface temps where as the UKMO suggest getting milder with wind and rain from Wednesday onwards. Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Hi GSL,

Likewise

I think they'll be a gradual thaw starting tomorrow morning. Temps are expected to reach 2-3c on the current GFS Sunday/Monday, with frost/ice overnight. So it'll just be a gradual thaw. With snow cover the models won't really take that into consideration, so we could hold onto colder temperatures. Models want to bring HP back from the East, and we pick up an easterly flow once again, but FI at the moment is today for me lol, i'll look for the next snowfall after we get this one as there's still disagreement with some models for next week.

Posted

I dont like all these reports of freezing rain on low ground. This would suggest the cold air is pretty shallow with the milder air riding over the top.

Hopefully by the time it reaches further east the cold air will have mixed in a bit.

Morely in Leeds is around 50m and is reporting light snow so I wouldn't be too fussed.