Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Paul, February 5, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Paul, February 5, 2012 - No reason given

What are you talking about, have I Mocked you in this thread? NO

Edited by Liam J
quoted deleted post
Posted

snapback.pngSaintpeter, on 05 February 2012 - 10:02 , said:

a lot worse. when we get snowd in we can get our house keys out of the car god help him. how do they get the house keys :lol:

it been known to bring planes down too

funnily enough snow is made in the same way as freezing rain.

Tiny droplets of moisture super cool and when they bump into each other they freeze instantly. as the other moisture droplets tuch the already frozen flakes they get bigger and bigger till they hit the ground as snow.

The power of ice! Helped bring down Air France 447 when supercooled water lodged in the pitot tubes of A330 at 35000ft.

Computer was then getting false airspeed readings,switched off and plane goes into unrecovered stall.

Thats technically not what happened. Yes the Pitot was blocked so sending false reading to the auto pilot. IT was an altitude change that caused it, they i think were cleared from 330 to 350 so they climbed but because the auto throttle/AP was getting a false reading it didnt increase power to the engines.

Thus as they climbed they lost airspeed. Now normally as you get close to a stall youll get the stick shaker, butin this instance as far as i remember the stick shaker was also linked to the faulty pitot so didnt engage. It was night and the pilot's didnt have the horizon as a ref point or they would have realised sooner that the angle of attack the auto pilot had taken was way out of normal flight envolope. Unfortunatly by the time the pilots had realised what was happening it was too late the plane stalled rolled onto it's back and from there on the situation was lost.

Very rarely can a commercial airliner recover if it rolls onto its back they simply arent designed for that eventuality. Infact i can think of only one case where the pilots managed to recover from such a situation and that was a china airlines flight that stalled in turbulance and somehow by skill and pure luck they manged to recover with about 5000ft feet left. Ironically NTSB blamed the pilots for getting into that situation and then commendating them for being able to recover and save 200+ lives. Theres pics of that plane after it had landed virtually all the elevators had been ripped of that plan along with landing bay doors and to this date no crew has ever been able to do what those pilots did in a simulator

Actually they reduced power from mach .82 to .80 on purpose-standard procedure in turbulence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time
Posted · Hidden by Paul, February 5, 2012 - No reason given

Please don't go BT :-( pretty please :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

What are talking about, have I Mocked you in this thread? NO

I didn't mention this thread did I?

Why am I still here? Logging off now, have fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Its been very spring like today, in fact some of the summer flowers are still going.. I took these on a walk today!

100_3361.jpg

Flowering Geraniums in February!

100_3353.jpg

A little early perhaps.

100_3355.jpg

Valerian doesn't usually flower in February (sometimes it does), but can flower year round in very mild climates.

100_3363.jpg

Seasonal periwinkle flowers

100_3362.jpg

Snapdragons in February!

100_3367.jpg

Camellia..

100_3369.jpg

some Hebe flowers out (fairly normal)

100_3373.jpg

Nice scenes of silhouette in the sunset.

Spring is always here.. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Some of you need to take a step back from the forum for a few days. It really is like a playground in here at the moment. Personal remarks about other members are completely unacceptable.

Posted

If it's not snow it'll soon be storms in a few months time. People need to remember it's the weather we are talking about here and the weather doesn't discriminate or have 'vendettas' against members, it's a variant and what occurs happens upon multitude of combinations all co-inciding at the same time. Infact if anything you are more likely to see a storm than snow because there's so little margin for error when it comes to snowfall that even just 1'c or change in dew points, altitude, 850hpa heights can make all the difference. So don't take it too personally when down the road someone happens to get a covering of the white stuff for the 3rd time in a row, and yet again you've got ziltch. Because you never know next time the variables could be in your favor.

Even for me in the Peak District there's been occasions when it's decided to skip across us, and re-precipitate again through the Midlands leaving a nice green streak through the middle of the country. Or missing out on Irish Sea streamers because the vectors were just a couple of degree's to the left/right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Maybe it's a bad case of PMS ( poor model syndrome)

Posted

We haven't had any snow here, just freezing rain and ice but it's finished off my geraniums which were still flowering from autumn! The milder winter has allowed daffodils, bluebells and crocus to peep right up out of the soil but I think they've all had a shock this weekend!

I just poppedoin here to see what your opinions are for what this week will bring... any ideas guys?

Seems to me the week coming up will be quite sunny down here by day, but could get a little scattered cloud by evening, as the week progresses though it will be sunny the temperatures will begin to lower again so by midweek we could be perhaps looking at 0C / -1C by day again nearer the weekend. After tuesday night, wednesday we should see overnight temps take a tumble again to around -5C maybe a little colder by the weekend, but i think we should concentrate on the first couple of days rather then getting carried away coz it may do the opposite..it wouldnt be the first time things go wrong with the weather lol but it does look sunny and dry through the week down here tho if a little chilly as time progresses

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I'm sure backtrack will be back later, he can't stay away for long lol.

Anyway....a slight thaw today but still a good cover, very foggy too, very thick up on the hills!

Posted

Its been very spring like today, in fact some of the summer flowers are still going.. I took these on a walk today!

100_3361.jpg

100_3353.jpg

A little early perhaps.

100_3355.jpg

Valerian doesn't usually flower in February (sometimes it does), but can flower year round in very mild climates.

100_3363.jpg

100_3362.jpg

Snapdragons in February!

100_3367.jpg

Camellia..

100_3369.jpg

100_3373.jpg

SP I could give you a great big kiss right now.

Very Pretty.

Posted

Wow that's one lucky fella, walker rescued off Bleaklow (2,077ft) while all that snow was going on Saturday night.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/02/05/major-rescue-after-night-runners-find-exhausted-walker

Posted

Wow that's one lucky fella, walker rescued off Bleaklow (2,077ft) while all that snow was going on Saturday night.

http://www.grough.co...xhausted-walker

the question is, what was a 74 year old man doing up the hill in the first place during that storm? surely someone should have raised the alarm (family members)..but yes a very very lucky escape for him, well done to the runners for saving his life

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well a slight thaw today, but still a good cover. Very foggy on the tops today though, visibility very poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

SP I could give you a great big kiss right now.

Very Pretty.

You're welcome! This is unusual but not unprecedented.

Climatically the area of low Heswall is interesting (not if you like cold and snow), it is probably the warmest spot in the entire region.. the record low over the past 30 years is -8C (in 1982). The air always feels Spring like in winter, and everything appears early in terms of spring shooting/flowering. The climate is probably similar to Cornwall. Up here however on the hilltop is a different world... it's still mild in winter, but it's alot cooler, and you feel it as well, walking from the lower town to the upper town.

Both places seem to get a similar amount of snow though.

Posted

Could be a challenge runner (?) I had 2 runners pass by me today while I was up on Whaley Moor, gave me somewhat of a scare to see this vision descending out of the mist before my brain kicked in that it would have been one of the Goyt Valley Striders out practising. Likely the conditions were a bit more extreme underfoot than he was planning and the sheer weight of snow underfoot slowed his pace, and just exhaustion got the better of him.

Only on Friday the Kinder Rescue team with the aid of a Police Helicopter from Barton recovered 2 stranded walkers along one of the cloughs near the Kinder Summit, definitely not a hill to be underestimated in any conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Looks like being cold and dull in the next 7 days atleast

Posted

A little early perhaps.

Snapdragons in February!

Camellia..

Lovely photos! We saw a couple of flowers on a rhododendron just after Christmas which shocked us!

Seems to me the week coming up will be quite sunny down here by day, but could get a little scattered cloud by evening, as the week progresses though it will be sunny the temperatures will begin to lower again so by midweek we could be perhaps looking at 0C / -1C by day again nearer the weekend. After tuesday night, wednesday we should see overnight temps take a tumble again to around -5C maybe a little colder by the weekend, but i think we should concentrate on the first couple of days rather then getting carried away coz it may do the opposite..it wouldnt be the first time things go wrong with the weather lol but it does look sunny and dry through the week down here tho if a little chilly as time progresses

Thanks HC. Don't mind it being cold as long as it's sunny and/or snowy. It's the grey, wet days I hate.

Posted

Lovely photos! We saw a couple of flowers on a rhododendron just after Christmas which shocked us!

Thanks HC. Don't mind it being cold as long as it's sunny and/or snowy. It's the grey, wet days I hate.

now i said it will be sunny, it will probably be cloudy lol

Could be a challenge runner (?) I had 2 runners pass by me today while I was up on Whaley Moor, gave me somewhat of a scare to see this vision descending out of the mist before my brain kicked in that it would have been one of the Goyt Valley Striders out practising. Likely the conditions were a bit more extreme underfoot than he was planning and the sheer weight of snow underfoot slowed his pace, and just exhaustion got the better of him.

Only on Friday the Kinder Rescue team with the aid of a Police Helicopter from Barton recovered 2 stranded walkers along one of the cloughs near the Kinder Summit, definitely not a hill to be underestimated in any conditions.

at least though is okay thats the main thing, it must have been horrific for him tho up there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Cloudy and dry here, not especially cold @ 4.9c. Been a very nice day in the sunshine and light winds.

The only flowers out up here are the snowdrops.

Posted

I kid you not I have a rose still out. Lots of snowdrops here. Daffs poking their heads through the soil etc.

I have to laugh but whenever I see palm trees in gardens around here they are usually dead stumps.

Posted

I kid you not I have a rose still out. Lots of snowdrops here. Daffs poking their heads through the soil etc.

I have to laugh but whenever I see palm trees in gardens around here they are usually dead stumps.

Last winter did most of them around areas, even in Wirral there are many stumps, but on the fringes they're fine. Last winter has the coldest temperature on record in my garden at -10.5C..!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just seen the countryfile weather for the week ahead and the east/west split continues

for our region after wednesday colder weather back with us arond +2c by day and

penetrating frost by night,no sign of any snow for any of the uk though even the weather fronts

pushing in from the west seem to stall in the irish sea.

C.S

FWIW

Meto have wintry PPN over the region wed night maybe some snow for those

with elevation

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

Just seen the countryfile weather for the week ahead and the east/west split continues

for our region after wednesday colder weather back with us arond +2c by day and

penetrating frost by night,no sign of any snow for any of the uk though even the weather fronts

pushing in from the west seem to stall in the irish sea.

C.S

FWIW

Meto have wintry PPN over the region wed night maybe some snow for those

with elevation

C.S

I would say that those with elevation could see some of the white stuff come Wednesday night. Looks a fairly benign week still for most of us in the NW though.