IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

deal kent

temp 1.6

dew point -3.7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Temps not as low as i thought they would have been here in Folkstone

1.3c

DP - -3.8c

Very sheltered spot in the middle of town reading 2.4C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Dont have a weather station, so just took the car for a drive to get a temp reading (not accurate by any means) but it says 0.5.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

1.7 here - almost toasty - dew -1.4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Thats if it reaches us though! There is talk about the front fizzling out before it reaches the E/SE

True. 0.6C here now.

Posted

I think the areas towards North West England will be plenty cold enough turning the Rain to Snow but it will probably be much more brief up there due to the Uppers not being as cold as down in the SE. If and it's a big "If" the front even gets here then we could as Kold Weather says see mostly or 80% of it being a Snow event before it either fizzles or gets pushed back West and dies out meaning the cold wins out. But I also agree with the poster above these frontal events never seem to impact us here unless you have a screaming Easterly from a deep Channel Low (See 1st Jan 1979 for instance)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Could anyone give a little summary of what is expected in the next few days (snow wise please)? I'm so new to this I aint got a clue.

Also in return, I'm doing the knowledge of London, and hope to finish soon! So anyone how does help me can get a fare free ride in my cab. :acute: (Distance permitting though :p )

thanks

Looks like we import some drier air tomorrow from the east - looking at the 850mb relative humidity charts, so the morning cloud should disperse to a dry and sunny afternoon. But by early Thursday, RH charts show a plume of moister air returning from the east across the N Sea into SE/E Anglia, so it looks like cloud will return and perhaps some snow showers too (heavier than today), this moist feed persists through Friday too, so again a risk of snow showers - both days we could see a streamer set-up - given the ENE direction of wind indicated.

Posted

ha ha! just read our latest Meto update-

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Thursday very cold, mostly cloudy but generally dry. Friday very frosty start, dry, staying cold. Saturday dry and frosty start, then rain or snow probably arriving later, staying cold.

Updated: 1828 on Tue 31 Jan 2012

that says "i can't be bothered with the models anymore, it's going to be cold and it might snow... or not... whatever..."

Reads a bit like rogers forecast minus the 90cm of snow :)

Posted

By the way the Cloud cover must be having a big impact on these temperatures tonight. All todays Rain has completely dried up due to the Dp's crashing down to around -3c but the air temp is steady at 1.2c.

No frost tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Starting to feel a bit like we are chasing our tails here. The emotion in value out equation is failing...

Even the MOD thread is quiet

Edited by dubmuffin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort

temp has risen here,

currently 1.2

wind is up too suddenly, a few gusts up to 16mph

with winchill weather thingy saying temp is -2 wind is steady at around 7mph

dp -5 C

hmmm not as cold as i thought would be

Jon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Looks like we import some drier air tomorrow from the east - looking at the 850mb relative humidity charts, so the morning cloud should disperse to a dry and sunny afternoon. But by early Thursday, RH charts show a plume of moister air returning from the east across the N Sea into SE/E Anglia, so it looks like cloud will return and perhaps some snow showers too (heavier than today), this moist feed persists through Friday too, so again a risk of snow showers - both days we could see a streamer set-up - given the ENE direction of wind indicated.

Thanks Nick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think the areas towards North West England will be plenty cold enough turning the Rain to Snow but it will probably be much more brief up there due to the Uppers not being as cold as down in the SE. If and it's a big "If" the front even gets here then we could as Kold Weather says see mostly or 80% of it being a Snow event before it either fizzles or gets pushed back West and dies out meaning the cold wins out. But I also agree with the poster above these frontal events never seem to impact us here unless you have a screaming Easterly from a deep Channel Low (See 1st Jan 1979 for instance)

Definitely remember that cold event, even if I was a primary school kid at the time. Went away for Christmas to relatives, came back to frozen and cracked water pipes and tanks. Needless to say they quickly thawed and a flooded house ensued!

Edited by Speed67

Posted

Starting to feel a bit like we are chasing our tails here. The emotion in value out equation is failing...

You might not want to read Steve M's recent post in the model thread then! Not as optomistic about our prospects at the weekend. It is a v detailed post though so I don't want to give the impression that this is all it says, as this would be doing a huge disservice to the knowledge and effort that has gone in to it.

Maybe the hoovering you mentioned earlier could be an option at the weekend as well! In fact I might get some extra bags in, just in case..

AS

Posted

ha ha! just read our latest Meto update-

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Thursday very cold, mostly cloudy but generally dry. Friday very frosty start, dry, staying cold. Saturday dry and frosty start, then rain or snow probably arriving later, staying cold.

Updated: 1828 on Tue 31 Jan 2012

that says "i can't be bothered with the models anymore, it's going to be cold and it might snow... or not... whatever..."

Well the forecast earlier for Saturday was for a dry frosty start with rain or sleet arriving later. A bit of an upgrade...but still much uncertainty.

Posted

Definitely remember that cold event, even if I was a primary school kid at the time. Went away for Christmas to relatives, came back to frozen and cracked water pipes and tanks. Needless to say they quickly thawed and a flooded house ensued!

Lol I was at Primary school in Chelmsford then as a 6 year old at Cathedral Primary School (Dont know if it is even there any more) We were absolutely buried by that Snow Storm up at Springfield!

Posted

Look at us all here chasing a few sleety specks in the wind, and here is europe showing off and flouting its snow depths (sorry about the deaths of course) tut!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16806687

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

Temp has risen here too from 0.3 C at 7pm to 1.1 C currently. 0.2 mm of perfunctory snizzle.

Posted

You might not want to read Steve M's recent post in the model thread then! Not as optomistic about our prospects at the weekend. It is a v detailed post though so I don't want to give the impression that this is all it says, as this would be doing a huge disservice to the knowledge and effort that has gone in to it.

Maybe the hoovering you mentioned earlier could be an option at the weekend as well! In fact I might get some extra bags in, just in case..

AS

just like to point out, with no disrespect to steve murr, - his time and effort in contributing to the model thread (as well as many others) is much appreciated. however, he is not a weather god. his (or anyone else's) opinion is not the be all and end all of the weather. i would suggest we wait and see what happens. take steve's comments into consideration, but don't take them as gospel. only yesterday, he was ramping a huge snow event for the south east, to the point his post was deleted as a ramp! my point being, even the professionals can't call this one with any accuracy. for the time being, the best forecasting tools we have at our disposal are radars and lamp-posts

chins up and stay frosty - if its cold enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Look at us all here chasing a few sleety specks in the wind, and here is europe showing off and flouting its snow depths (sorry about the deaths of course) tut!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-16806687

I was in Ischgl, in Austria, a couple of weeks ago. They had a ridiculous amount of snow in a few days. There was an avalanche very close to my hotel (100 metres ) which trapped a woman, who was thankfully dug out alive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

News at ten are just about to comment on the beast from the east hitting us.

Edited by silver line

Posted

I was in Ischgl, in Austria, a couple of weeks ago. They had a ridiculous amount of snow in a few days. There was an avalanche very close to my hotel (100 metres ) which trapped a woman, who was thankfully dug out alive.

Lucky you! and the trapped woman of course. I saw that snow report and watched with envy whilst googling cheap flights to Innsbruck:)

edit - removed rogue v - hate typos

Edited by dubmuffin