Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted

Nice frosty sunny morning. Ground rock hard Will empty some dung today Picked up a small runabout for young Mr. Northernlights in Abedeen late pm and evening yesterday and it was very frosty but moonlit on the way home. Currently -5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Min of -5C again here, creeping up now. Garden is like concrete and the old tarmac in the yard is starting to lift which is a sure sign of a long freeze.

Must warn colleague who's working over NL's direction to look out for dung-emptying ops today.

Posted

It was -8c when I got up at 6am this morning, it's crept up to -4c now. Very hard frost, it's a beautiful morning with blue skies and sun but I nearly lost a lung breathing in when I went out to feed the birds a couple of hours ago!

There's time yet for this winter to show a sting in its tail :good:

Posted
Posted · Hidden by spindrift1980, February 7, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by spindrift1980, February 7, 2012 - No reason given

-8'C here in Inverness this morning, rather fuar to say the least!

Is that fuar or Phwooarr!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I never bother with the model thread. Who needs to when you have LSS and Blitzen's summaries!

Same here - i'm a State Registered Coward*, so I stay in here where it's nice and safe...

Crossing the Bridge this morning was about the most beautiful I've ever seen the Forth - low banks of white mist hiding the northern shores while the low water was so still it mirror-imaged the Napoleonic fortifications in the middle, as Dalmeny's woods sparkled white with frost in the pale sunlight slanting down low...

Embra being pictureskew too, white northern-facing rooves and pale-yellow light...

*look, got a note from my Mum to prove it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Morning Peeps I have had a self imposed 2 day exile from models and weather related chat.....dont think have missed a lot as only at page 8.....is it worth reading last couple of days....are the burning questions still the same....are we getting snow....are we getting a northerly for HC....are we knitting up a storm....are we getting vasectomies....just the usual queries.....

oh what a surprise had a read and nobody got a clue whats going on :) we are certainly getting some harsh frosts here and still no ice days with the temp just creeped up to 0.3 here

PS nice census return cheggers .. FAF

Posted

Rtavn1861.png

mmmmm Yes Please I think..... although could be misreading it...(thats very likely)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Afternoon, how are we all today?

Pretty frosty again today, ground still solid.

Chickens are taking to staying put and squawking today (a sign?)

Charts showing some interest again, nice waa up to greenland and nice link/moving of these highs too! I'm keeping watching as i feel a little excitement from the models may be coming soon. :air_kiss:

Posted

ecm not bad either Recm1921.gif

Posted

Afternoon, how are we all today?

Pretty frosty again today, ground still solid.

Chickens are taking to staying put and squawking today (a sign?)

Charts showing some interest again, nice waa up to greenland and nice link/moving of these highs too! I'm keeping watching as i feel a little excitement from the models may be coming soon. :air_kiss:

Not bad snowy nice to see someone here.....you just reminded me I seen large flocks of geese flying west the last 2 days.....now what does that mean??? Im sure HC or one of the other DR Doolittle up North boys will tell us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Mmmm.......None too happy with 2pm Meto forecast for us guys up here from say Thursday onwards. Cloudy with some rain it looks like. However, if this doesn't materialise as predicted by them, I would think that would be a strong chance for game on next week? I await with baited breath! :huh:

Posted

Mmmm.......None too happy with 2pm Meto forecast for us guys up here from say Thursday onwards. Cloudy with some rain it looks like. However, if this doesn't materialise as predicted by them, I would think that would be a strong chance for game on next week? I await with baited breath! :huh:

I was just looking at the MO forecast too, most pished off with that as they are dismissing colder ECM/GFS runs almost completely.

The geese are probably looking for unfrozen fields... or may be escaping 'wildf***ers'...!

Posted

I think the met office are being a tad conservative in a volitile situation. The changes we've seen in the models in the past two weeks have been stark. We had cross model agreement for a beasterly, then for the atlantic to win, then for the PV to come back and now that Scandi Hi is still fighting longer than predicted and that Greenland High trend comes and goes. We're still so early in February that anything could happen and things will change as we go along - particulary in such an unclear scenario like this where the models have lost the plot at times. But, first and foremost, there is a trend for Greenland High, there are background signals for it too, it's cold outside right now and there is still the possibility to add for a decent winter for me personally and for others to at least get a decent snowfall with the chances of a Greenland High.

Game On - me thinks!

*What a contrast to yesterday's post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Everything's crossed! The other big two appear to be in step as well. Would like to see the 850s on the UKMO but they ony go up to 72 I think.

