Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Further good level headed analysis concerning the next weke or so, courtesy of Isolated Frost, again from the MOD thread. :good:

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2252284

In short, the further EAST you are the better but there will be upgrades and downgrades as ever.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Thanks again OMM. We can all learn from your analysis and the PROS seem to have got this one spot on, wouldn't you say?

You're welcome, GTLTW. Yes, it did take the UKMet a while to latch onto this particular development (the GEM model was the first to show it as I recall) but these are such devilish tricky situations to call regarding where it will rain/snow and they did indeed do pretty well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

the thaw has set in!!!!

getting wet out there, hear the snow falling from the trees!

lets get these skies clear and a frost now!!!

Yuk, yes there is some messy backedge stuff out there but the winds will veer overnight to save most of the SNOW. I HOPE!

Posted

Temp steady since my last post at 0.9

DP steady too at -0.2

A surprising 3.5 or 4cm here!

Posted

Thanks OMM - It would seem years of experience are far superior to the more modern oregan weather station I have which is still indicating snow with a temp 1.9C and dew point of 2C even though it is absolutely 100% pure rain outside !!

Yes, that's true, that's what bothers me about there being so many automatic weather stations, you can't beat an experienced weather observer! And if the input data is dodgy, then we all know how that will affect the model output! Rubbish in, rubbish out!

Posted

Having a ciggie out in my conservatory listening to the rain hammering down on the polycarbonate roof thinking, what a waste lol. But then I say that every year when a cold spell arrives. Dont think I can take another round of excitement building in the model thread about possible events in the near future from charts cherry picked from the depths of outer space which never materialise. Nah,dont believe a word of it. Dont think I will bother to look again. But you know whats really funny? I say that every year too.

I feel your pain but really this has all gone pretty much as expected. Coastal areas this far west were never in the firing line. Always an outside chance but that was it.

As for the forseeable, you'd have to cherry pick to find mild from the charts at the moment ! Even on the Dorset coast I'd be amazed if we don't have at least one good snowy spell before winter end. You can hold me to that :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Looks pretty exicting actually next week and winter is far from over, Monday looks milder but cold quickly fighting back by Tuesday and hard frosts soon returning and as long as the cold hangs around there is always potential for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I think that pressure reading might be a bit off!

You might be right - I had the damn thing on sea level pressure instead of local! Local is 1016.3 - does that sound better??

Edit: when I went out for a smoke I tested the ground where the sleet has fallen on the front path - it feels decidedly icy! Could be fun on local roads tomorrow if it freezes over!

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted

Still good snowfall here! 3-4cm+

I am really surprised. Will be interesting to see what the next couple of hours brings.

Temp up .1 of a degree to 1.0c and DP -0.1

Guess it will be over for us soon... But I did say that a while back and it came down stronger!!

Edited by Sungirl

Posted

You might be right - I had the damn thing on sea level pressure instead of local! Local is 1016.3 - does that sound better??

Yes, that is more like it, although slightly too low but very good nevertheless. I'm at 1022.3hpa for comparison.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Here she goes! The race is on as is the thaw ... temp on the up now gone to 0.9c & -0.4cdp.

So comparing notes 3cm here . Still snowing quite well albeit wet and you can hear the trees dripping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Right just stopped snowing and the band is nearly at its end, just had a bit of sleet, but won't get rid of too much snow here, we had 10.8cm

Regards,Mark

Posted

Right just stopped snowing and the band is nearly at its end, just had a bit of sleet, but won't get rid of too much snow here, we had 10.8cm

Regards,Mark

A nice covering there Mark, more like 1 to 1 1/2 inches here I think, judging by window viewing. Any more measurements out there folks!

Still snowing but becoming very close to borderline sleet.

Posted
So comparing notes 3cm here . Still snowing quite well albeit wet and you can hear the trees dripping.
Not much here at all 1/2 inch at best. Not measured lately though!!

Posted

Regards,Mark

Good effort Mark !

Posted

A nice covering there Mark, more like 1 to 1 1/2 inches here I think, judging by window viewing. Any more measurements out there folks!

Still snowing but becoming very close to borderline sleet.

Not much here at all 1/2 inch at best. Not measured lately though!!

Blimey what's all this imperial measurement malarky ? And I thought I was one of the oldies on here. :D

Posted

Right then frontal mess, please get a shift on and then there will NOT be too many disappointed people by morning.

It is a long shot but the milder air is still trying to move in and ruin it for some. :wallbash:

I still maintain that it would take a serious warming to remove the snow cover, it might turn slushy but hell, who would have expected snow, even a week or so ago? :drinks:

A lot still to look forward to, but I think I'll heading to bed before long.

Thanks for behaving like adults on the whole, my lovelies. :rofl:

gottolovethisweather, who is older than slb and several others in here, being an ancient 40 years old now. :diablo: And I've still only got 1 1/2 to 2 inches cover and that is not an exaggeration. :rofl:

ps. In metric, I believe that 37mm to 50mm. :p

Posted

I'm 30 ... I'm "old". lol. I could do it in cm's if you prefer!!!

cm`s always make things sound BIGGER!!

Posted

cm`s always make things sound BIGGER!!

This is what 1 foot of snow looks like (12 inches for all you old timers)

post-1036-0-77593300-1328399182_thumb.jp

Edited by flyer

Posted

Yes, that's true, that's what bothers me about there being so many automatic weather stations, you can't beat an experienced weather observer! And if the input data is dodgy, then we all know how that will affect the model output! Rubbish in, rubbish out!

Correct!! I only spent about £120 on my set up, as an experiment. It's a subject that fascinates me, but having 3 kids i don't get the time i would like to spend researching it and along with the majority of viewers on here - only around in the winter - end up disappointed after reading all the hype on the forecasting model thread!! Need to find the time to read though the educational threads me thinks ! Although I've noitced, in summer nobody complains too much when the precipitation misses them after being forecast :winky: