Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

just like to point out, with no disrespect to steve murr, - his time and effort in contributing to the model thread (as well as many others) is much appreciated. however, he is not a weather god. his (or anyone else's) opinion is not the be all and end all of the weather. i would suggest we wait and see what happens. take steve's comments into consideration, but don't take them as gospel. only yesterday, he was ramping a huge snow event for the south east, to the point his post was deleted as a ramp! my point being, even the professionals can't call this one with any accuracy. for the time being, the best forecasting tools we have at our disposal are radars and lamp-posts

chins up and stay frosty - if its cold enough!

Please quote me accurate- I was commenting on a snow event depicted my the model- not ramping up saying it would happen

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

News at ten are just about to comment on the beast from the east hitting us.

Urrgghhh Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich! :80: :lol:

Edited by Speed67

Posted

just like to point out, with no disrespect to steve murr, - his time and effort in contributing to the model thread (as well as many others) is much appreciated. however, he is not a weather god. his (or anyone else's) opinion is not the be all and end all of the weather. i would suggest we wait and see what happens. take steve's comments into consideration, but don't take them as gospel. only yesterday, he was ramping a huge snow event for the south east, to the point his post was deleted as a ramp! my point being, even the professionals can't call this one with any accuracy. for the time being, the best forecasting tools we have at our disposal are radars and lamp-posts

chins up and stay frosty - if its cold enough!

Of course - I don't view anyone as a weather god, I mentioned that post because it was suggesting snow over the weekend was more likely for the spine or north west of the country than here, so it was potentially of interest for our regional thread. By the way it was Roger J Smith whose post was deleted from the model thread - that was the one suggesting armaggedon for the south east. I recall it as I asked whether Yamkin had infiltrated Mr Smith's mind!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I think there was a huge snow event for the SE shown on yesterday's models - I was ramping, but to myself in the relative safety of my back room.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well off to bed after watching the weather on ITV and he said possible snow on sat but rain after ,not happy now lol was hoping for a couple of days too play in the snow booooo

Posted

Very sheltered spot in the middle of town reading 2.4C!

Temps not as low as i thought they would have been here in Folkstone

1.3c

DP - -3.8c

I'm up in the East Cliff area of Folkestone and currently at 0.6c, lowest so far tonight was 0.1c at around 6pm and up to 1.6c about 8pm

Posted

I'm up in the East Cliff area of Folkestone and currently at 0.6c, lowest so far tonight was 0.1c at around 6pm and up to 1.6c about 8pm

Im in the east cliff area as well, temp currently 0.9c with a DP of -4.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Well off to bed after watching the weather on ITV and he said possible snow on sat but rain after ,not happy now lol was hoping for a couple of days too play in the snow booooo

you should have watched the BBC, better quality of weather on there - mention of "proper" snow on the local forecast, albeit not enough to play in :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

So pretty much over then, all that potential and an immense cold pool only for a few hours of snizzle here and there.

Gaining model support for Atlantic weather to blast through over the weekend this evening, even for us here in the SE. Ah well, maybe next winter.

Posted

John Hammond on BBC just now still running the battleground scenario for the weekend - very honest accceptance that he couldn't be sure what would happen. 'Twists and turns' to come.

As Dubmuffin says, the local BBC forecast with Peter Cockroft also said possibilty of proper snow Thursday. Probably not a huge amount but more than we have seen so far.

Happy notions on which to turn in for the night.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Ditto, but it seems like things are on a knife edge, regarding the length of this cold spell, to me. Que sera sera!

Edited by Speed67

Posted

What can we say - seems like it's going to be all over in a day or two, probably with not much than a flurry or two. Very disappointing.

Will we EVER get a proper, snowy easterly again?

Watch the recriminations begin....

Edited by Upgrade

Posted

Im in the east cliff area as well, temp currently 0.9c with a DP of -4.1c

Crazy how there are such a range in temperature over small distances, though I guess when we're talking .3 of a degree it's going to be a case of thermometer sensitivity?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

So pretty much over then, all that potential and an immense cold pool only for a few hours of snizzle here and there.

Gaining model support for Atlantic weather to blast through over the weekend this evening, even for us here in the SE. Ah well, maybe next winter.

