Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Good Morning All :acute:

Well it's still game on for tomorrow, does anyone think the met office will upgrade from YELLOW to AMBER?

Hoping to see a good 6-12 hours of snow fall for south Yorkshire :smilz38: :clapping:

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Could you post the lastest NMM model on here if its ok :) ?

If someone advises how i upload an image saved to my computer, there doesnt appear to be an option for me

Posted

If someone advises how i upload an image saved to my computer, there doesnt appear to be an option for me

Save them to the computer then on here click on more reply options and there should be an attachment feature under the text box. Upload on there then attach them on here :)

Posted

Here you go

3pm Saturday

post-11617-0-04722300-1328264887_thumb.j

7pm Saturday

post-11617-0-29706900-1328265021_thumb.j

10pm Saturday

post-11617-0-00532500-1328265043_thumb.j

Edited by CasMan

Posted

Here you go

3pm Saturday

post-11617-0-04722300-1328264887_thumb.j

7pm Saturday

post-11617-0-29706900-1328265021_thumb.j

10pm Saturday

post-11617-0-00532500-1328265043_thumb.j

Thats great. Thanks casman.

Looking like its an all snow event for yorkshire

Posted

Thats great. Thanks casman.

Looking like its an all snow event for yorkshire

Yep, just hope it stays like this, the GFS 06Z has it moving further east which would decrease our chances but isnt the NMM more reliable at this time frame? hope so

Posted

Yep, just hope it stays like this, the GFS 06Z has it moving further east which would decrease our chances but isnt the NMM more reliable at this time frame? hope so

The NMM runs at higher resolution at that time frame. At this range we should be looking at the NMM and NAE rather than the main operational's. Still looking decent tomorrow, although i think some decent elevation is needed if your wanting an all snow event. We'll see though!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Poor output yesterday evening and overnight for us in western parts of yorkshire, everything expected to be much further south and east than previously thought. So looking very good now for you in east yorkshire and linconshire. Although you should be just about safe at being above 150/200m cheese rice :vava: lol

Posted

Poor output yesterday evening and overnight for us in western parts of yorkshire, everything expected to be much further south and east than previously thought. So looking very good now for you in east yorkshire and linconshire. Although you should be just about safe at being above 150/200m cheese rice :vava: lol

So does that pull south yorkshire out of the race? or are we still in line for a good few hours of the snow?

Posted

TBH Harsh Climate, I think us in Leeds will do quite well out of this. Lots in the model thread seem to think the Atlantic front will be further West than the models are predicting. Not all model output was bad either, ECM was good the higer res models also show an all snow event for Yorkshire. I suppose there is a chance the snow could turn to rain on its back end but it's all about watching the radar and the NMM tomorrow. Maybe the 12zs will lift your spirits

Posted

So does that pull south yorkshire out of the race? or are we still in line for a good few hours of the snow?

With low elevation i think the back edge will turn to sleet/rain, going by the NAE and NMM. Saying that with decent elevation, and perhaps a small shift westwards and front being delayed, could make quite a difference.

Posted

I still think york southwards line will be all snow event for low ground. Lets see if 12z charts keep that westward trend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

This reminds me of a similar set-up New Years Eve (I think it was) five or six years ago. There was lots of talk of 'entrenched cold' and 'delayed advance of the front', and predictions for my location were for 'a serious dumping'. In the event it snowed for about three hours up till midnight or just after, by which time we had an inch or two of lying snow, then turned to rain and by 9.00 am the following morning there was no snow left to speak of. Now I appreciate that being relatively far west would have been a consideration, but the key thing for me is that the same thing happened for places like Leeds and Sheffield, where the colder air was supposedly going to be even more 'stubborn'. Now I'm not saying that the same will happen this time, but just illustrating that these types of set ups really are a knife edge, and can just as easily end in disappointment, given how even slight changes of temperature, angle and/or speed of frontal advance, or even wind strength/direction can have a significant bearing on how things pan out.

Posted

This reminds me of a similar set-up New Years Eve (I think it was) five or six years ago. There was lots of talk of 'entrenched cold' and 'delayed advance of the front', and predictions for my location were for 'a serious dumping'. In the event it snowed for about three hours up till midnight or just after, by which time we had an inch or two of lying snow, then turned to rain and by 9.00 am the following morning there was no snow left to speak of. Now I appreciate that being relatively far west would have been a consideration, but the key thing for me is that the same thing happened for places like Leeds and Sheffield, where the colder air was supposedly going to be even more 'stubborn'. Now I'm not saying that the same will happen this time, but just illustrating that these types of set ups really are a knife edge, and can just as easily end in disappointment, given how even slight changes of temperature, angle and/or speed of frontal advance, or even wind strength/direction can have a significant bearing on how things pan out.

Remember that well, stayed snow here and there were 5 foot drifts, but it did thaw slowly next day

Posted

Yes I still think we will see some accumulating snow but I think it may turn a bit slushy to low ground in western parts as milder uppers move in. The saving grace could be the 0 degree Isotherm looks very good still:

0degisotherm.png

0degisotherm.png

Even when uppers climb to -2hpa or -3hpa, with an isotherm as low as 0-200 I think the snow would remain all snow while heavy, probably turning sleety as it lightens and clears.

I think the precipitation will be that heavy, we can maybe get away with the marginality of the event (evaporative cooling) and of coarse low level cold entrenched over us will be hard to shift :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Yes at very least you should get to see a few hours of snow. Hopefully though it will all get pushed further west again and we get hammered :diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

so met office has updated their warnings, it is now amber, yaaaaaaay lol

Posted

so met office has updated their warnings, it is now amber, yaaaaaaay lol

you beat me to it, nice to see orange alert over yorks and lincs, fingers crossed we all see a cm or 2 over the weekend

Posted

Yup, metoffice certainly not buying the 'East only' scenario. I expect my home town (cambridge) to get at least 7/8cms while here in Leeds (thanking you sod) we'll get around 5. Anything more than that will be a surprise - though even GFS this morning gave us 11cms and Cambridge 12 so who knows! It will be a nowcast situation, I'm sure!

Posted

it must be slightly colder today as the snow we had last night has not thawed where the sun cant get to, this time yesterday the snow we had wednesday night had all gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

you beat me to it, nice to see orange alert over yorks and lincs, fingers crossed we all see a cm or 2 over the weekend

it is lovely to see, just hoping for a nice covering, take kids out in it and i can stop obsessing about it too lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Posted (edited) · Hidden by winterof79, February 3, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by winterof79, February 3, 2012 - No reason given

Zip as usual for Huddersfield

-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/02/03/basis06/ukuk/prty/12020500_0306.gif

Edited by winterof79
Posted

Yes I still think we will see some accumulating snow but I think it may turn a bit slushy to low ground in western parts as milder uppers move in. The saving grace could be the 0 degree Isotherm looks very good still:

0degisotherm.png

0degisotherm.png

Even when uppers climb to -2hpa or -3hpa, with an isotherm as low as 0-200 I think the snow would remain all snow while heavy, probably turning sleety as it lightens and clears.

I think the precipitation will be that heavy, we can maybe get away with the marginality of the event (evaporative cooling) and of coarse low level cold entrenched over us will be hard to shift :)

Hi Jed,

The BBC do make me laugh. Just looked at their forecast for Leeds Bradford Airport tomorrow......I bet Cheese Rice is worried.... :rofl:

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296608

I wonder if they will take my £10 bet at William Hill in Otley that it does.........Payed by the BBC of course... :lol: