Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted

If anyone still doubts it will be staying cold the metoffice have upgraded our cold weather alert. Which still stands at amber.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/

I don't think anyone's doubting this week will be cold, thereafter it's looking odds on that it will turn slowly milder. Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

the models have cold all this week till monday next week at the least. after that it's FI. which can change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

was the pocket of mild air only above the NW?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

was the pocket of mild air only above the NW?

think so yes

a couple of forcasters picked up on it last minute

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Doesnt look good if you want snow :(

Posted

the models have cold all this week till monday next week at the least. after that it's FI. which can change

Quite true, but I wouldn't put money on cold lasting much longer than 7 days to be honest. No getting away from the fact, that this winter is as poor as any we have endured.

Posted

Still got the thick fog we had yesterday, infact it seems thicker this morning. Has some rain last night around 1am that I think then froze on the ground. I expected to wake up to find the snow gone but it seems the rain hardly effected, probably made it even worse to walk on if anything.

Posted

Quite true, but I wouldn't put money on cold lasting much longer than 7 days to be honest. No getting away from the fact, that this winter is as poor as any we have endured.

Yes, but is that poor or returning somewhere towards an average winter after the snow and cold of the previous two winters, which were in all honesty pretty exceptional for this part of the NW anyway. I think the events of the previous 2 winters may have skewed some peoples views on what winter is normally like in this part of the world.

Posted

the most i got from 09/10, 10/11 winters was 7cm

Posted

Yes, but is that poor or returning somewhere towards an average winter after the snow and cold of the previous two winters, which were in all honesty pretty exceptional for this part of the NW anyway. I think the events of the previous 2 winters may have skewed some peoples views on what winter is normally like in this part of the world.

To be honest hasn't even been a 'typical british winter', it's been an above average one with mostly above average temperatures up until recently.

But if you mean average in terms of milder than average winters becoming the norm over the last decade or so then yes you would be right.

Posted

To be honest hasn't even been a 'typical british winter', it's been an above average one with mostly above average temperatures up until recently.

But if you mean average in terms of milder than average winters becoming the norm over the last decade or so then yes you would be right.

I do agree with this point, but we have even had a day with lying snow here before Christmas, still short of average.

Look at these meto links I think they do paint an interesting picture.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/regmapavge.html#nwengland

Posted

I do agree with this point, but we have even had a day with lying snow here before Christmas, still short of average.

Look at these meto links I think they do paint an interesting picture.

http://www.metoffice....html#nwengland

Up until this month it's been anything but average, yes the last two winters were exceptional for depth of cold, but this winter as been exceptional for lack of any cold. An average winter is predominately mild with cold spells thrown into the mix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

according to weather online, theres some indications that milder weather may arrive here by weekend. but after that, cold north-westerlies may push

in next week. They say that confidence is pretty low atm.

Posted

Interesting how marginal it was for the south cumbria on saturday gone.

The local paper nwemail.co.uk showing decent falls in Ulverston and Coniston whereas 'inland' parts of coastal Barrow reported sleet only (by my Mum) and on Walney island rain only (by my Dad) !!

Posted

Interesting how marginal it was for the south cumbria on saturday gone.

The local paper nwemail.co.uk showing decent falls in Ulverston and Coniston whereas 'inland' parts of coastal Barrow reported sleet only (by my Mum) and on Walney island rain only (by my Dad) !!

Its always marginal on/near the coast of cumbria

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gorgeous day here, after a cloudy murky start things have really picked up with blue skies and lovely February sunshine, air temp 6.7c with the temp in direct sunlight being 15.0c :)

It was very marginal the snow event, even in Keswick they only had sleet and wet snow and yet a few miles further east and south they had a covering of 7cm+ but localised.

Picture overlooking Derwentwater around lunchtime today, taken with my phone. Wish I'd had my camera with me.

post-9615-0-60160200-1328538607_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Well the GFS 06z seems to be pulling us out of the fire for a brief time at least by reinstating northern blocking .

Wouldn't pin your hopes too much on it though seeing it's one of the least reliable of all the runs.

gfs 06 like the 18z is not going to happen..it never does, one run is for the hang over the other is the pub run the night before

Posted

well im going to give my forecast for south liverpool / hale for the next 2 days this is not for other places since quite frankly the weather here can be much different to what its like in places like ST. Helens or even Warrington.

Monday Afternoon: Top temperature 8C (Currently 8.1C), bright sunny spells, with broken clouds at times. remaining dry

Monday night: Minimum temperature 0/-2C, though it could drop down to -4/-5C hale and east. Winds ESE. Humidity 100%, wind speed 11kph (will feel more like -6/-8C) 70% to mist before late midnight, then 50% to freezing fog before clearing by dawn. 10% precip

Tuesday: Top temp 5/7C similar to Monday, mostly sunny, with broken cloud, remaining dry. Winds from the SE at 11kph will take the edge of the milder temperatures making it feel more like 0/2C

Tuesday Night: Min temo -4/-6C. mostly cloudy with wind from the SE at 24kph making it feel like -13C, dewpoint -8C, 0% of precip

I am only making a forecast for the rest of today and tomorrow, because wednesday is proving hard to forecast at the moment.

Today despite earlier showers, feeling warmer than of recent at 8C and it should remain dry for the rest of today and tonight, though there is a chance of mist and freezing fog tonight..temperatures around normal for the time of year (overnight, -6/-8.5C typical overnight frost temps in this imby)

Temps should hold up tomorrow at around the same values though it may feel a little chillier if that se wind kicks back in which will make it feel cold, still it should remain dry for the next 48 hours.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Gorgeous day here, after a cloudy murky start things have really picked up with blue skies and lovely February sunshine, air temp 6.7c with the temp in direct sunlight being 15.0c :)

It was very marginal the snow event, even in Keswick they only had sleet and wet snow and yet a few miles further east and south they had a covering of 7cm+ but localised.

Picture overlooking Derwentwater around lunchtime today, taken with my phone. Wish I'd had my camera with me.

post-9615-0-60160200-1328538607_thumb.jp

beautiful pic mate, makes me want to live there, but with what seems like an almost lack of snow i dont think i would want to haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

beautiful pic mate, makes me want to live there, but with what seems like an almost lack of snow i dont think i would want to haha

The snow on Saturday was very hit and miss as we all know, look at this picture only 11 miles away!

post-9615-0-11120300-1328541199_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That came to a very abrupt and unexpected end then didnt it, even worse than the end of last winter, at least that was a gradual let down through jan and became blatently obvious nothing was going to happen, this has gone from 'possibly just about to see a widespread 6 incher and sat 6z suggesting a stonking easterly to 3 inches here and hardly any snow in the rest of the NW, a thaw and winters over in the space of 48 hours, a real shock to the system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Very Foggy here and 4c currently here in South Cheshire with much of Saturday evenings 6-8cms of snow pretty much greying slush and puddles :cray:

Will the 12z deliver anything wintry??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

-7 tonight? What the fluff. Is there anyone out there that believes that winter isn't over yet? I sure don't

Make the most of the cold :cold: this week. As from next week the 12z has just thrown Winter in the bin with daytime temps back up to 8-10c :bad::cray:

Edited by SNOW GO