Posted

Morning Peeps I have had a self imposed 2 day exile from models and weather related chat.....dont think have missed a lot as only at page 8.....is it worth reading last couple of days....are the burning questions still the same....are we getting snow....are we getting a northerly for HC....are we knitting up a storm....are we getting vasectomies....just the usual queries.....

oh what a surprise had a read and nobody got a clue whats going on :) we are certainly getting some harsh frosts here and still no ice days with the temp just creeped up to 0.3 here

PS nice census return cheggers .. FAF

Just so you don't think we have finished the subject.....

post-2849-0-81791400-1328634255_thumb.jp

Anyone think the Meto will change their forecast if the models are starting to agree on the colder solution again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Everything's crossed! The other big two appear to be in step as well. Would like to see the 850s on the UKMO but they ony go up to 72 I think.

Ballpark estimate of the 500-1000 mbThickness based on that chart: 520(ish) Dams. 500mb Heights of 548dm, pressure around 1020mb so maybe 200-300 metres up for 1000mb, so that'd be very reasonable for snow.

Just for reference: this was the northerly we were tracking in from FI on the ECM:

ECH1-216.GIF?01-0

The UKMO for that same day:

UW144-21.GIF

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Smashing old fashioned February day bright sunshine, frozen solid ground and a maximum of 1c. Emptied out a bit of dung and can open the gates now more easily. Another frosty sunset and currently-0.5c.

Posted

It's already below freezing here, bordering on -1c, we had a high today of +3c for about an hour. It was very pleasant outside though but the frost hasn't lifted from the shaded parts of the garden/roofs etc. I like days like today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, days like today make me feel invigorated and full of energy. I've been tackling long-neglected admin paperwork, beeswaxing the woodwork, putting up a cupboard that's been lying on its back for weeks, tidying up and sorting round and generally full of vim and vigour! You can keep your "oh, but doesn't the first really hot sunny day make you feel maaaarvellous?" and leave me with days like this, in equal measure with Decembers like last year's in Edinburgh and the occasional thorough deluge and light dawn shower. I'll let you get up to about 20C in high summer at midday if you really have to, but otherwise more like this please!

I swear I have SAD in reverse, you know...

Can anyone explain to me what it is the MetO do that gives such different results? I do know there's no such thing as a really accurate forecast beyond about the next few minutes, but when people post to say that 'yet again' the MetO got it wrong, what is it that causes that? Different data? Different equations applied to common data? Not standing on their heads for two minutes every morning to get the blood to their brains??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Yep, days like today make me feel invigorated and full of energy. I've been tackling long-neglected admin paperwork, beeswaxing the woodwork, putting up a cupboard that's been lying on its back for weeks, tidying up and sorting round and generally full of vim and vigour! You can keep your "oh, but doesn't the first really hot sunny day make you feel maaaarvellous?" and leave me with days like this, in equal measure with Decembers like last year's in Edinburgh and the occasional thorough deluge and light dawn shower. I'll let you get up to about 20C in high summer at midday if you really have to, but otherwise more like this please!

I swear I have SAD in reverse, you know...

I know what you mean. What use is anything over 20C in this country where the humidity kills you? Summer days in Scotland can be beautiful if it's hovering around 15C with sunny skies and a chill breeze. That'll do me! I suppose it's the endless rain that winds people up........but I just see summer as something to be suffered, so the weather can do what it likes provided it doesn't nudge over 20C.

And I know folk moan about not getting enough light in the winter......but they really should get off their arses and make the best of it. My friends are miserable as sin in that regard. Moan moan moan. I feel so much more invigorated by a six hour dose of snow-reflected sunshine than a whole midsummer day's dose of midgey, cleggy, ticky, humid hazy sunshine. Like today for instance. Up Ben Lawers in the sunshine. I'm positively glowing :)

0.2C here now. Some snow still on the ground from Saturday I presume ( I was down south).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

ECM0-168.GIF?07-0

pray.gif

No a bad run that from the ECM. A lot better than some recent output.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

pray.gif

You beat me to it. Best of the winter for the chionophilics. :good: :w00t: :D

Cold out this evening although it looks like the weather's coming in from the west tomorrow. Our old friend just popping in to say hello...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

ECM0-168.GIF?07-0

pray.gif

A few tweaks still needed, perhaps with the trough heading further southwest from there, but in the reliable it looks pretty promising.

Possibility of some transient snowfall for eastern areas on Wednesday evening. Lower uppers are ok but uppers themselves are incredibly dodgy:

12020818_0712.gif

Could be some freezing rain around:

12020821_0712.gif

However, the 'trend' has been to back the colder uppers further west on each run since T+48, so there may be some hope yet for snow.