Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

it must be slightly colder today as the snow we had last night has not thawed where the sun cant get to, this time yesterday the snow we had wednesday night had all gone.

The ground got much lower last night under clears skies (e.g. -12 here)

Air temperatures are generally similar to yesterday.

Takes a while to thaw out if not in the sun, if it's clear the ground can continue to radiate heat and stay well freezing despite air being several degrees above..

Posted

Hi Jed,

The BBC do make me laugh. Just looked at their forecast for Leeds Bradford Airport tomorrow......I bet Cheese Rice is worried.... :rofl:

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296608

I wonder if they will take my £10 bet at William Hill in Otley that it does.........Payed by the BBC of course... :lol:

lol, they change their minds every 10 minutes. Hehe I doubt that, at his altitude it will be all snow, but for us lower down the chances of the snow turning to sleet/rain is a bit of a concern. East yorkshire and linconshire have nothing to worry about, think around lincoln/scun.thorpe/doncaster will get the highest totals of the low lying areas.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

I think almost everyone will see some snow tomorrow but for many it will be quite trivial amounts, less than an inch.

Whatever the predictions are, this side of the Pennines fronts from the west rarely give as much precipitation as the computers suggest.

Posted

definately seems as though the emphasis has shifted to the East Midlands and East Anglia - the latest BBC forecast has the snow ending here by 9pm with only about 4/5hours of snow here, as compared to heavier 12 for EA. If we get 5cms here, off the current output, i'd say that'll be a success. Anything more a bonus. Certainly Cambridge looks like taking a hammering, wouldn't rule out 5/6" for the hills of Bedfordshire.

Posted

Afternoon All,

So the met office have upgraded to AMBER - Issued at - 03 Feb 2012, 12:07

Valid from - 04 Feb 2012, 12:00

Valid to - 04 Feb 2012, 23:5

Watched look north and it showed no snow in barnsley but everywhere else in south yorkshire again taking that with a pinch of salt

hoping its gonna be a epic snow event tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

it must be slightly colder today as the snow we had last night has not thawed where the sun cant get to, this time yesterday the snow we had wednesday night had all gone.

I work in Spalding and as you say wednesday nights snow soon vanished well at least i thought, by the time i got back to Gosberton (about 16:30) gardens and fields were still white over there was even some compressed snow still left on my avenue.

Keeping fingers crossed for Saturday night now

Posted

Well last night was a complete waste of nothing, stayed up till all hours to see the showers diminish. Will do a forecast later on what I think may happen.

Posted

lol, they change their minds every 10 minutes. Hehe I doubt that, at his altitude it will be all snow, but for us lower down the chances of the snow turning to sleet/rain is a bit of a concern. East yorkshire and linconshire have nothing to worry about, think around lincoln/scun.thorpe/doncaster will get the highest totals of the low lying areas.

Yeh I am at 185m so hopeful...should get a few hours atleast.

When they forecast loads we get a bit, when they forecast a little we get loads......

Yeh I am at 185m so hopeful...should get a few hours atleast.

When they forecast loads we get a bit, when they forecast a little we get loads......

That is because the BBC are TOTALLY USELESS. They use one model and dont take everything else into account. Always work on the opposite to what the uttely crap BBC forcasy says. Rant over. P.S> good luck to you all

Posted

i still have this feeling its all going to go horribly wrong and we are going to get rain or nothing

That's the same feeling i have hopefully i am wrong

Posted

latest NAE have the snowline about 50miles further WEST and north - and the 12Z from GFS shows East Midlands in for a dumping. West Yorkshire folk like myself it could go either way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

That's the same feeling i have hopefully i am wrong

(This is in reply to Sparky too, sorry)...

The latest 12z NAE looks good for snow prospects, especially across southern Lincolnshire where I don't think you have much to worry about at all. Think about us further north who are much more on a knife-edge as to whether we see rain, sleet or snow!

12020500_0312.gif

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

(This is in reply to Sparky too, sorry)...

The latest 12z NAE looks good for snow prospects, especially across southern Lincolnshire where I don't think you have much to worry about at all. Think about us further north who are much more on a knife-edge as to whether we see rain, sleet or snow!

12020500_0312.gif

That looks just perfect :D

Posted

I know I keep asking sorry to be a pain.

But from the latest forecast its looking like south yorkshire my area barnsley will only see couple hours snow fall and then turning to rain?

Can someone confirm if this is correct or could we see a good 5-6 hour snow event and it will stay for a bit ??

Posted

That looks just perfect :D

well i hope that chart comes off and i wake on sunday morning to a good covering, on the flip side to that chart, i read on another thread that this will be a cpl of hours snow then rain, confused.com i am, but i guess that mother nature will dish out whatever she wishes.

Posted

well i hope that chart comes off and i wake on sunday morning to a good covering, on the flip side to that chart, i read on another thread that this will be a cpl of hours snow then rain, confused.com i am, but i guess that mother nature will dish out whatever she wishes.

Heres hoping we get a decent covering, our areas missed out the last winter so I think its our turn :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

But from the latest forecast its looking like south yorkshire my area barnsley will only see couple hours snow fall and then turning to rain?

Can someone confirm if this is correct or could we see a good 5-6 hour snow event and it will stay for a bit ??

The precipitation - whatever it turns out to be - looks like being across the region for approximately 6 hours judging by both the GFS and NAE... whether it's rain or snow we'll have to wait and see. Perhaps a more experienced member could give us an idea on where in our region is looking good for snow and where is looking marginal?

I'm in East Yorkshire and we've always been forecast to have a decent period of snow but we're on the very edge of the main area, so some reassurance would be nice!

Posted

Looking at the NMM and NAE, i would hazard a guess that we will see a decent amount of snow, 5cm to 10cm, although this will turn sleety on the back edge with a slow thaw once it clears (before temps drop again). Elevation will be your friend.

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-of-winte.shtml

Paul Hudson has updated his blog. Basically were going to see snow for several hours tomorrow with it being sleet or rain on the back end. It should be stressed though that this isn't set in stone, the only way to find out what will actually happen tomorrow is looking at the radar and nowcasting, this situation is stretching the most experienced forecasters so try not to take much notice of some of the wrist slashers on here are saying (not so much this regional forum but some posters in the significant snow thread). We could be subject to small upgrades or small downgrades in the morning check out the high res models for details of this.

Edited by jon86

Posted

Everybody will see snow i promise! 2-5cm low ground and in west and 5-15cm in the east/south east!

Posted

agreed. As things stand, tomorrow afternoon (this time tomorrow basically) we'll be seeing snow falling throughout West Yorkshire (where im obviously focusing on for this) where around 5cms is likely to accumulate. But from evening onwards it looks likely (at the moment) that it could start to turn back to sleety rain - producing widespread ice but also thaws where the snow has settled. I would suggest that those in southern Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire we'll see the best of any accumulations (potentially over 10cms), but as things stand I wouldn't expect much standing snow in Leeds come Sunday morning. Those in the moors and the high ground of the pennine chain should be fine, but hopes for those in Leeds/Bradford/Sheffield area, I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything too significant come Sunday morning,

Posted

Also some of the precipitation charts/maps show a tug back west of the colder air for the north of our region tomorrow night!