IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

???? butser?

post-1036-0-85540700-1328438478_thumb.jp

Posted

And the end result was...5cm of very fine snow here at midnight last night, which was probably the maximum. The snow turned to a rain/sleet mix later (must say the MetO and BBC forecasts were spot on) and we now have about 2cm of wet snow left on the ground, thawing slowly. Temperature 2.5 deg C - the probe at the bottom of the garden's got snow on it and stopped working for a while but seems OK again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As I and others have said, only 40 to 50mm here but even then I was in the land of nod at the official Met standard measuring time. ;)

Having said that, my Davis will be measuring the melted equivalent which should be reasonably accurate. I clearly didn't get the two feet that others got. :nonono:

Well done folks that got their wishes granted and once again I feel sad for those that missed. If you were to visit inland points of elevation, I'm sure there is a good covering for those that wish to play in it. :good:

Right, it is time for a coffee, a read up of the emails and for a check on the latest model outputs.

Cheers all.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Well congratulations to all you lucky people who got shovelfuls of snow. Get out there and enjoy it!

Here we had nothing but rain but not too disappointed as that is all I expected from this.

Posted

Lots on the South Downs I here.So off that way soon.Rained here most the night Though.Shame that front hadn't stalled 100 miles West.We all would have copped then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

For anyone curious about what is on offer for next week and beyond, this forecasts sums it up pretty well IMO.

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2255771

And then there is this, courtesy of the MetO, but even this at t+120 range which is well into FI.

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2255886

As the week progresses, we can firm up on where the next attack of cold air is to come from.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Well congratulations to all you lucky people who got shovelfuls of snow. Get out there and enjoy it!

Here we had nothing but rain but not too disappointed as that is all I expected from this.

Just been up to goodwood on the trundle.... loads of snow and kids on sledges! great stuff!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

It's a very good job I decided not to go back to Reading last night...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16891654

I live just off junct 4 and we got several inches, probably 7 or 8, with drifts off well over 10

Posted

Well done to all those who got snow, hopefully are turn on the coast will come.

We live in hope, however, reminded of being careful what I wish for seeing what is happening in Eastern parts of Europe at the mo!

Went over to the IW this morning and the Canoe Lake at Ryde is still frozen!

Amazing how just being the wrong side of marginal can have such a different result.

BO

Posted

Hello all.

If you want to see some snowy scenes, there are many pictures in the SE regional thread here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72485-london-the-south-east-regional-discussion-part-10/

Tilly, Exodus and many others have provided some wondeful images there. :good:

Here's to the rest of February and beyond. :drinks:

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Sooo after the disappointment of last night (4 me anyway) how's nxt wk looking? Someone said gud chance of cold again n gud potential of snow 4 us on th coast! Can anyone elaborate? N I've kno idea y I kp cmg bk for more lol

Posted

Sooo after the disappointment of last night (4 me anyway) how's nxt wk looking? Someone said gud chance of cold again n gud potential of snow 4 us on th coast! Can anyone elaborate? N I've kno idea y I kp cmg bk for more lol

Looks to have downgraded significantly, next week just looks cool and dull. Nothing to shout about at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Looks to have downgraded significantly, next week just looks cool and dull. Nothing to shout about at all.

I actually wish I hadn't asked now lol serves me right really! Gutted tho!! Roll on nxt winter :(

Posted

Wish I could disagree, but a downgrade certainly has been issued. However, the models are keeping high pressure to our North and while this situation remains, the chance for further snow cannot be ruled out.

BO

Posted

Don`t give up on this winter YET!

In the short term, wintery conditions still most evident ICE ! will be a big problem overnight and morning.

Be very carefull.

Don`t think we should write off this week either, 1 run from 1 model is not enough to write off winter.

there is still loads of potential in the poor outputs, now the ECM is turning out its latest offerings.

Posted

Well got to see some snow today, but had to get in the car and drive up the A3 to find it!

From Clanfield there was patchy snow, then all of a sudden everywhere was covered and Butser Hill had plenty of people sledging :)

Ended up in Liss, where we popped into a garden centre but had a cheeky snowball fight while we were there :p

Posted

Thank goodness that's over (the weekend craziness that is) sanity prevails again, all this "Will it, wont it..."

So given the next week it still looks dull & uninteresting, roll on March let's get this one behind us.

I'm still of the opinion it'll go down as a now no snowfall (lying) winter for down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Blimey you could hear a pin drop . Perhaps everyone has still got a hangover from our party in here on Saturday night. :gathering:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Looking like a big snow event according to this wed forecast, snow all day from 51% to 90%

http://www.netweathe...;sess=#forecast

gp8thsnow.jpg

Not sure thats right from what has been said on these forums last 24 hours

I would suggest no chance for Wednesday, don't write off our chances just yet though a bit further down the line, I've seen the models flip & change so many times over the past few weeks, however another couple of days of more of the same from the models, and that spells TREND to me. If all fails lets at least have some battering storms please..... :diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I've got a similar forecast here in Fareham lettice, starting late Tuesday night. However, after the crushing disappointment of this weekend I am going to take it with a bucket of salt and just see what happens :cray:

post-15355-0-15769200-1328524449_thumb.j

Posted

I will attempt some sort of analysis from here on in towards the middle of February.

Upon reading the MOD thread, once again a whole lot of us would come away rather puzzled by the posts in there. For example, there is talk of the atlantic reinvigorating itself, however my calendar suggests we are in February now, therefore historically the chances of the atlantic coming forcefully in are virtually NIL.

So where does that leave us? There is a glimmer of hope as suggested by others in here of something happening within t-36 hours, see the chart attached which shows a reason for this.

post-7183-0-84587000-1328526364_thumb.pn

After this, we are basically in a BLOCKED scenario. Having said this, there will be attempts to alter this pattern from other sources. One possibility is for atlantic fronts to try to edge into the extreme WEST of the UK and thereby attempting a repeat of what we all saw over the weekend. A more likely scenario however, is an attack from the NORTH or EAST and I personally would still favour an EASTERLY regime for many more days to come. Whilst, this blocking situation remains, your Air Pressure readings will remain very high in the region of 1030hpa to 1040hpa or so. Temperatures will remain in the COLD to VERY COLD category with Air Frosts making a return where skies clear. Some snow cover will remain, with this being more especially over the higher elevations. :drinks::cold:

There are plenty of days to come for SNOWFALL to arrive as it is at least remaining COLD. Execeptions to this may be parts of Dorset as always, this being where the first signs of SPRING may start to show themselves, come March. :p

Bye Bye

gottolovethisweather

Posted

There are plenty of days to come for SNOWFALL to arrive as it is at least remaining COLD. Execeptions to this may be parts of Dorset as always, this being where the first signs of SPRING may start to show themselves, come March. :p

Bye Bye

gottolovethisweather

GTLTW

Your a month out, the signs of Sping have already taken hold in Dorset, only being slightly reigned back in after last weeks colder intrusion.

A sure sign spring is whilst the country talks about freezing, snow & ice, down 'ere in Darzet it's about, "Ooo yur daffodils are looking good this year" :good: