Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted

Yes, but is that poor or returning somewhere towards an average winter after the snow and cold of the previous two winters, which were in all honesty pretty exceptional for this part of the NW anyway. I think the events of the previous 2 winters may have skewed some peoples views on what winter is normally like in this part of the world.

I am not sure what part of the nw you live in yourself, but here a normal typical winter will see at least 3 periods of snowfall that don't usually last long or give much in the way of accumulation, there has been a very big and distinct lack of any real snowfall. Last and only time this winter was for a 4 hour period, at the beginning of december where we had wet snow, that after landing would melt..we ended up with approx only 1cm of snow..since then we have had nothing. Normal winters down here do not entail a warm to very warm december (compared to past december's as a whole in my observational logs) infact the average temperature is around 5/6C and closer towards freezing during the period of christmas. This past year as seen a significant rise in the temperature (15.6C, this is so rare that I have never in my life seen this temperature recorded here (in my location)...these temps also tend to be rare along the coast too, with a few exceptions (bidston etal) but certainly not over this way.

Now I know you can't possibly be talking about us down here or me, but I just wanted to highlight to you, how very mild it has been down here, especially through november and december, and through the vast majority of january, even the cold overnight frost's we've had still leave this immediate area at slightly above normal temperatures for the whole winter season, and should we get the next couple of weeks of this mild stuff, which it's really starting to look like..then those slightly above temps will be very much above temps for our entire winter season (remember this is my own imby observations and using my vantage pro2 and other pro weather monitoring devices), there may well be another cold spell, but from what im seeing im not remotely impressed...fi is barely beyond 48 hours imo

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Bring on spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp plummeting, 3.7c now. Expecting a frost tonight down to around -1.0c maybe slightly lower.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Dense Fog here with visibility very poor. Freezing fog may well be an issue tonight over much of Cheshire, Gtr Manchester, Merseyside and The Wirral.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I am done with wanting good nationwide snow.

I am very happy to see spring come and get double digit day temps :)

Hopefully the models will start to show that and get some plant life sprining up making nature that bit more nicer :)

Posted

gfs 06 like the 18z is not going to happen..it never does, one run is for the hang over the other is the pub run the night before

Well you're right there, dire runs again this evening.

I admire the optimism of some of those in here I really do but I think the time is fast approahing where they have to accept defeat and admit that it is indeed game over.

Posted

I am not sure what part of the nw you live in yourself, but here a normal typical winter will see at least 3 periods of snowfall that don't usually last long or give much in the way of accumulation, there has been a very big and distinct lack of any real snowfall. Last and only time this winter was for a 4 hour period, at the beginning of december where we had wet snow, that after landing would melt..we ended up with approx only 1cm of snow..since then we have had nothing. Normal winters down here do not entail a warm to very warm december (compared to past december's as a whole in my observational logs) infact the average temperature is around 5/6C and closer towards freezing during the period of christmas. This past year as seen a significant rise in the temperature (15.6C, this is so rare that I have never in my life seen this temperature recorded here (in my location)...these temps also tend to be rare along the coast too, with a few exceptions (bidston etal) but certainly not over this way.

Now I know you can't possibly be talking about us down here or me, but I just wanted to highlight to you, how very mild it has been down here, especially through november and december, and through the vast majority of january, even the cold overnight frost's we've had still leave this immediate area at slightly above normal temperatures for the whole winter season, and should we get the next couple of weeks of this mild stuff, which it's really starting to look like..then those slightly above temps will be very much above temps for our entire winter season (remember this is my own imby observations and using my vantage pro2 and other pro weather monitoring devices), there may well be another cold spell, but from what im seeing im not remotely impressed...fi is barely beyond 48 hours imo

Yes-coludn't agree more. People seem to forget that, even last winter after the December cold snap, January and February were really mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

temp has dropped 3c in half an hour.!!! now 3.2

3.8 even

Posted

Good news. Models continue to paint mild picture, and hopefully an early spring.

Hopefully get a good winter come November/December of this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'm starting to ask myself the question:

What do YOU expect?

I mean, you guys are looking beyond 92hrs on the models which is very unwise at the moment anyway, the ensembles are all over the place, and even the 500mb anomaly charts are struggling, the worst I have ever seen in fact. See my posted image, if that isn't just as good as snow, then what is?!

Sunny, crisp days with the temperature struggling to get above freezing during the day, dropping close to minus double digits at night.

post-8895-0-77642900-1328553326_thumb.pn

Simple, if you want snow, move. Go to Europe or Eastern England, and stop with the stupid 'winter is over' posts, because you know damn right it isn't. I know you're going to say 'you're one to talk about misleading people' but this is exactly what you are doing. Stop.

Good news. Models continue to paint mild picture, and hopefully an early spring.

