Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Even more reasons as to why I hate Telford so much...they get more storms than us! I think that sin is worse than the 1001 roundabouts and traffic lights! We had a heavy hail shower in Birdgnorth but NO thunder again...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

On my way home yesterday ( after a day of hail )

I had this heading for me. It was chasing me after I went for a bike ride.. Funny as normally i chase them!

When it finally reached south glos it had dissipated a fair amount but still looked lovely with the sunset behind it and some very intense hail.

post-182-0-36204400-1334227962_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Near miss from that thundery shower near Telford....The emphasis today I think is on more southern and eastern areas of the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like Harrys favorite TV channel tease.gif

250px-Mickey_Mouse.svg.png

Haha charming! It is now anyway seeing as Discovery axed storm chasers!!! :cray:

The stormy looking cluster over N London has kicked out a few sparks judging by the lightning detectors, though not observed by me :cray:

Still only midday with a good 3-4 hours left

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Haha charming! It is now anyway seeing as Discovery axed storm chasers!!! cray.gif

The stormy looking cluster over N London has kicked out a few sparks judging by the lightning detectors, though not observed by me cray.gif

Still only midday with a good 3-4 hours left

That cell to the north east/east of London didn't please one of the inbound Virgin 747s. They asked to go around it haha!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sky looks very convective today despite being cloudy, reminds me of a Singapore sky, which is usually cloudy but bright

Posted

That cell to the north east/east of London didn't please one of the inbound Virgin 747s. They asked to go around it haha!

Yeah its brilliant listening (119.725) on days like today

Posted

Yeah its brilliant listening (119.725) on days like today

I was listening to 120.400 on my new scanner, don't really listen as much as I used too... but it can give a far better picture from up in the air.

What's annoying is the aircraft is free today, I could go up to Biggin which is on a hill and would give you miles of view for convection. Even if we sat in the aircraft we'd still get a good view (on the ground) ahah!!

Posted

I work beneath the Lambourne stack, yesterday saw all the aircraft stacking clockwise (normally anti-clockwise) to avoid a storm to their south. You know something's up when you see that!!

Posted

I work beneath the Lambourne stack, yesterday saw all the aircraft stacking clockwise (normally anti-clockwise) to avoid a storm to their south. You know something's up when you see that!!

What amazes me is many people on here know that haha, aswell as the frequencies in use for the UK's busiest airport.

Yeah, this is the baby showing up on radar at the moment.

vo06th.png

Heading for Harry of course.... :D

Posted

What amazes me is many people on here know that haha, aswell as the frequencies in use for the UK's busiest airport.

Yeah, this is the baby showing up on radar at the moment.

vo06th.png

Heading for Harry of course.... biggrin.png

Well all the planes are holding 15 miles short of lambourne due to a cell over lambourne at the moment

I am pretty sure that the planes usually stack clockwise over lambourne

I love the look of the stuff over the midlands heading towards London

Edited by Weather wizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like the West Midlands will soon have a dry afternoon. No new showers appear to be building after this lot here.

Posted

Well all the planes are holding 15 miles short of lambourne due to a cell over lambourne at the moment

I am pretty sure that the planes usually stack clockwise over lambourne

I love the look of the stuff over the midlands heading towards London

I've worked here for 13 years, only ever see clockwise (right turns) when there's a storm ahead.

Posted

EGLC 121120Z 36008KT 320V040 9999 SHRA TS SCT030 BKN045CB 08/04 Q1003

Scattered clouds at a height of 3000ft

Broken clouds at a height of 4500 ft ,Cumulonimbus. rain showers and thunderstorm

Posted

That lot over Birmingham wants to all join together, anyone more knowledgeable out their thinking it may/could happen?? i.e a weak MCS?? it seems to all be joining together as it heads SSE

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

A convergence line now setting up nicely across the spine of the Pennines into the Midlands, as daytime heating builds further up to 4pm (including nocturnal cooling after 7pm) things should start to go 'bang'

Posted

Nice, look at that line down through the pennines in to the midlands! Must be a convergence there causing that as this colder air spills down in to the milder air, now all we need is one to form over Cumbria and I'm all set.

Posted

A convergence line now setting up nicely across the spine of the Pennines into the Midlands, as daytime heating builds further up to 4pm (including nocturnal cooling after 7pm) things should start to go 'bang'

Looking at the cloudbanks that are building over the Pennines from my front room (god bless the lack of hills in this part of the world, so I can see clouds a fair few miles away), they're going to go pop with a bit of a bang.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Mum just told me that there were two loud rumbles of thunder with the heavy rain and hail shower yesterday afternoon, there was no thunder in Coventry.

Sunny periods and pleasant here this morning, big showers about to hit they are now over Coventry. One sferic picked up half hour ago too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

There already is electrical activity in those cells.

Really impressive convection to my north, today looks better then yesterday but as ever I am cautious..