Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted

So then Mr Sherminator, you get heavy snow in winter, good plume thunderstorms in summer, american supercells & tornadoes in the spring......whilst in the west midlands I get drizzle, 'slizzle', trenchfoot from the permanent soggy ground and the makings of a horrible brummy accent......Fancy a life swap?? :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: No :rofl: :rofl: Nay :rofl: :rofl: Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love living here, it is almost a Continental Climate with Great Snows from the East, Great Storms (When they occur) in the Summer.

If I had to be picky Autumn is not great and pretty boring :help: I'll get me coat before I feel Aj's Boot up me backside, quit while your ahead Shermy!

Posted

Some real uncertainty regarding the set-up for the weekend. It is still FI but the models are now developing a weak low along the frontal zone and that will serve to really pep up the system as it ploughs into the higher pressure. We could well be placed decently providing that does happen. It would mean that we will lose the coldest of the uppers but it would give a big event before it turns less cold and probsbly back to a wintry mix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Are we expecting any convective activity in this part of the world in the next couple of days? just read Weatherwatchers summary into the weekend and largely summarised by saying 'dry and cold' almost everywhere (to Friday).

Posted

Whys that I didnt see his forecast

S

He talked about the possible battleground at the weekend and range of outcomes. Interesting stuff - they may run it again on News Channel just before the 9pm news.

If not, then here's the link!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16821819

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I love living here, it is almost a Continental Climate with Great Snows from the East, Great Storms (When they occur) in the Summer.

If I had to be picky Autumn is not great and pretty boring :help: I'll get me coat before I feel Aj's Boot up me backside, quit while your ahead Shermy!

I'll be out with you stateside one year Paul, as long as my other-half stops dropping out mini-AJ's....lol

Posted

I know at this stage the weekend is still firmly in FI considering how the models have performed lately, but are we in the se REALISTICALLY going to see anything decent this weekend from this pathetic attempt of an easterly?

We had an icing sugar dusting of Graupel this morning but apart from that its been Dull,misty and generally boring!! Just glanced the model thread and it seems its the spine of the country thats inline for a pasting at the weekend with bugger all for us.

Its ironic really how we finally get an easterly flow and its the west and spine of the country that sees any snow! I fear time is running out and this winter won't live long in the memory. If anyone could raise my spirits please do lol!

M

Posted

Some real uncertainty regarding the set-up for the weekend. It is still FI but the models are now developing a weak low along the frontal zone and that will serve to really pep up the system as it ploughs into the higher pressure. We could well be placed decently providing that does happen. It would mean that we will lose the coldest of the uppers but it would give a big event before it turns less cold and probsbly back to a wintry mix.

Prefer Bombay Mix to Wintry Mix, at least you know what you are getting. Actually, no....... that's not right is it.... what are those little green things?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Could anyone give a little summary of what is expected in the next few days (snow wise please)? I'm so new to this I aint got a clue.

Also in return, I'm doing the knowledge of London, and hope to finish soon! So anyone how does help me can get a fare free ride in my cab. :acute: (Distance permitting though :p )

thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

I think the problem (well certainly for me), is that we had such a fantastic winter last year, nothing can compete with it... so it will be disappointment all the way :( . Saying that, I'm loving the wintriness at the moment and love the 'promise' that this final month of winter is bringing!

Let's be positive and enjoy what we get.....then we can start thinking about the sweltering summer we're bound to have :acute:

Posted

I know at this stage the weekend is still firmly in FI considering how the models have performed lately, but are we in the se REALISTICALLY going to see anything decent this weekend from this pathetic attempt of an easterly?

We had an icing sugar dusting of Graupel this morning but apart from that its been Dull,misty and generally boring!! Just glanced the model thread and it seems its the spine of the country thats inline for a pasting at the weekend with bugger all for us.

Its ironic really how we finally get an easterly flow and its the west and spine of the country that sees any snow! I fear time is running out and this winter won't live long in the memory. If anyone could raise my spirits please do lol!

M

Well, It depends on how far the front moves and where it stalls. No point trying to workout where its gunna end up as it can change all the way up to an hour before the actuall event. However, if the precip does reach us in the South-East, we are in the best position to get snow rather than sleet or rain due to the coldest uppers hovering over us rather than the rest of the country.

Posted

I cannot remember the last good storm we seen in London and the home counties.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Would it be a 'big event' in this part of the World? I have seen many warnings of severe weather in my life, where a forecast reasonably large fall of snow is then predicted to turn to rain / sleet, with dire predictions of travel chaos beforehand. It always seems to me that we get a very short period of snow, giving a covering of 1cm or so of wet snow, which quickly turns to rain. Unless the fronts stall, or are forced back, I'm highly cynical of this type of forecast in lowland SE England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

I remember that as was at tesco stockpiling wine due to the oncoming snow, and it came down really heavy in west London!

Posted

Doesnt matter at mo does it!! we wont know till nearer the time when we see cold wins or mild wins.. if the mild wins nobody will care about the snow event cuz you know its going to turn slushy then wet.. if its cold wins then its all eyes on the radar to see if it will come this far then halt and dump loads of snow.. but you know what will most likely happen on the cold win one... the snow doesnt reach us before pulling away back west. Then we are back to the waiting game again!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Bit dead in here without the snizzle excitement, maybe I should go and do some hoovering or something until the next radar alert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

I remember that as was at tesco stockpiling wine due to the oncoming snow, and it came down really heavy in west London!

A girl after my own heart! :drunk: Preparation for bad weather is all about priorities!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

M

You live in Heybridge, which is near the coast. I'd think you have more chance of snow than most people here. :) Personally I think some people on these forums pay too much attention to each change in the forecasting models - a waste of time and energy unless it's your living. I reckon you'll see snow before the weekend.

Posted

ha ha! just read our latest Meto update-

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Thursday very cold, mostly cloudy but generally dry. Friday very frosty start, dry, staying cold. Saturday dry and frosty start, then rain or snow probably arriving later, staying cold.

Updated: 1828 on Tue 31 Jan 2012

that says "i can't be bothered with the models anymore, it's going to be cold and it might snow... or not... whatever..."

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

M

That spine of the country pasting doesn't make sense, we are closest to the severe cold air so when the mild hits the cold surely a big BANG! would mean the colder SE is favoured and will be rain further N and W due to milder air already in place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

That spine of the country pasting doesn't make sense, we are closest to the severe cold air so when the mild hits the cold surely a big BANG! would mean the colder SE is favoured and will be rain further N and W due to milder air already in place.

Thats if it reaches us though! There is talk about the front fizzling out before it reaches the E/SE