Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Hehe too true. Nothing like walking home *drunk* and it's snowing :D

Agreed. An England win, plenty of strong continental ale, get back in, kiss the Missus and turn my attention to a large pizza and watch the snow continuing outside from my conservatory.

Don't want to be picky though......... :whistling:

Posted

Not sure what forecast you were watching Sparky but Paul Hudson said heavy snow for our area from late evening to early hours but if you are travelling west the more chance it will be sleet/rain

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Is the below chart still showing snow still over Yorkshire at 1am Sunday Morning, am i reading this correctly ?, bearing in mind it is due to hit about 2-3pm on Saturday, thats a lot of continous snow

post-11617-0-23458700-1328307243_thumb.j

Posted

This is where I am currently expecting the heaviest falls of snow saturday/sunday

In the red zone I'm expecting widely 7-15cm. (Due to the marginalty of this situation heaviest accumulations will be restricted to above 100m)

In the orange zone 5-10cm. (Down to sea Level)

In the Yellow zone 1-5cm. (Down to sea Level)

I expect that narrow red strip to get the heaviest accumulations due to an abundance of moisture pushing in from the north west and marginal uppers, this will only aid precipitation and I would expect to see some locally huge flakes associated with snowfall at marginal temperatures (could be some good hourly snow rates :) ).

The orange zone should also see some intense periods of snow, less in the north east at first but as the front backs west on sunday and grinds to a halt, this area should be set for a good period of snow. With long periods of moderate snow in the linconshire area saturday/sunday.

The western part of the yellow zone will probably be too marginal for the highest totals of snow, the wet nature of it should restrict snow totals (But a shift west in the charts again could very well change this ; ).) And in the southern part of this zone I think the front should be weakening with mainly light perhaps moderate at times accumulations, so not expecting too much here.

Sorry about my map been a bit sketchy, was the only map I could find and had to use paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-4607-0-91908000-1328213310_thumb.gif

Think I might stick with my early forecast might not be too far off the mark :p Maybe add the orange zone to the red zone though and put north east england in the yellow zone.. :whistling:

Not sure what forecast you were watching Sparky but Paul Hudson said heavy snow for our area from late evening to early hours but if you are travelling west the more chance it will be sleet/rain

I think the highest snow total tomorow will either be cheece rice on highish ground in the west or somewhere near lincoln.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Believe this will be the thread to be in tomorrow early evening - the NW thread being the best place in the afternoon.

I do think peak district/south yorkshire and lincolnshire will see some of the heaviest snowfall tomorrow as this is where the front is due to stall a little and therefore precip will pep up.. places with a bit of height will do very well.

Overnight - the east midlands/cambridgeshire and west parts of east anglia will see the heaviest snowfall.

Snowiest city by end of tomorrow possibly Sheffield I would imagine.

Posted

Think I might stick with my early forecast might not be too far off the mark :p Maybe add the orange zone to the red zone though and put north east england in the yellow zone.. :whistling:

I think the highest snow total tomorow will either be cheece rice on highish ground in the west or somewhere near lincoln.

One other thing I have noticed tonight which was a bit weird, the council came up our close spreading salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. they have to much on the shelf after this years mild winter or

2. they expecting lots of snow tomorrow? :p

Posted

One other thing I have noticed tonight which was a bit weird, the council came up our close spreading salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. they have to much on the shelf after this years mild winter or

2. they expecting lots of snow tomorrow? :p

Id say number 2:) but number 1 also, they probably haven't gritted your close before as they will have been short on salt and reserved it for the main A roads and motorways.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

When I look on the netweather 7 day forecast for tomorrow, its saying sleet all the way through with fairly low percentages for snow.

For once, I hope BBC is right...

Posted

A quick snowfall total maps based on the NAE

post-8968-0-58865200-1328311099_thumb.pn

BROWN- Heavy snowfall, may be wet in nature with sleet at the coasts, 15-17mm projected. Large snowfall variations, around 5-20cm of snow. Highest accumulations further west around 150/200m+, coastal regions around 5cm at best. Perhaps turning to rain up to 10 miles from the coast.

