Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Stewfox don't do that to me lol! Though I'd posted in the wrong thread then when I saw your name.

Posted

Sorry pal, Hyde.

Hiya, welcome to the forum. If you want to pop your location into your profile you can do this by clicking on your name in the top right hand corner and clicking on my settings. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp was 2.1c at 8:00, now it's -0.5c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Tonight should easily fall to -5C here. 0.4C right now, with the Met Office expecting lows of -7C tonight. Awesome.

Posted

0.2C now, this drop is insane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-1.2c here and looking all white outside due to the higher dew points than of late.

Dew -1.9c

Edited by Liam J

Posted

-1.2c here and looking all white outside due to the higher dew points than of late.

Any patches of fog will make a lovely rime on all surfaces including trees, it'll be great for photography tomorrow.

Posted

I could see the fog thickening out over the solway just before the sun set, looked weird it was totally clear but I couldn't see Scotland due to the fog.

Posted

Fog finally cleared here around 3pm, to lovely clear blue skies. Snow still lying on the grass and footpaths but has now thawed on the roads. But saying that its all now froze again and the roads are probably worse than they were. Cars make a great cracking sound as they drive over the ice.

Posted

Expecting temps down to at least -5 degrees here by the morning. Yes we have higher dewpoints so we should see a superb hoar frost in the morning unlike many nights last week which saw hardly any visible frost despite temps below 0 degrees- thanks to the very dry air and lower dewpoints.

Tomorrow night and Wed look much colder and if we retain the snow cover then we could be looking at our coldest nights of the season so far.

Oh and by the way I think we saw the heaviest or at least equal heaviest snow in the region with 12cms - not the 10cms I was reporting. We did very very well on Saturday - very lucky.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Lovely crisp night out there tonight. crunchy grass and a layer of frost on everything.Temp now down to -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Expecting temps down to at least -5 degrees here by the morning. Yes we have higher dewpoints so we should see a superb hoar frost in the morning unlike many nights last week which saw hardly any visible frost despite temps below 0 degrees- thanks to the very dry air and lower dewpoints.

Tomorrow night and Wed look much colder and if we retain the snow cover then we could be looking at our coldest nights of the season so far.

Oh and by the way I think we saw the heaviest or at least equal heaviest snow in the region with 12cms - not the 10cms I was reporting. We did very very well on Saturday - very lucky.

Good point, we were only just behind you in terms of depth and i should remember that loads of places didnt see any but now it just seems almost pointless, at the time with the 0 and 6z s pointing to an easterly reload i was hoping that the 3ins was just going to be a precursor to a record breaking feb, just completely gutting and suprisinng, normally i am very negative and know there was always a chance of things going wrong but for all range models to flip so quickly to winter almost being over, i really didnt see that one coming, i knew a proper easterly reload was probably odds against but then to have the GH route to cold stamped out as well straight away is a real kick in the nuts.

Posted

Good point, we were only just behind you in terms of depth and i should remember that loads of places didnt see any but now it just seems almost pointless, at the time with the 0 and 6z s pointing to an easterly reload i was hoping that the 3ins was just going to be a precursor to a record breaking feb, just completely gutting and suprisinng, normally i am very negative and know there was always a chance of things going wrong but for all range models to flip so quickly to winter almost being over, i really didnt see that one coming, i knew a proper easterly reload was probably odds against but then to have the GH route to cold stamped out as well straight away is a real kick in the nuts.

I wouldn't cast aside the prospects of a greenland high just yet based on todays' models - the teleconnections etc support strong heights to our NW, and this is Feb when northerlies are much more likely to occur especially later in the month than during Dec and Jan - keep the faith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I wouldn't cast aside the prospects of a greenland high just yet based on todays' models - the teleconnections etc support strong heights to our NW, and this is Feb when northerlies are much more likely to occur especially later in the month than during Dec and Jan - keep the faith!

True and the other point is i could still get what i want in March, highly unlikely but i am not greedy with the length of any cold spell, a real big dumping followed by a couple of cold days is acceptable, snow depth, size of flakes, speed of fall in that order is what floats my boat, that said though the strat temp time series is now suggesting average strat temps so are teleconnections now supportive?, i doubt we will get a PV as dominant as december but if it reforms in the wrong place it could still screw us, TBH, if we were to get a potent cold spell i would say it 50/50 whether it comes from East or North.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Real thick frost here, even noticeable in the dark all sparkling away under the moonlight with a tawny owl hooting, spooky lol

Temp -1.5c

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its been -1.6C for a while now, but it isn't foggy.

I think when John Hammond sais -9 to -10C, he was probably referring to snow fields.

It is clear here tonight, and so given that temperatures are no plumetting anymore, I'm a little sceptical of -9C tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Currently -3.2 after our pea soup fog yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

a minimum of -5.3c this morning, very frosty everywhere , and very ligh tas well, won't be long before the much longer days are here

Posted

Hard frost and bitterly cold this morning, -3.4c atm after a minimum overnight of -4.8c. Real wintry scene. :)

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

-4c here at the moment, garden still has a light covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644547

odds for snow seems to be slimmer. :)

I make it round 2. bring it on snow!!

Edited by pip21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Cold and clear last night - sunny now . Currently -0.8C with a minimum of -2.9C