Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

NFCOTCO. :p

I got the F and will work on the rest!

Thing is HC, RJS is not normally prone to ramping? 99%%? He is a very clever guy and I sat up and took notice. That is some cold. Who knows what may happen when/if it starts heading over the North Sea? I just don't think the models have got to grips with it yet.? I can see this turning into a radar/sat job nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice cold sunny winters day, anyone seen Dennis Quid walking aboot? ;)

Please God..............No!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

RJS ramps like buggery, it's just that last winter and the one before he happened to get it right. Before that he used to predict mini ice ages that fizzled out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

On the positive the met office update suggests they think there may be a continuation of an easterly influence after the weekend - so still weeks of Winter to go yet and lots of potential on the table.

(I am in an optimistic monday mode)

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I think OTR the optimism is the right way to go just now. I think everyone is correct when saying that let the cold get here and we will continue to see the block further west. Then into the weekend the atlantic trys to get back in and in turn these developments thereafter determine where things go. However the strat thread is very positive and could well see most of the east of uk keep cold and we then see things move to the north/north east so could well be cold for some time.

I think we need to wait for the 12z and see if the potential upgrades are there for snow in the nearer term. Today out in the north sea we have some precipitation awaiting and its pretty chilly out!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

rain radar shows the next front working its way slowly in. There is a widening gap in the front though coinciding nicely (or not) with where it will hit east coast Scotland! ah well.

temp here up to 3C, nearly 4C, DP of -4C. feels very bbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr. Some snow showers in the vicinity earlier but think we have missed them here in the city.

The look in the model thread left me confused. Even over on TWO it is a bit of a them versus us. cold this week, maybe still cold next week. that's about it?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

rain radar shows the next front working its way slowly in. There is a widening gap in the front though coinciding nicely (or not) with where it will hit east coast Scotland! ah well.

temp here up to 3C, nearly 4C, DP of -4C. feels very bbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr. Some snow showers in the vicinity earlier but think we have missed them here in the city.

The look in the model thread left me confused. Even over on TWO it is a bit of a them versus us. cold this week, maybe still cold next week. that's about it?!

GRRRRRRRRRRR that gap looks destined for here!! Then again it is 3.8c here so we not in particularly cold air yet even though it has peaked for the day one would imagine

Posted

on another note see linky for new vasectomy method..... sorry couldnt resist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16756381

hope to goodness there is snow to talk about soon :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Was wondering why we had an alert for -6c. Is that not when we contemplate looking out the jumper, or in BM's case extra thermals. :rofl:

Thermals? Nah, I just wrap another sheep round me and I do fine! If we do get snowmageddon, northernlights'll find his flock curiously decreased as I stay nice and cosy... :)

Bright sunshine earlier has clouded over to bright-overcast. Still bone-dry. XC sex 4C, d-p of 0, 10mph SE, pressure 1029. Off to Fife to My Young Man as usual so if the huge blizzards could hold off til tuesday c.10am, please... :)

BleakMidwinter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

on another note see linky for new vasectomy method..... sorry couldnt resist http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-16756381

hope to goodness there is snow to talk about soon :)

http://www.vasreversal.co.uk/pain.html

I got as far as considering an epididymectomy but the thought of further surgery filled me with horror. :shok: :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Ah, fond memories of seeing two Borders sides play at, iirc, Melrose one really cold winter's day and when the scrum broke up there, for just a moment, was the perfect outline of the scrum in steam!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Why is there so little discussion about the mass in the North Sea?

Aberdeen looks perfect for 4-5pm and with a dew point of -4C it will not be rain.

Posted

Why is there so little discussion about the mass in the North Sea?

Aberdeen looks perfect for 4-5pm and with a dew point of -4C it will not be rain.

I'm keeping a close eye on it! The northern arm seems to be holding together better than what it looked the last time I had a gander. Cold enough I think, but dont think precip will be too heavy nor will it get very far inland at all. Still, good weather watching!

Edited by thebigyin

Posted

http://www.vasreversal.co.uk/pain.html

I got as far as considering an epididymectomy but the thought of further surgery filled me with horror. :shok: :ph34r:

ooooooof well perhaps mildly better than dennervation but cant say would choose either...... thats bookmarked for when the thorny subject comes up after birth number 3!!!

In shock weather related news the models do not look like there is a lot of precipitation for this evening so can only hope the fax was accurate as it indicated more action!! I think RJP Ramp must be the biggest ramp I have ever read and given the levels of warnings now received if any danger at all the METO would call that at least by end of tomorrow!!

Cmon the beast and the north sea snow making machine..im hopin this is one of these weeks go to bed with nothing expected and awake to a raging blizzard!!

Posted
Why is there so little discussion about the mass in the North Sea? Aberdeen looks perfect for 4-5pm and with a dew point of -4C it will not be rain.

yeah looks nothing like the mass spotted on November 27th 2010....I radar watched from 2pm until midnight the 30 hours of snow roll in starting at midnight....whilst watching the greatest match of the day ever when the last game was a 2-2 draw and i knew none of the scores because had watched the radar and models all day!!

I am hopeful of a bigger mass forming behind as per last nights fax or is this simply what was progged tonight arriving early?? only just back on net so a bit behind.... hopefully net at home fixed when return but could be 5 days so any snowfall may be a surprise as may not have a radar #liketheolddaysiguess

Posted

yeah looks nothing like the mass spotted on November 27th 2010....I radar watched from 2pm until midnight the 30 hours of snow roll in starting at midnight....whilst watching the greatest match of the day ever when the last game was a 2-2 draw and i knew none of the scores because had watched the radar and models all day!!

I am hopeful of a bigger mass forming behind as per last nights fax or is this simply what was progged tonight arriving early?? only just back on net so a bit behind.... hopefully net at home fixed when return but could be 5 days so any snowfall may be a surprise as may not have a radar #liketheolddaysiguess

Not sure. Just had a look at the loop on http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true and there does seem to be a second band behind the current band that is about to land here! Looking out the window and at the radar I think it has lost most of its mojo before it gets here though. The second band for later on this evening may be more potent, but have to say looks weaker. After these there may be the odd flurries that catch us out through the night so you never know!

EDIT - first band arrived here. the wife says there some wet bits of snow at home. here at the harbour too dark outside to tell - looks damp though. The band has pretty much disintegrated anyway!

Edited by thebigyin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Just had another gander at NAE and the pink blob has diminished in size somewhat and is more west now. No sign of pink on there for any of the east at all for the next 48 hours - of course this could all change with little notice lol!

Posted

You remember that! I thought only I would remember a night like that.

It was very exciting watching the mass yellow blob coming in from the North Sea and temperatures were sub zero so we knew it would snow and lie.

Started about 9pm until midnight and deposited around 6 - 8".

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

From what I recall of previous snow watching, fronts tend to be pretty disappointing, particularly where they make landfall, but do tend to prep up a bit inland before eventually dying away. Also, shower activity tends to give heavier precipitation over a long timescale behind the main front.

This appears to be the 'dead' occlusion http://nwstatic.co.uk/fax/PPVA89.png Behind it is a more meaningful trough, I think.

Posted

Just had another gander at NAE and the pink blob has diminished in size somewhat and is more west now. No sign of pink on there for any of the east at all for the next 48 hours - of course this could all change with little notice lol!

there are a few wee echos starting to appear further out to sea now so would be surprised if there were not more showers to be honest, though it may confined to the coasts.

Still on/off hail/graupel/sleet here. It is starting to spread inland a bit but seems to be fizzling out all the time. EDIT - Heavy wet snow now. I give up.