Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looks like it could be a touch of snow followed by freezing rain for me.

Nice - should give the winters a workout!

Only problem will be other ice skaters....

I recall black ice on the Ediburgh bypass last winter. Cars were flying along happy as larry until they had to brake then 'oh onions'.

Saw two cars which had spun off that morning. With the winters on the ice was hardly noticeable.

Have you checked the wear on them recently? Mine are wearing at a startling rate - hardly done any miles (well, maybe 5k max) and they've really worn down! The price you pay for staying safe I guess?

Posted

As there's been loads of links to stats about previous winters, has anyone got the link to category snow events/bonnica snow evaluation. I heard that snow events had been put into categories and the 5th January 2010 event was a category 5.

Also, I remember TWS had a link to winter's and the no. of snow events, I can't seem to find it .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Have you checked the wear on them recently? Mine are wearing at a startling rate - hardly done any miles (well, maybe 5k max) and they've really worn down! The price you pay for staying safe I guess?

Mine are not bad. maybe 1.5 mm down? I'll get at least another winter out of them (i.e. three) before changing the fronts with another year out of the backs (which were the fronts...).

I do 70 miles a day, how about you?

EDIT. You will start to lose snow grip before ice grip and its the latter that is really dangerous.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Was over west today, feeling our 'entrenched cold' getting pushed out although it didn't feel that much warmer at the end of the afternoon. The ground is still hard above the bottoms of the straths with great icy bulges lurking treacherously round every corner.

Guess where I was:

Shouldn't be too difficult, it's one of the familiar angles of two of the better known north-westerns although I admit it's not the clearest picture - blame the weather!

Liathach in all her glory if I'm not mistaken, great shot HC!

You're around Achnasheen or Kinlochewe anyway, maybe around Bidean Clann Raonaild.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Mine are not bad. maybe 1.5 mm down? I'll get at least another winter out of them (i.e. three) before changing the fronts with another year out of the backs (which were the fronts...).

I do 70 miles a day, how about you?

EDIT. You will start to lose snow grip before ice grip and its the latter that is really dangerous.

Umm daily mileage anything from nowt (sometimes a whole week :( ) to 300 but overall a few thousand while they're on - they do seem to be wearing much faster than other tyres I've had but then the car's a bit of a heavy thug and so's my right boot sometimes (like this afternoon...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yes, it looks like a real possibility and the wording of some of the warnings is in such a way to let people know just how treacherous things could become underfoot if it does happen.

we experienced it in Perth several years ago...had stayed at a flat with the wife after a christmas night out so she had high heels on as we left in the morning and took one step out the door and went flying (I laughed a lot i must admit and so did she).....we took 20 minutes to walk 500 yards to the car....was really quite incredible and I am sure there were around 70 broken limbs at casualty in the royal infirmary that day

Posted

Liathach in all her glory if I'm not mistaken, great shot HC!

You're around Achnasheen or Kinlochewe anyway, maybe around Bidean Clann Raonaild.

Aye, and Beinn Eighe, two of my favourites, although Liathach in winter is a bit freaky :ph34r: !!

Might get some better pics tomorrow if the cloud breaks a bit.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Coldest day of the winter when you were out in the wind which was a fresh to strong southerly .Rain this evening and was down to 2c with it now 3c a really nasty day.Cows went to neeps filled up and were straight back to gate in less than an hour looking to come back in they were feeling the cold to.Normally they would spend some time walking round the field picking up anything they missed. I still say this cold is hanging on in spite of attempts to shift it.

Posted

Temp 1.3 and raining....not sure if freezing rain....not ventured out to check yet

Posted
Temp 1.3 and raining....not sure if freezing rain....not ventured out to check yet

cold & wet here too, def not going out, away to bed soon... :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Some freaky charts, and wow why can't i remember the 2009 freezing rain?! Hmmmust be the chemical hair dye i have just used over recently henna dyed hair- not a good idea - why did i do it!! at least my hairs not melted and its not turned green (although it does now look more black than brown) never again!!!

Note to self: don't be mad & Stupid - don't be lazy and never ever use chemical hair dye again!

Anyway back on topic - LS looks like a possibility of the mid atlantic ridge dropping out and the GH appearing that would be nice if we got a n/ne.

Thanks so much for looking at the freezing rain info- really great to know.

Now back to checking those winter stats. (and having cheese on toast to calm my nerves)

Posted

Och pants. Even in 50-200 million years it looks like we'll still be in a crap place for snow.

Sodding Atlantic still there, right where it's always been. :nonono:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16934181

Posted

Och pants. Even in 50-200 million years it looks like we'll still be in a crap place for snow.

Sodding Atlantic still there, right where it's always been. :nonono:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-16934181

Can't wait... at least we won't get 'Amrope' with Santorum as leader of the free world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rain is on here now.

Interesting reading MT Thread tonight, will be watching the events in USA closely to see how events set up over the next couple of days.

Posted

Meanwhile in sporting news A shock as an Italian deserts a sinking ship

Posted

Now that's a northerly - oaft !!

post-7292-0-84732200-1328740107_thumb.pn post-7292-0-46083100-1328740158_thumb.pn

Wooooooooof now a year ago I would allow myself to get excited at t144 but no longer...not this winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

0.3c here with rain. Saw a couple of skidded crashed cars on the way up the road from Edinburgh airport. Must have been ice I suppose. Just back from a couple of days in the South East and have to confess it felt pretty cold, particularly last night as well below zero with a cold East wind. A few flurries this morning on top of the remaining snow from the weekend.

Doesn't quite feel the same when it is not at home though. and they may well get more in the next couple of days.

Posted

Interesting looking fax at t120 http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Pub run been on a lock in?

It has stayed in all night by the looks of things too! Even the ECM is starting to look like asking the others to move over:

post-1989-0-71739300-1328772848_thumb.pn post-1989-0-77316300-1328772941_thumb.pnpost-1989-0-65232500-1328773394_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-47696400-1328773457_thumb.pn post-1989-0-28921500-1328773684_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

h850t850eu.png

ecmt850.144.png

:cold:

http://cdn.nwstatic....erdeenshire.png

EDIT. Damn you Blitzen. Beat me to it :lol:

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

h850t850eu.png

ecmt850.144.png

:cold:

http://cdn.nwstatic....erdeenshire.png

EDIT. Damn you Blitzen. Beat me to it :lol:

:p

Those 850s get even colder for us - right to the end of the runs! Could this finally be it?