Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Dont think.this snow even can top last even here in cov 12 cms of snow fell here

Ithink IF the 06z did come off about the same amount. hopefully..

Posted

Does look interesting, but as AJ said, it's looking a little too marginal with the upper atm.

THIS WILL CHANGE but in what way we won't know until morning, hopefully we'll get another much deserved dumping, but if we don't, at least we've had something that looks like winter :)

Posted

Wether as much falls as last weekend or not we will probably have more than we had by Sunday afternoon this time round

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Does look interesting, but as AJ said, it's looking a little too marginal with the upper atm.

THIS WILL CHANGE but in what way we won't know until morning, hopefully we'll get another much deserved dumping, but if we don't, at least we've had something that looks like winter :)

Yes marginal i see the DAM 528 line is not over the UK .

Posted

Latest by the Met O suggests what I said this morning that although the band of precip is heaviest across the Midlands the conditions are more favourable further E.

The forecast says for the E midlands ice or snow.

" Moderate to high risk of widespread ice or snow for a time Thursday night and Friday"

E Anglia/SE.

"Moderate to high risk of snow for a time Thursday night and early Friday."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I live in northampton and just looked at the BBC weather website and they have us down for heavy snow throughout Friday. Where did that come from? Does anyone know how reliable this snow forecast is?

Posted

I live in northampton and just looked at the BBC weather website and they have us down for heavy snow throughout Friday. Where did that come from? Does anyone know how reliable this snow forecast is?

put it this way.....the BBC quite often forecast severe frost with temperature as low as +1'c, they are a bit on the mild side, but also they are usualy at least a day out of date with their data.

Posted

Irony being such, we'll prbably just get freezing rain that will kill any remaining lying snow and leave us with nothing just before it freezes back up again for the next week!

Posted

The 850hpa profile looks pretty mild for alot of the Midlands, quite alot of the area to start the event will be above 0C whilst surface temps maybe around freezing, which suggests m,aybe a fairly large Freezing rain event for some people, especially in say central Midlands that at first lack the uppers.

Tough call, I suspect there will be aa right old mix, snow the whole way through in the east, further west and could be just about anything!

Posted

Well I guess us west midlanders, will just have to hope this event improves in our favour. Many thought it was going to be dry all week until today or yesterday so I think theres hope it could be snow in the west aswell yet. Based on no more than what I wish for, lol.

Posted

To be fair the NAE is cooler than the GFS at 850hpa and thjs the snow risk would be a little further werst than the GFS suggests, though I've got a few doubts it'd be as widespread as the NAE is expecting as I think the western part would be sleet/freezing rain.

Posted

My gosh what a surprise that yet again here will do the worst out of the region :lol:

You just know it won't trend west either!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not excited by this at all unless we get a shift of colder air and the front westwards. It looks more marginal than Saturday, further east and less cold. Being as marginal as this just isn't good for me here and I fully expect it to be sleet followed quickly by rain - unless we see a shift that is. A bit of middle ground in the modles this morning, Very good UKMO, average GFS and a poor ECM. Lets hope the GFS/ECM come round to the idea of the UKMO this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

You would think we would be used to it by now, but it's still a disapointment

its wat you call typical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Actually its not impossible this does trend westwards, there is a difference with this set-up compared to the last one as the band is moving SSW rather than SE and that may make a difference.

The GFS has already started a trend Westwards, the 00z had the snow line on it's most Western edge up to Leicester/Nottingham but the 06z placed it as far West as Birmingham/Worcestershire...

51-574.GIF?08-6

I'm hoping it does trend Westward for 2 reasons.. It would make it less borderline for myself and I think the West Midlands have done pretty poorly this Winter, the East Midlands have too but we still have quite a bit of snow left around here at only 75m ASL and I don't think anywhere West of Birmingham on low ground really has any left? So we did do better than you guys from the last event. I'd like to see the whole of the Midlands join in the fun with this, it could still happen, if the GFS 12z trends Westwards even more then it's good news.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Very nice 06z for Northants. A pleasant surprise for me when I logged on this morning.

Obviously some changes to come yet but so far so good and looks like snow all the way for here IF it stays like this.

Posted

west of Birmingham Andy?? Its all gone here. Apart from odd patches here n there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This "snow" is it this that's already visible on the radar? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

No I don't think it's that system out West. This band of Precip is going to move down from the North/North East and head South/South West.

west of Birmingham Andy?? Its all gone here. Apart from odd patches here n there

Lol, you should drive down to Braunstone park area, the park still has a good 5cm everywhere and the lake has frozen over, i'll take a pic later when I go past it.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

The GFS has already started a trend Westwards, the 00z had the snow line on it's most Western edge up to Leicester/Nottingham but the 06z placed it as far West as Birmingham/Worcestershire...

51-574.GIF?08-6

I'm hoping it does trend Westward for 2 reasons.. It would make it less borderline for myself and I think the West Midlands have done pretty poorly this Winter, the East Midlands have too but we still have quite a bit of snow left around here at only 75m ASL and I don't think anywhere West of Birmingham on low ground really has any left? So we did do better than you guys from the last event. I'd like to see the whole of the Midlands join in the fun with this, it could still happen, if the GFS 12z trends Westwards even more then it's good news.

Indeedy our 2cm we had on Saturday is all gone now bar a few icy patches, im just hoping we get another March 2006 here this year which gave some perfect wintry setups.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/2006/avn/Rtavn00220060302.png - Most notably, perfect cheshire gap streamer.