Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Looking at the 23Z surface chart there is a low centre analysed in the Bristol Channel but if you look at the actual plotted pressure readings, it looks more like either we have an elongated LP stretching down from Lancashire right down to where it's been plotted on the analysis or there is more than one centre. With that configuration, offshore winds seem less likely. However, the occlusion in the North Sea off thye east coast of Scotland is already fragmenting so we could still pick up a light easterly tomorrow - might pull a bit of that continental air back.

Posted

This is what 1 foot of snow looks like (12 inches for all you old timers)

wow that is all of 30 cm`s lol or even 300mm!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Ahhhh that may be what 1ft looks like but this is what 2ft looks like...

431998_10150759956514408_562224407_12512710_2003678595_n.jpg

Now that is an excellent effort ! :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Slightly disappointed that it's now raining in Oxford. We have about an inch and a half ... maybe two inches of snow outside. Now just hoping the front clears quickly so that some of it lasts until morning!

Posted

Correct!! I only spent about £120 on my set up, as an experiment. It's a subject that fascinates me, but having 3 kids i don't get the time i would like to spend researching it and along with the majority of viewers on here - only around in the winter - end up disappointed after reading all the hype on the forecasting model thread!! Need to find the time to read though the educational threads me thinks ! Although I've noitced, in summer nobody complains too much when the precipitation misses them after being forecast :winky:

True, nobody really wants rain in the summer - unless it's a terrific thunderstorm of course!

These weather stations such as you describe are great for weather fans. It's when they substitute automation for official weather reporting done by trained observers that it bothers me! I spent 3 years observing and loved it - except the shift work which finally drove me to leave!

We're so lucky to have so much weather info these days. How I would have loved the Internet back in my young days when I first became interested in the subject!

Posted

Temp 1.2c

DP 0.0

Snow still fluttering slowly down - albeit tiny flakes and very few of them.

Posted

Falling snow nearly non-existent at the moment, quick jaunt outside shows depths of 7-8 cm. Not bad at all.

Wonder how much will remain in the morning?

Edited by MarkQPR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Don't want to scare anyone but it's raining now.

Gawd it was all a dream. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Got very heavy rain here now. Pressure has dropped to 1015.1, temp has increased to 2.4c (& is gradually climbing), 2.2mm of rain in past hour but that's on the increase too, dewpoint is 1.2c. Console still showing snow symbols but it's too warm here now for snow I think :(

Posted

yep temps risen slightly, everything is dripping wet outside.

we need clear skies now to freeze all this !!

not sure if there will be much left by morning at this rate!

Posted

Still raining here, temperature has been slowly climbing all evening & is now at 3.9C!

I did warn people over the last couple of days that it was likely to be a rain event on the extreme coast & here in Portsmouth in particular. Historically these sort of events have always produced rain here.

Posted

All over here

temp 1.2

DP 0.1

Snow stopped approx 4cm lying...

I love the snow outside when its warm inside and my fire is glowing. (a far cry from when I had a house that might as well have had no blimmin walls and we woke up to snow drifting 2.5cm in a wave under the back door!)

Posted

Wooo couldn't get on to post server was too busy for me. Looks like I got out just in time! Measured 1inch in 3 places. That's 1 inch...2.5cm or even 25.4mm!!! That is 25!!!!! TWENTY FIVE ... Came in and thought I heard rain but thought I was hallucinating - looked out and heavy rain against window. :(

Finishing at 1.3c DP: 0.2c ...

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

Wooo couldn't get on to post server was too busy for me. Looks like I got out just in time! Measured 1inch in 3 places. That's 1 inch...2.5cm or even 25.4mm!!! That is 25!!!!! TWENTY FIVE ... Came in and thought I heard rain but thought I was hallucinating - looked out and heavy rain against window. :(

Finishing at 1.3c DP: 0.2c ...

Congrats SB - 12 miles south of you and nothing...except 5.3 mm of rain..which i guess would equate to our 5cm of snow, had the temps and dew points been favourable !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

11cm in Headington Hill,Oxford. Snowed Continuously from 4:30pm till 12am. Some heavier bursts at different times gave 50p sized flakes and helped the accumulation amount to more :)

Good Night

Regards,Mark

Posted

Still raining here, temperature has been slowly climbing all evening & is now at 3.9C!

I did warn people over the last couple of days that it was likely to be a rain event on the extreme coast & here in Portsmouth in particular. Historically these sort of events have always produced rain here.

To be honest, I was expecting at least a few hours of snow for here in Havant. Being higher up and further away from the coast. Just shows how southerly winds can really effect the outcomes!

Currently raining, temperature 2.9c, DP still -1c

SM

Posted

The surface analysis for 00h seems to be a bit deranged as it has a small HP cell of 1032 over E Anglia where the plotted pressures are nowhere near that. Anyway, the lowest pressure readings are just SE of the Bristol Channel near the Gloucestershire/Somerset border, There is also another set of lower pressure readings of the Northumberland coast so we seem to have an elongated circulation.

Think I'd better turn in now. Nite nite!

Posted

At the risk of sounding extremely negative perhaps those of us on the south coast and southern coasts of south west england should just have our own "washout" thread, where we can all come together,and wish we live further inland :wallbash:

Posted

Gobsmacked - net curtains deceived me - still snowing here!!!

4cm+ and covered all my rock salted areas... Am really surprised.

Posted

STILL snow trickling down here in Bracknell !!!!

Edited by Sungirl