Hopefully get a good winter come November/December of this year.

Exactly what I'm talking about, this is just silly.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Now down to 1.0c here, could be an air frost within the next hour or so. Very light NE'ly wind under clear skies.

Posted

BT, you're the biggest cold & snow ramper is thread, and I feel you often hype up a situation and mislead people. I have not said winter is over or anything like that. I have stated that the models are showing a more mild outlook at this timne and hopefully an early spring. Leave the snow and cold till later in the year when evenings are darker and sun is weaker. Snow in late Feb bores me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well the MO have the temp forecasted to be 4c now, but it is actually 1.8c! A bit out aih?

Posted

I'm starting to ask myself the question:

What do YOU expect?

I mean, you guys are looking beyond 92hrs on the models which is very unwise at the moment anyway, the ensembles are all over the place, and even the 500mb anomaly charts are struggling, the worst I have ever seen in fact. See my posted image, if that isn't just as good as snow, then what is?!

Sunny, crisp days with the temperature struggling to get above freezing during the day, dropping close to minus double digits at night.

post-8895-0-77642900-1328553326_thumb.pn

Simple, if you want snow, move. Go to Europe or Eastern England, and stop with the stupid 'winter is over' posts, because you know damn right it isn't. I know you're going to say 'you're one to talk about misleading people' but this is exactly what you are doing. Stop.

Exactly what I'm talking about, this is just silly.

Hi BT,

I am not that bothered about getting snow now, I will be happy with a few hard frosts (i.e. temperatures below freezing). The freezing rain/ice event was interesting as we don't normally get it here so I could say it was more intersting than snow - raining at -1C.

Anyway are we expecting hard frosts this week some decent frosts would be great I would love to get to -6C under clear skies makes it seem seasonal what nights are we expecting hard frosts?

Anyway, the Model Thread drives my head in sometimes there seems to be a lot of gloom and doom on thier at the moment - even some of the more optimistic posters (example TEITS) are starting to get grumpy looking at the lastest output.

Posted

Snow in late Feb bores me.

As Mr Spock would say that is illogical

How can something bore you if you have seen so little of it? Yes if it has been very snowy but it hasn't so there is no logic to that comment.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It really could get very very cold tonight.. against the run of play as they say, it cloudyish, but the temperatures is dropping like a stone.

Potential for -5C tonight I think, buy very surprising considering the ground isn't all that cold anymore.

Posted

It really could get very very cold tonight.. against the run of play as they say, it cloudyish, but the temperatures is dropping like a stone.

Potential for -5C tonight I think, buy very surprising considering the ground isn't all that cold anymore.

I see I notice Blackpool Airport are on 1C and thats right on the coast see www.xcweather.co.uk.

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

meto have a wintry mix for the region midweek,probably change tomorrow after this evenings poor showing

from the models

C.S

strange, today reched 6c today,but my pond is still iced over

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

BT, you're the biggest cold & snow ramper is thread, and I feel you often hype up a situation and mislead people. I have not said winter is over or anything like that. I have stated that the models are showing a more mild outlook at this timne and hopefully an early spring. Leave the snow and cold till later in the year when evenings are darker and sun is weaker. Snow in late Feb bores me.

Yes I'm a cold ramper, so what?

Some times I can get a bit carried away when I see the potential for a great event. There was a warm air pocket at 900hPa preventing it from snowing here, but everywhere else got snow on Saturday, so my forecast was actually correct.

However, when it comes to the models, you'll find I offer a very unbiased view, so an unfair comment tbh.

Hi BT,

I am not that bothered about getting snow now, I will be happy with a few hard frosts (i.e. temperatures below freezing). The freezing rain/ice event was interesting as we don't normally get it here so I could say it was more intersting than snow - raining at -1C.

Anyway are we expecting hard frosts this week some decent frosts would be great I would love to get to -6C under clear skies makes it seem seasonal what nights are we expecting hard frosts?

Anyway, the Model Thread drives my head in sometimes there seems to be a lot of gloom and doom on thier at the moment - even some of the more optimistic posters (example TEITS) are starting to get grumpy looking at the lastest output.

Hey Luke,

Yes, -6C and below very possible this coming week, along with some lovely crisp winter days.

Pay attention to what Glacier Point says, he's rarely wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yes, I think you might be right, temp now 1.6c. Met office seem too have over predicted the temps tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Indeed... think this easterly is coming in faster.. everything recently seems very up in the air though anyway.

Posted

Temps really dropping like a stone -0.5c here in west Manchester. I have seen at least 6 gritting lorries on the M60 late this afternoon ( Mind the paintwork mate)! The easterly is fighting back me thinks!

Posted

Is there something wrong with my sensors? It feels freezing out there, yet both say 4.1C, and everywhere around me is at least 2C colder.