Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - Part 3

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Despite being the coldest day in a whiler for us there was no frost to clear off my car this morning. is that because the air is dry?

Can it be very cold but have no frost simply because there isn't enough moisture in the air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Despite being the coldest day in a whiler for us there was no frost to clear off my car this morning. is that because the air is dry?

Can it be very cold but have no frost simply because there isn't enough moisture in the air?

No frost because of the wind flow that is increasing from the East. For frost too form, the air has too be still in effect.

Edited by GoonerGregg77

Posted

:good:

Dew points and humidity again Lauren! on which note, here are the updates (the windchill was quite considerable this morning as well)

Rdtlmett.gifRdtlmetd.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And it's the lower the dew point, the less moisture right?

I know that sounds like such a noob question, but in the 9 months I've been here, i have learnt a hell of a lot.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

No frost because of the wind flow that is increasing from the East. For frost too form, the air has too be still in effect.

No Gregg. Lauren was right.

There is no frost today because of the very low dew points not because of the wind speed.

And it's the lower the dew point, the less moisture right?

I know that sounds like such a noob question, but in the 9 months I've been here, i have learnt a hell of a lot.

Yes, the air is dryer Lauren. When the dew point is close to the observed temperature the dew will form on surfaces that drop below the air and dew point temperatures. And when this is below zero a frost forms.

Posted

There is no frost today because of the very low dew points not because of the wind speed.

Yes, the air is dryer Lauren. When the dew point is close to the observed temperature the dew will form on surfaces that drop below the air and dew point temperatures. And when this is below zero a frost forms.

Had to get up at 1am to close neighbour's gate banging against our house in the strong wind. This morning, as shown above, no frost and 0 degrees on car thermometer at 7.30 (-1 yesterday) - made the mistake of trying to clear a bit of stuff off windscreen with water driving along; BIG mistake, froze instantly :fool:

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

You think you know it all, and after all I'm still learning me self! Thanks for clarifying......

Had to get up at 1am to close neighbour's gate banging against our house in the strong wind. This morning, as shown above, no frost and 0 degrees on car thermometer at 7.30 (-1 yesterday) - made the mistake of trying to clear a bit of stuff off windscreen with water driving along; BIG mistake, froze instantly :fool:

Had the exact same thing, had to put my hazards on half way down the road because of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy in Winter, Cold and Wet in Summer

i'm on the 9th floor of a block in the city looking east and the clouds have thickened considerably, it's looking quite gloomy...nothing on the radar though so wishful thinking i guess

Posted

its happening again, over on the model thread confusion reigns.....you get one post saying that its all over, a very bad output etc and then the next post saying that this is not a bad model output. how can we who dont understand the models draw any conclusions from all this as the way I see this week after reading the forum is such....it is going to be mild/cold with rain/snow and the outlook is mild/cold ??? sorry rant over (toys back in pram) :p

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The air is dry today, hence the sunny skies, but the 850mb RH charts suggest moisture returning over the North Sea tonight along with increasingly cold air:

post-1052-0-05834200-1328092089_thumb.pn - rh 850mb 18z tonight

Tomorrow morning, mositure directed towards Lincs/Wash/Norfolk, so a streamer developing here perhaps?

post-1052-0-70863300-1328092117_thumb.pn

Should see some flurries or light snow in the London area by the evening though

Friday I feel will be best bet for snow for London and the SE, with more moisture by the morning:

post-1052-0-48564100-1328092144_thumb.pn

Posted

GFS is bouncing the weekends possibilities back and forward, East then West

post-6667-0-59248200-1328092171_thumb.pn

Fortunately for me, the line always seems to be local to Eastbourne so I'm not downhearted at all. This really is going to be down to the wire folks, don't get too excited and don't get too disappointed as some in here may get it, some a few miles away may not.

It's nature and sometimes it just bites you in the Aris !!!!! :unknw:

Posted

Almost completely clear skies here in Reigate, although the odd bit of cloud has recently started to come across, moving quickly from the north east. It does feel very cold even away from the strong breeze but overall it's a beautiful winter's day. Would be quite bracing on the north side of the North Downs with no shelter from the wind.

Posted

What ever happened the Strat Warming?

Outlook is abysmal this morning.

Hope you guys in SE England can pick up something out of it, such a good opportunity for all of us, we really deserve to get something.

Rtavn1741.png

Posted

The air is dry today, hence the sunny skies, but the 850mb RH charts suggest moisture returning over the North Sea tonight along with increasingly cold air:

The moisture is what I am seeing developing around Denmark at the moment - I think it may come in slightly faster and sharper than the GFS is progging

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Cumulus forming here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Very confusing for me,as im a newbie to all of this,ive got my radar for the first time,as my sister has always had the radar and text me or phoned me when something is about to happen,so still dont know when to watch radar and when to not,but i always say,always expect the unexpected,its the gold old British weather.

Posted

That's why I haven't been over to the MOD thread since Monday as its wrist slitting and the same old moans and groans - taking every run as gospel.

There so brainwashed on looking for a breakdown to mild and when the next SW'ly winds are going to come that they failed to appreciate the cold spell is here in front of their noses!

Posted

post-1052-0-05834200-1328092089_thumb.pn - rh 850mb 18z tonight

Tomorrow morning, mositure directed towards Lincs/Wash/Norfolk, so a streamer developing here perhaps?

post-1052-0-70863300-1328092117_thumb.pn

Should see some flurries or light snow in the London area by the evening though

Friday I feel will be best bet for snow for London and the SE, with more moisture by the morning:

post-1052-0-48564100-1328092144_thumb.pn

Very much In Line with what I also thought this morning Nick (See Post on Page 1 or 2)

There really is no point in looking at Sat and Sun (T72 - T96) When we have lots of interesting weather to get out of the way from Tomorrow Onwards!

I am expecting the favoured spots to at least get 5cm (2") out of this by the time the Weekend Starts! Nothing to great but a welcome sight for photographers and kids who have seen absolutely nothing apart from some wet snow the weekend of 16-18th December!

Posted

Not sure how the block is collapsing so quick? we nearly get the 510 line over us, how often does this happen over the years? all of a sudden the Atlantic sweeps in without even a fight of course unless this changes?

Posted

Chris Fawkes just said on latest beeb forecast on N24 " significant snow moving into the East on Friday - with focus over our region :-)

He also confirmed big concerns for weekends snow. If the front doesn't pull away to the SE some very significant snow to come

Posted

Chris Fawkes just said on latest beeb forecast on N24 " significant snow moving into the East on Friday - with focus over our region :-)

He also confirmed big concerns for weekends snow. If the front doesn't pull away to the SE some very significant snow to come

:clapping:

You know what they say......

20070515-fat-lady-sings.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Can I have a forecast?, I'm driving to essex friday night to visit a scary place ;)

I'd rather stay at home if the snow is bad lol