Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted

I'm still livid about yesterday's battleground fail. It's pretty galling to be honest.

I'd happily take a pattern reset right now, risking milder weather from the Atlantic if it meant a better shot at Greenland blocking. Even by my area's own low standards this has been such a disappointing easterly, especially when you consider how potent it has been just across the channel. East-west split? No thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm still livid about yesterday's battleground fail. It's pretty galling to be honest.

I'd happily take a pattern reset right now, risking milder weather from the Atlantic if it meant a better shot at Greenland blocking. Even by my area's own low standards this has been such a disappointing easterly, especially when you consider how potent it has been just across the channel. East-west split? No thanks.

same with my battleground fail on 12 march 2006, take it you got a lot then? the front stalled west of me

Posted

Yes, look at Holland and they are normally only slightly colder than hear in the winter (Amsterdam average about 5C at this time of year, Liverpool about 7C) - Schipol airport almost made it to -20C the other night - and remember when we had the mild weather at Xmas the Low Countries and northern France were as mild as us with double figure temps - we get mild, they get mild but when they get severe cold, we have to miss out on the best LOL!

Luke

Posted

same with my battleground fail on 12 march 2006, take it you got a lot then? the front stalled west of me

Yes, about 15cm. And it was no colder then than it was yesterday (good going getting into the middle of March though).

The problem this time round was the front being too far east, but even then I expected at least some snow on the leading edge.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, February 6, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, February 6, 2012 - No reason given

Well i expect the regionals to be wound down soon to be honest and i cant see much of interest down the line so good luck to all the North westerners a shame we couldnt have had a repeat of the last 2 winters maybe we will next winter.

Heres to a nice hot summer we are certainly due one.

Til the next time...

Probably one of the biggest ' I'm spitting my dummy out'' post I've seen on any of the regional threads. see you tomorrow when the UKMET and the ECM 0z's and 12z's show northern blocking. the you Come back? scream and yell......YES. then cry foul when the 18z GFS shows all the UK in Blow torch mild South Westerlies.

zzzzz

Probably one of the biggest ' I'm spitting my dummy out'' post I've seen on any of the regional threads. see you tomorrow when the UKMET and the ECM 0z's and 12z's show northern blocking. the you Come back? scream and yell......YES. then cry foul when the 18z GFS shows all the UK in Blow torch mild South Westerlies.

zzzzz

Erm i beg your pardon?Im not spitting my dummy out at all.

Im wishing fellow north westerners well as im taking time out from posting and it will be spring soon so i imagine the regionlas will be wound up by the time i post again.

Despite your ill informed post i wish you well to.

Posted

Erm i beg your pardon?Im not spitting my dummy out at all.

Im wishing fellow north westerners well as im taking time out from posting and it will be spring soon so i imagine the regionlas will be wound up by the time i post again.

Despite your ill informed post i wish you well to.

It's the 5th of Feb. far from spring yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Right guys call it quits now hey, please?

Horrible damp and drizzley night here, 5.4c and not a breath of wind. The frosts should be returning this week, at least we'll get some nice crisp winter days.

It's the 5th of Feb. far from spring yet.

I know,i just decided to have a break from posting for a while im working away for 1 and have a few other things going on like a funeral for a start.

So im wishing my fellow nwers all the best as the regionlas might be closed when i come back and i like to say good luck when my winters closing .

FWIW im actually very happy about the snow we got so im not at all spitting my dummy out.

Im off now so good luck !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Thick fog here. It's like something out of a John Carpenter film.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The regional threads could be open until at least the end of February and no doubt longer IF the weather calls for it. Winter isn't finished with the UK yet. Certainly nothing mild anytime soon.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yep cold again from Wednesday onwards with overnight frosts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I am back now, the issue has been sorted.

Wednesday looks good on the FAX. Areas with a little elevation could do well, perhaps a top up of existing snow. Lower ground looks too marginal all over again.

Cold from tomorrow onwards, here is how I see this week panning out for my area:

Tonight: Cloudy with chance of fog. Low = +2C

Tomorrow: Cloudy, high = 6C low = -1C

Tuesday: Sunny, high = 3C low = -3C

Wednesday: Sunny, high = 3C low = -6C

Thursday: Sunny, high = 2C, low = -5C

Friday: Sunny, high = 2C low = -4C

Chance of some light snow on Wednesday. Small chance, but a chance.

So a lovely week ahead. :)

Posted

The regional threads could be open until at least the end of February and no doubt longer IF the weather calls for it. Winter isn't finished with the UK yet. Certainly nothing mild anytime soon.

Not according to the models or the MetO both who seem to be backing away from the idea of a cold and blocked Greenland high scenario.

Of course the models could suddenly flip again tomorrow I'll end look very silly with with my recent doom and gloom postings but the trend is concerning.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If anyone still thinks the GFS temperature prediction will be correct then check out what it predicts for this mornings temperature on 0z - sorry but that's disgracefully way out - widespread -5 to -7? Poor model performance at this range

Posted

Signs now that the cold spell will be ending in the next week, all the models now following the same script. This ties in well with yesterdays MetO update, kudos too them for seeing the mild signal. So a cold quiet week coming up, thereafter a slow return to the same old same old of this winter.

Posted

Here's a question ...

No snow at all whilst driving to work this morning, either North of Preston, West or even on the nearest hills to the East. Carnforth 30 miles North and nearer the coast, snow patches start appearing, 3 miles up the A6 towards Silverdale - full covering. Milnthorpe - further West and only 5 miles from the coast looks like it has had at least a couple of inches over the weekend. The snow is now wet but it is still fairly deep in patches.

How the heck can this, a more coastal area than Preston, Blackburn etc have had what looks like a decent fall of snow and yet areas further South nearer to the colder air, further inland had nothing ?

Posted
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,frost and fog
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)

certainly nothing mild anytime soon err well its positively balmy in Bootle today -temp is 7 degrees and rising !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

It might be showing mild weather today but we also have high pressure over us. Infact the warm front on satursday might have pushed all the cold air away, but it hasnt pushed the pressure away.

What this means is we should be getting settled weather with low night time temps, with hard frosts. We still have a 1036-1040MB High Pressure, same as we had last week.

Temps will struggle to get above 1-2c all week. Some people might wake upto freezing fog and some lovely hoar frosts. One of my favourite weather types too.

Cold Air will never be far away

post-12571-0-11705100-1328520368_thumb.p

post-12571-0-44196600-1328520360_thumb.p

post-12571-0-96208100-1328520350_thumb.p

post-12571-0-07088300-1328520342_thumb.p

Edited by Saintpeter

Posted

Here's a question ...

No snow at all whilst driving to work this morning, either North of Preston, West or even on the nearest hills to the East. Carnforth 30 miles North and nearer the coast, snow patches start appearing, 3 miles up the A6 towards Silverdale - full covering. Milnthorpe - further West and only 5 miles from the coast looks like it has had at least a couple of inches over the weekend. The snow is now wet but it is still fairly deep in patches.

How the heck can this, a more coastal area than Preston, Blackburn etc have had what looks like a decent fall of snow and yet areas further South nearer to the colder air, further inland had nothing ?

Sods law!

Posted

Here's a question ...

We had a pocket of mild air above us but below the clouds. Unbelievable but true. It left the clouds as snow, but hit the mild air and turned to rain.

Gone foggy here

Posted

If anyone still doubts it will be staying cold the metoffice have upgraded our cold weather alert. Which still stands at amber.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/