ORANGE- Heaviest accumulation expected here, 15/18mm projected. Zero marginality further south and east, perhaps slight wet snow on low ground in western parts of Yorkshire for a time. Accumulation widespread 13-21cm expected.

GREEN- Heavy snowfall, margin for error for western extent of snow. As a result the further west the more likely to see wet snow. 11/14mm projected. 5-15cm of snow, highest accumulation in the east of the region

PINK- Moderate to heavy snowfall, 10/13mm projected. Zero marginality. Widespread 11-16cm expected. Less accumulations in the far south east, due to weakening of the precipitation.

Posted

Lewis, are you around, watching this thread in another name? your forecasts are sorely missed and also Beverley Lass and Wolds Owl ( Hope I have the names correct!!) Grab my Graupel is another name missing! Nice to see Gobbyash and Reef from this area!

Snow is certainly looking good for the weekend, I have the shovel ready!!!

Rosedale

woldsowl here, still lurking. Snow last night and -8.5 and its survived the sun today, but not sure I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Footy at Hillsborough, will it be abandoned? Then a painful drive home through the worst of it. (loving it really, bring it on). Shovel in the car.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Lewis, are you around, watching this thread in another name? your forecasts are sorely missed and also Beverley Lass and Wolds Owl ( Hope I have the names correct!!) Grab my Graupel is another name missing! Nice to see Gobbyash and Reef from this area!

Snow is certainly looking good for the weekend, I have the shovel ready!!!

Rosedale

Not seen or heard from Brian (Grab my Graupel) for quite some time, he was last active on netweather in early October. I know he had health issues a few years ago so i just hope hes alright.

Posted

A quick snowfall total maps based on the NAE

post-8968-0-58865200-1328311099_thumb.pn

BROWN- Heavy snowfall, may be wet in nature with sleet at the coasts, 15-17mm projected. Large snowfall variations, around 5-20cm of snow. Highest accumulations further west around 150/200m+, coastal regions around 5cm at best. Perhaps turning to rain up to 10 miles from the coast.

ORANGE- Heaviest accumulation expected here, 15/18mm projected. Zero marginality further south and east, perhaps slight wet snow on low ground in western parts of Yorkshire for a time. Accumulation widespread 13-21cm expected.

GREEN- Heavy snowfall, margin for error for western extent of snow. As a result the further west the more likely to see wet snow. 11/14mm projected. 5-15cm of snow, highest accumulation in the east of the region

PINK- Moderate to heavy snowfall, 10/13mm projected. Zero marginality. Widespread 11-16cm expected. Less accumulations in the far south east, due to weakening of the precipitation.

Would CERTAINLY bite your hand off for that - though I strongly doubt we'll see anything near 20cms away from the highest points of the Eastern Moors - but hats off to you if we get that here in Leeds. Shame that rain looks like coming in to spoil the party on Sunday night, no doubt causing Ice problems along the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Another good forecast by the BBC showing heavy snow all over the region.. Leeds got a mention. :good:

Posted

Huge forecast this morning for the E/SE Midlands + Lincs, including some parts of Yorkshire. Particularly for those first 3 locations as a whole, things look comfortably on the right side of marginal to keep this an all-snow event, with a possibility of 10 hours continuous snowfall for some areas as that fronts starts to grind to a halt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Good Morning All,

Chilly start here at -7º C exactly.

I have my brand new plastic snow shovel awaiting events ..

(*special wave to Rosedale just up the road, who mentioned me amongst others)

BL :)

Posted

Brrrrr, -5.3C here In Scarborough. I always expected this event to downgrade so imagine my surprise checking the BBC forecast this morning! :)

Net weather forecast doofer has us down for 25mm of snow in 9 hours! I work that out at about 22cm's if it's right.

Can't wait!

Posted

- 7c here too morning, well this time tomorrow we will know what happens, its like waiting for xmas day to arrive just more fun

Posted

- 7c here too morning, well this time tomorrow we will know what happens, its like waiting for xmas day to arrive just more fun

Another harsh frost -6c feels colder than yesterday

Looking forward to later!!!

Posted

Another harsh frost -6c feels colder than yesterday

Looking forward to later!!!

Just watched the BBC forcast and hopefully this time they are right as it could be a snow event right through before temps dip in the early hours of Sunday.