Hope their wrong because if this cold spell does fail, then i'll lose interest in this winter. talk of northerlies later on in FI but never liked northerlies as snow is often marginal near the coast in that set-up and temps aren't as cold here as in NE or E winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Crazy how there are such a range in temperature over small distances, though I guess when we're talking .3 of a degree it's going to be a case of thermometer sensitivity?

And positioning for mine... 2.2C at the mo. Right next to a big retaining wall that could be a residual ground heat source! Although it is shielded with a cover against radiative heat.

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

I thing things are shaping up nice for us.Snow showers for thurs morning and even a splattering of the white in the SE on sat, showing on the 10.30 BBC forecast and just to top it the incoming snow at the weekend, depending on how this cold block holds up..Much rather be in the SE at the mo. :clapping:

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - Bloody Swear Thingy
Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - Bloody Swear Thingy

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Aaaargh........N e e d................cough..................Prozac.............Cough..........FFS There is even a chance of Streamers before what ever happens on the weekend, these things turn up at T6! :80:

What can we say - seems like it's going to be all over in a day or two, probably with not much than a flurry or two. Very disappointing.

Will we EVER get a proper, snowy easterly again?

Watch the recriminations begin....

FFS! Thats it I'm Outta Here - You guys are shocking!

Posted

Please quote me accurate- I was commenting on a snow event depicted my the model- not ramping up saying it would happen

S

sorry steve, you had a post deleted as it was perceived as a ramp by the mods. as i said, your opinion is appreciated and respected. i did comment on one of your posts (not the one in question) and jokingly referred to it as a ramp, which you did not deny. if you want to be pedantic, insert 'depicted' between 'huge' and 'snow' in my last post. i'm not having a go at you personally, i was replying to a post in which your name was mentioned, but tried to put across that personal opinions, however informed, are not necessarily correct, which i'm sure you will agree with. i didn't mean any offence to you, i find your posts very informative and appreciate the efforts you put into them. however, even you are entitled to the odd ramp, and for what its worth, i thought it was very harsh of the mods to delete your post. anyway, i recently bought a land rover discovery with a full set of snow tyres, so maybe if we all ramp hard enough, i might get to try it out properly! :p

Posted

Of course - I don't view anyone as a weather god, I mentioned that post because it was suggesting snow over the weekend was more likely for the spine or north west of the country than here, so it was potentially of interest for our regional thread. By the way it was Roger J Smith whose post was deleted from the model thread - that was the one suggesting armaggedon for the south east. I recall it as I asked whether Yamkin had infiltrated Mr Smith's mind!

AS

you are correct, i also commented on it along the same lines, but both steve and roger had posts deleted for 'ramping' which incidentally i think was harsh to both of them

Posted

you are correct, i also commented on it along the same lines, but both steve and roger had posts deleted for 'ramping' which incidentally i think was harsh to both of them

cheers!

Posted

I'm Outta Here - You guys are shocking!

LOL :) Some people cannot help themselves (nor read experienced posters comments and retain the information for more than 12 hours)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Posted · Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - USA Prison Post Not Needed
Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - USA Prison Post Not Needed

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Aaaargh........N e e d................cough..................Prozac.............Cough..........I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad There is even a chance of Streamers before what ever happens on the weekend, these things turn up at T6! :80:

I'll check back in 6 hours then ;)

In retrospect I may have jumped the gun a bit, but you have to admit it's slightly dishearting when even the ensemble members are starting to point towards more Atlantic weather this weekend, the models are definitely slowly backing away from any big snow event, streams might pop up, that's probably our best chance of seeing any worthwhile snowfall this week I suppose, a very dry day tomorrow though.

Posted

a very dry day tomorrow though.

I agree with you on that one - do not see any point looking at the radar until late wednesday night

Posted

hmm... looks like iv'e p*****d steve murr off. might have to buy him a beer.... :drinks:

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - I am a Prison Warden
Hidden by Paul Sherman, January 31, 2012 - I am a Prison Warden

I'll check back in 6 hours then ;)

In retrospect I may have jumped the gun a bit, but you have to admit it's slightly dishearting when even the ensemble members are starting to point towards more Atlantic weather this weekend, the models are definitely slowly backing away from any big snow event, streams might pop up, that's probably our best chance of seeing any worthwhile snowfall this week I suppose, a very dry day tomorrow though.

Fancy a Spell of Pre-Mod Dan - Because that is what you are going to get if you change one of my posts in your Quotes again :good: