Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Usual tosh from 6z with predictable brief northerly interlude out in the Grey Areas...

Still on my winter's accumulated snow depth of 2cm... about to go shopping for one of these:

Edit: Just got an email from the supplier, they'll only accept bulk orders as they have to get them from China; anyone else want one? Could be handy for resolving disputes with noisy neighbours, dispersing packs of feral children dogs, testing winter tyres, etc. A bit pricey, mind: 2567GBP and they need a 3 phase supply :doh:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hc problem solved, my Dh is an electrician - 3 phase supply nae probs. Think we would order one = i think our snow was that long ago i've forgotten when it was!

The tension of model watching at the moment is terrible, however things do still look promising.

Dull grey day but its dry. Feels freezin in the light breeze. :cold:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Usual tosh from 6z with predictable brief northerly interlude out in the Grey Areas...

Still on my winter's accumulated snow depth of 2cm... about to go shopping for one of these:

Edit: Just got an email from the supplier, they'll only accept bulk orders as they have to get them from China; anyone else want one? Could be handy for resolving disputes with noisy neighbours, dispersing packs of feral children dogs, testing winter tyres, etc. A bit pricey, mind: 2567GBP and they need a 3 phase supply :doh:

HC, if all the kilted thread members chip in and we buy wan o' these Bad Boy's; :whistling:

1) Who gets it first? (because we will all bagsy it first :D ) :aggressive:

2) How long do each of us have it for :unsure:

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Let's not mess around here and get one of these, now that's a fun job if ever there was one :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dreich and cold. 2C with drizzle.

Much improved Met O mid range outlook mentioning the s word for the North and East the week after next. More in line with some of the more informed posters on the MT.

Posted

Let's not mess around here and get one of these, now that's a fun job if ever there was one

We need about a zillion generators to make it worth getting a blower of that scale

Mind you, it would come in really handy if the neighbourhood got seriously out of control - imagine one of these in a '28 days later' scenario!! :blink: :blink: ;) :w00t: :w00t:

:rofl:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Matt Hugo's outlook kinda backs up a bit more of a wintery prospect for us up here at the end of next week. However, until I am shovelling it (or snow blowing it :whistling: ) I will take it with a pinch of salt. I am learning HC! :lol:

http://matthugo.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/medium-longer-term-outlook-mid-late-feb-12/

Posted

Matt Hugo's outlook kinda backs up a bit more of a wintery prospect for us up here at the end of next week. However, until I am shovelling it (or snow blowing it :whistling: ) I will take it with a pinch of salt. I am learning HC! :lol:

http://matthugo.word...id-late-feb-12/

Suggestion of a possible colder less stable NW flow next weekend tallies with the last sentence of the current MWIS outlook:

Extensively misty and foggy across many areas on Sunday, although some lifting of cloud base from the north.

Upland northwesterly gales early next week, particularly on the Scottish Highlands. These will bring pulses of rather

colder, drier air southwards, with a few snow showers on mainly northern mountains. Turning milder again later next

week, with rain intermittently, mainly western mountains. Perhaps turning colder from the north around Friday with threat

of heavier snow showers at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

just catching up.... quality thread.....nae slitting risks simply a focussed approach on two and a half grand snow makers......thats the positive go getter attitude of the scot...... when there no drinking eating and lazing aboot watching lampies.....4.3 dull damp dreich and actually feels mildish..... yuk!!!

Posted

Am considering Croatia for my next lamp post watching trip...

post-7292-0-18737500-1328886676_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

HC, if all the kilted thread members chip in and we buy wan o' these Bad Boy's; :whistling:

1) Who gets it first? (because we will all bagsy it first :D ) :aggressive:

2) How long do each of us have it for :unsure:

Big Innes

Dead simple. Which poster in here has a big barn that we can just all rock up to for a snow-party??? :)

....and enough sheep for us all....

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
world_highs24.gifIs this cruel or what. The temperature is wrapped in exactly a way that only Scotland and Ireland get the mild air!

Posted

Dead simple. Which poster in here has a big barn that we can just all rock up to for a snow-party??? :)

....and enough sheep for us all....

