Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Yeah it'd be cool if the showers pushed inland but there making pretty slow progress. Scarborough looks to be prime position though for any snowfall today.

Been snowing very lightly for about an hour here, not even heavy enough to wet the floor!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

GFS 12z rolling out now and it appears to be better for snow lovers across our region with the precipitation moving in slightly later and the snow risk extending a little further west. Must remember it's only one run though and there's still a long way to go before we know exactly what's going to happen... and that may well not be until the event is right on our doorsteps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Been snowing very lightly for about an hour here, not even heavy enough to wet the floor!!!!!!!!!

Im surprised the showers managed to get that far west, Its usually rain in Normanton too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Rain radar looks good for areas North of the humber, might just make it across to the south, can't see how it could miss here tbh it just seems to keep building. However, in the past I've seen these die out as the sun goes down so not keeping my hopes up too much!

As for the present, its been snowing constantly here for about the last 3 hours, however its the thinnest, sightliest snowfall you can possibly imagine.

Posted

afternoon everyone, well around 48hrs to go until hopefully we see some meaningful snowfall, i am a complete novice at viewing models etc and look forward to the more experienced keeping the good news comming and the excitement building, i have just seen an updated metoffice forecast for here this evening and they forecast light snow from 6pm till 9pm, could this possibly be true. lol

Posted

Been a while since I've been on here. Having a relatively warm winter hasn't bothered me too much but it it nice to see some snow on our horizon.

Edited by reef
I think this is best left

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Posted · Hidden by reef, February 2, 2012 - As above
Hidden by reef, February 2, 2012 - As above

Been a while since I've been on here. Having a relatively warm winter hasn't bothered me too much but it it nice to see some snow on our horizon. Usually there is about 100 posts from Lewis.

Where has he gone? Has he banned? I miss his posts....

Yeah, I think he got banned, no idea why though

Posted

Pennine-hi! I'm close by to you in Linthwaite at 160m up...what do you think our chances are for the snow to stay as snow & how much do you think we'll get?

Posted

Can people help me in trying to establish just how much snow Leeds is likely to see this weekend? I imagine, based of latest outputs and Meto warnings, it would be somewhere around the 10cm mark overnight on Saturday, but am used to being in Cambridge this time of year and not really sure of the classic scenarios in this part of the country! Typically, East Anglia (I think) should fair even better (or worse, i guess) for snowfall.

EDIT: the charts now uploaded on netweather show roughly what the meto is forecasting and then GFS produces another 4-6 inches of snow for the NE a week today, which is always nice to see. Just wondering how frontal snow usually affects this area, i always think human experience is as important as model indications

Edited by ITSY

Posted

Can people help me in trying to establish just how much snow Leeds is likely to see this weekend? I imagine, based of latest outputs and Meto warnings, it would be somewhere around the 10cm mark overnight on Saturday, but am used to being in Cambridge this time of year and not really sure of the classic scenarios in this part of the country! Typically, East Anglia (I think) should fair even better (or worse, i guess) for snowfall.

Central northern england historically does the best in these situations. For example in 1995 30cm of snow fell in three hours. Although I don't expect that to happen we can expect 13-15cm of snowfall as highlighted below in the accumulation charts

post-8968-0-21683300-1328201635_thumb.gi

Red is current highest totals, white is where I expect it to be in future runs which are likely to push it further west.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

look set to see some moderate snowfall by perhaps 6-6.30pm. Very slow moving, so once it arrives may stick around for a good hour or two.

Edited by reef
As above

Posted

Also to give you an idea of how its much more likely to snow here. .

December 3rd 2008 frontal snowfall of 10-15cm lasted for 1-2 weeks, rain in most places

post-8968-0-39041600-1328201811_thumb.pn

February 2011 frontal snow- 7-11 cm while it was pretty much just Leeds Bradford and pennine areas that saw snow instead of rain, temperatures of double figures in the south at the time.

post-8968-0-79431400-1328201962_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, February 2, 2012 - He is and it most certainly wont!
Hidden by reef, February 2, 2012 - He is and it most certainly wont!

Lewis is on here but I think his posts have been deleted, I guess he is banned but it will probably be lifted in time

http://forum.netweat...ilymailweather/

Edited by Cheese Rice
Posted
Posted · Hidden by ITSY, February 2, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by ITSY, February 2, 2012 - No reason given

Central northern england historically does the best in these situations. For example in 1995 30cm of snow fell in three hours. Although I don't expect that to happen we can expect 13-15cm of snowfall as highlighted below in the accumulation charts

post-8968-0-21683300-1328201635_thumb.gi

Red is current highest totals, white is where I expect it to be in future runs which are likely to push it further west.

Thanks for that! I'm a good deal lower than you though I think! Around Hyde Park way, I think we're about 75-80 Meters above sea level (unless someone can tell me otherwise!) and so youre over twice my elevation! still, 13cms of snow would be lovely!

Posted

Thanks for that! I'm apparently 93meters above sea level though, so you're over twice my elevation which may reduce my snow potential as compared to yours! still, higher than where I used to live, and not sure how much difference it will make in this situation

Posted

Thanks for that! I'm apparently 93meters above sea level though, so you're over twice my elevation which may reduce my snow potential as compared to yours! still, higher than where I used to live, and not sure how much difference it will make in this situation

It depends what part of Leeds. I'm guessing you live round Headingley way I live pretty near (Cookridge)

Posted

We've just had a light snow flurry here which has left a sprinkling.

It'll be interesting if that area of precipitation in the North Sea can make it this way. At the moment it looks pretty stationary though.

Posted

Im surprised the showers managed to get that far west, Its usually rain in Normanton too.

That is true but we have done well the last 2 winters, currently a little bit heavier and a slight covering on the car and shed roof.

Posted

We've just had a light snow flurry here which has left a sprinkling.

It'll be interesting if that area of precipitation in the North Sea can make it this way. At the moment it looks pretty stationary though.

we just got "your" light flurry here in Barton just starting to stick (1st since last year lol)

Posted

Its still snowing lightly and starting to stick on cars and grass.

Theres a few heavier echos in this area of light snow now on the radar, so a dusting could be possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

lovely dusting on the cars :) getting excited for (fingeras crossed) the big event Saturday ! :D :D

Posted

New met office weather warning out, looks good!

ellow Alert of Snow05 Feb 2012, 00:00

Issued at - 02 Feb 2012, 12:46

Valid from - 05 Feb 2012, 00:00

Valid to - 05 Feb 2012, 12:00

A band of snow will continue to move slowly eastwards across England during the first half of Sunday. This may be heavy initially but will tend to die out during Sunday morning. Total accumulations from this snow event are likely to be of order 5-10cm in many places; this includes low lying areas. The public are advised that this is likely to lead to some travel disruption, and should pay close attention to forecasts as the event approaches

Edited by pottyprof
sorted for you.. :o)