Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Autumn Weather Discussion

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

As the weather is on the change to springlike, so does the name change.

However please carry discussions as before, including wintry if the weather decides to pick up on the irony of the thread title.

This thread should have been called this from the start, as winter never really started lol. Looking forward to spring like weather and some storms. Then monsoon season in the summer haha :).

My post from the moaning about winter thread thread.

Here 7 days of falling snow, 3 times it settled for a few hours, but 0 making Met Office Snow Days status. So a bad winter for snow but better than 1999/2000 and 2007/2008.

However hidden in that, I would be lying If I said I wasn't disappointed in the above, on 2 of the 3 occasions the snow did settle for a while I did see heavy snow falling and while not exactly blizzards there was heavy snow and it was nice to see the snow start to settle, both happened during the day, on one occasion about 1cm on grass, which thawed due to the warmth of the ground, strangely snow which was on the garden fence lasted until morning, The other occasion there was above 1-2cm on all surfaces, enough for a snowball fight, before heavy rain washed it away.

Just looking out of the window and there is some snow on the top of the mountains looking Northeast towards Port Talbot, probably around 300m, wonder if anyone living nearby can confirm this.

Posted

My post from the moaning about winter thread thread.

Just looking out of the window and there is some snow on the top of the mountains looking Northeast towards Port Talbot, probably around 300m, wonder if anyone living nearby can confirm this.

Snow here, wet slushy stuff on the beacons nothing of note.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Not a jot of lying snow here all Winter!

Weather guide Monday 20th to Sunday 26th February (regionally specific)

Headline: Becoming very mild. Changeable with some rain at times. Exceptionally mild on Thursday and Friday, especially the Midlands

Unless the next few months are very wet, then water shortages beckon for the Midlands this Summer, as the Winter has failed to produce adequate rainfall after the very dry 2011. The rest of February will only see small amounts of rain for Warwickshire once more.

High pressure over us tonight gives a frosty start to Monday, although this may be lifting by dawn over west Wales as a milder breeze spreads in. A dry, bright day for the MIdlands, but clouding over for west Wales, and drizzle possible late in the evening.

From Tuesday, a deep fetch of air originating from the tropical Atlantic, feeds in increasingly mild winds from the south-west or west. Mostly cloudy and mild on Tuesday and Wednesday with rain and drizzle at times, most for west Wales; drier spells for Midlands. although even here there will be a spell of light rain late on Wednesday. Fresh to strong south-west winds.

post-2595-0-10846300-1329654817_thumb.gi post-2595-0-07304200-1329654854_thumb.pn post-2595-0-29556600-1329654877_thumb.gi

Thursday and Friday will be mostly dry, bar the odd spot of drizzle for west Wales (typical!). Sunny spells are likely for the central Midlands meaning exceptionally mild days, reaching as high as 15 or even 16c. Even for cloudier west Wales, 13 or 14c is attainable on Thursday. These figures are not often reached in February and are 6 to 8c above the average. Still a fair bit below the record of 19c reached in the Midlands in February 1998 though.

post-2595-0-02256600-1329654908_thumb.gi post-2595-0-26183000-1329655067_thumb.pn post-2595-0-78763000-1329654972_thumb.gi

A mainly dry looking set up for next weekend, although weak troughs may threaten a little rain in places. Should skies clear by night then slight frosts would occur.

post-2595-0-91012600-1329655269_thumb.pn post-2595-0-04627300-1329655313_thumb.gi

Posted

Just had a wintry shower, a mix of sleet and soft hail.

Quick! Change the thread title to Winter!

Quick! Change the thread title to Winter!

See my thread change has worked if it stayed as it was, it would have been rain. :rofl:

I wonder what the warmest place in Wales will be next week, I suggest Hawarden no surprise there and 15c.

Posted

Just had a wintry shower, a mix of sleet and soft hail.

Yes Jackone snow just above me craigcefn parc wintry mix here snow in heavier bursts,.

Posted

Had 3cm of snow overnight, it has been snowing moderately for the past 20 minutes.

Posted

Had 3cm of snow overnight, it has been snowing moderately for the past 20 minutes.

I did think it looked like the NE of Wales was getting a bit! :acute:

Enjoy it quick while it lasts!

The winter here has brought 9 days snow falling, and 5 days snow lying (not sure what official requirement is, but I've included any day where there was cover at 9.00am of greater than 50% of the ground, sometimes it was just a dusting though but so long as it was all over I counted it). December was the snowiest month, followed by February then January.

Hoping for some snow in the spring though... :acute:

Posted

That's the way to record lying snow yes Mike, anything with over half the ground covered surrounding your site.

Posted

Well another dissapointing winter to go with the 35 odd other ones just to say in our maritime weather isent conductive to snow :rofl: .

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yes its the same here 0 days with lying snow past 9am, infact only 1 day had lying snow for a few hours and that was the weekend of the frontal snowfall! Its still been around 6-7C by day here this weekend so anything that did fall was always going to be rain here.

Anyone think we will have a better year for storms this year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

No days with lying snow here at all. 2/3 days where there has been snow flakes falling though, including today. I'm hoping for a wet spring this year, followed by a nice sunny summer for Wales, before I go off to uni.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

No days with lying snow here at all. 2/3 days where there has been snow flakes falling though, including today. I'm hoping for a wet spring this year, followed by a nice sunny summer for Wales, before I go off to uni.

What uni are you hoping to go to? Yes a wet spring would be good!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

What uni are you hoping to go to? Yes a wet spring would be good!!

Hopefully Cardiff :) , though I am still waiting to hear back from them...

Posted

Good luck I hope you get in! I have quite a few friends who have applied there! :)

Maybe the last 'cold' night of the winter, currently 1.8C out with a light NW wind.

Posted

Maybe the last 'cold' night of the winter, currently 1.8C out with a light NW wind.

The last cold night of the official winter perhaps, but there's usually a fair few frosts in the spring and there may well be yet. Still not impossible that March will bring snow, you just never know with weather in this country. Just got to take it how it comes.

Anyway, -2.7c here currently, should be a decent frost in the morning.

Posted

Last year I completed more gritting applications in March than I did in February........

Something tells me that people are jumpin the gun with 'spring is here'........famous last words ???....... :doh:

I wont be packing the gritters away just yet!

Posted

well im hoping for a drought ha ha,i think us in wales have had our fair share ov rain to last us yrs and yrs so sun sun sun please from now until last week ov oct.

be nice to have plus 17 by next weekend and go up 2 degrees every month until aug then drop 5 each month.

yes its been quite rubbish this winter guys and i hope its over now as from now norm only gives wet snow that melts in hrs. never mind its only 8 and half months and we all be back looking at the models(dont trust them guys they are spys) and we will also all be clicking onto the radars lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Good choice Cardiff, I'm having the best time of my life here! Went home to North West Wales over the weekend, near Snowdon, had snow falling this morning which gave a covering, my village is around 210 meters therefore anything under didn't get anything. Now back in Cardiff, can see some stars and temperatures hovering around the 2C mark.