Wow, an indoor blizzard :lol: , a NW kilted solution; we'll run it all year and sell tickets to southerners :clap: - I'll run the bar :drunk: :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow, an indoor blizzard :lol: , a NW kilted solution; we'll run it all year and sell tickets to southerners :clap: - I'll run the bar :drunk: :drunk:

glol nae danger!!!! by running it you mean you would demolish it.....better get the midori in for big Innes

Posted

I suggest we just turn up at NL's farm, am sure the coo's won't mind. :good:

No the cows won"t mind but I might when it melts. Grumpy old farmer syndrome today mud everywhere again and a puncture on old cart loaded with neeps .Went to tyre repair place forgot they shut for lunch and had to wait an hour. Inside cattle a bit late fed. Currently 5.7c and cloudy

Posted

UK / Mid Atlantic high taking about a week to die off before hints of further cold from the familiar location this winter - NW.

ECM at 192 brings in the colder uppers on this evening 12z run.

Sad to see that belter of a Northerly vanish into thin air, all would be forgotten however if we got a stalling front in that flow.

post-7292-0-01046300-1328900150_thumb.gi

No denying Feb has been colder looking at winter as a whole, no doubt about the increased tendency to a more blocked set of NH charts, just not in our favour in the way we would like..

Posted

Installation work continues at Bar Celt de Hairy

post-7292-0-76405800-1328903393_thumb.jp

Posted

Read the model thread and stratsopheric thread and it seems that a Greenland High is unlikely now - CSS instict 1-0 Background Signals!

That is disapointing as I would have loved to have exprienced a pretty decent cold spell but that looks like it's not to be.

The only good thing I could say is that the models are showing a good NNWly for Scotland but as we get closer to the time, it will probably be downgraded to the type of events that we saw in December that gave snow to the west but nothing for the east.

GP's forecast was great as it just about all came to plan, except for us in Scotland, it seems that February won't quite pull it off.

Considering the current set-up and how I think it might evolve, I wouldn't be surprised if February sees very little snow days in my Snow Diary and even fewer at other locations so whatever happens, I do believe that December looks set to again be the best month of the winter.

The things that we should now look out for are snowfalls to add to our collection and hopefully some really exciting ones! And I would just love it if February could be cold enough to make the winter 2011/2012 another below average one for Scotland.

Posted

Don't give up yet the forecasts were excellent. You have to remember their inception.. October... when Meto flip from 50% chance of SWrly to Estrly for a good week/ 10 days recently in Feb it is clear that here on Net Wx with Strat and other Teleconnections we have excellent forecasters, who are also willing to deliver a forecast.

Feb is by no means over either, there is the matter of 7 day block hanging, dissapating, aside from that all to play for, including the fact winter marches on for us longer than our southern counter parts...

A while back I wrote about the cold depended on what solution you were looking for. I think it is only fair to say that the monster anomalous Greenland High ( 1/100 yr event) wouldn't be around so readily this winter... the cold pool for Europe courtesy of the SSW was well forecast.

Weather throws up surprises and this winter for me will be summed up by -

Massive PV influence

Raging +ve NAO regime ( with little tendency to drop to -ve) just giving us hope on the way to neutral.

An immediate correction to the last 2 years.

Still, time to go and the teleconnections are not black and white, Chiono or GP are not Gods and it is all about enjoying the possibilities on the table.. one of which remains a good cold shot for the End of Feb and into March.

Posted

I can't see any bottles under the floorboards there; I've just taken delivery of a few cases today so I'll send them over, ok NL?

Posted

I would say this winter has had everything. Mild SW'ly, hurricane bawbag and its offspring, snow, ice rain, cold, and I dare say it has been a very good learning curve for a lot of members. Yes we have not had 4 feet of snow and -17c, but like has been said over and over again, cold can come at any-time. June\ July last year had 4c or 5c during a few evenings, so March and April can certainly shock if mother nature feels that way inclined.

Anyway, 2C and light drizzle here, as it has been for most of the day, so just chilling now waiting for The HC club house to open.

PS where has LadyPakal been this winter?

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Installation work continues. Hairy Celt at de bar! :drunk: