Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted

I'd say we have about 12% snow cover left here, so anything that comes will be 'snow on snow' and that's good for a cold spell in my book?

Maybe we'll be lucky? We certainly were on saturday.

Posted

18z goes with the idea of a decent snow event once again however it does look marginal. Starts around +54.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z worst run ever, looks like a 20Jul 2007 01 0ct 2010, 23 Dec 2011, 20 Jan 2012, washout fridays not uncommon around here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The Davis, 20 feet above the house roof is currently reading -5.8c. The screen temperature is normally slightly lower so we could be heading for the lowest Feb' min' here since 1994 when -6.5c was recorded.

Posted

I have just hit -6C. Should surpass the -7.7C recorded last week.

I imagine you will get comfortably beyond that at some point in the next few hours :good:

We got down to -8.3 in the early hours of Saturday morning, fingers crossed that should be broken as well. Now down to -5.3

Bish

Posted

Oh, wow. Not expecting this. Met office showing Heavy Snow for Friday day and Light snow Friday night. I know this could change and probably will, but it's surprised me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

18Z worst run ever, looks like a 20Jul 2007 01 0ct 2010, 23 Dec 2011, 20 Jan 2012, washout fridays not uncommon around here

I know what you mean, but that mention of 20 Jul 2007 might be a tiny bit pessimistic! Pershore had 145 mm of rain that day...

As far as the here and now goes, we've just hit -4.0 °C. It's clear, the Moon looks lovely -- but I can't stand outside looking at it for long, because that ESE wind is perishing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Thermomter out my garden is reading -7.5c, perhaps -8c. It's only a cheap garden thermometer, but whenever i've compared it to known temperatures for my area its always within 0.5c.

I'm in a village, quite rural.

Certainly does feel exceptionally cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

-5.6 °C here now.

Posted

Apologies for the repeat post, but tonight's MetO update for the W Mids is very interesting, with "outbreaks of sleet and snow from the north" late on Thursday, and "[a]n increasing risk of seeing some significant snow on Friday, perhaps lasting into Saturday." No mention of rain at all -- which is odd, because the E Mids forecast for the same periods sounds much more uncertain, with mention of "rain and/or snow" on both occasions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Tis a bit odd I agree, unless they expect the precipitation here to be more heavier than that in the East possibly explaining the significant snow risk. Then again, would have thought the East would be more likely to see something more wintry with them holding onto colder air.

The 850 and 925 hpa temperatures on the latest GFS run seem unfavourable for snow on Friday, sadly, if you're after the white stuff, although the upper temperatures on the 00Z UKMO look a little more supportive with 850's seemingly around -2 to -3*C for the area. Wonder if the GFS will be nice and bring the potential back further West on its future updates. :)⛄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Overnight minimum was -7.1oC in West Malvern, that's pretty cold for our hill location. :cold:

Have just seen the BBC breakfast weather news, the lovely Carol Kirkwood said we've a chance of significant snow in the Midlands on Thurs/Fri, but there's a good deal of uncertainty at this point. Exciting, though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Blinking heck.

Carol on BBC1 has just said that (with the usual caveats of uncertainty over exactly, when, where & how much), that there is a risk of significant snow thurs pm through to Friday through northern England into the midlands - up to 20cm!

Lol - you can type faster than me barbmac!

Edited by fizz511

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

-3.4c low here but has risen as the night went on no doubt when this low cloud rolled in.

Now -0.9c. Doesn't seem the epic cold the news went on about actually happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Ok, this is a very uncertain event coming up and an extremely exciting one!!

This has snuck in under the radar (pardon the pun) so to speak, we all focused on the snow event on Saturday and have been focused on the models to see what the 2nd half of February may bring.. Yet we could have another snow event in about 48 hours time!!

The GFS at the moment is only going for snow in the East Midlands, i'm right on the edge here in Leicester..

51-574.GIF?08-0

63-574.GIF?08-0

All I know is.. Wherever it falls as snow... It will last over 24 hours according to the current model output!!

The UKMO looks more favourable for the West Midlands to join the fun..

U60-594.GIF?08-06

U72-580.GIF?08-06

U72-7.GIF?08-06

It does look very borderline for the whole of the Midlands, because the surface is so cold though.. Even 850's of -2 would be low enough!

Posted

BBC East Midlands News mentions chance of 20cm of snow for SouthYorks and Midlands overnight Thursday, could be lucky in North Derbys, North Notts, out to Lincs.

did say timeings and exact locations subjecttio change??