Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012

Coast

Posted

Heading my way?

Nice rumble of thunder just now from a cell that's popped up from nowhere pretty much directly overhead

blimey....big flash of fork lightning and sharp crack of thunder....strewth, that was close!!

Posted

Given these are pulse-cells anyway there's little point, as by the time anyone gets to them from a considerable distance away either dissipation or low-level convective clouds obscure anything thats left. Chasing is best left for the summer season when temps are at the max and often (here in the Pennines anyway at 1000ft elevation) you can see the tops that are as far as 200 miles away.

Or next month even, can be much better for storms then as things start to warm up.

I snapped this one in May last year which turned out to be a cracker:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Convective to my east, flat as a witch's t*t to my west.

There's a matter of 15-20 miles in it.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Yep same here!! Lovely peel though missed the flash! Hat-trick of thunder days woohooo!!! :yahoo:

Here in north London I'm on a hatrick of FAILS lol. U central peeps are stealing all the thunder grrr ;)

Got some heavy rain and bit of hail.

I'll save my rant for the no storms club hehe but I'll wait til the fat lady sings....

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Heading my way?

Passing through Cannock towards Walsall by the looks of things......I'm posting 2 radar grabs to show just how quickly this particular cell fired up, less than 20 minutes in this case...post-4149-0-70979500-1334236847.txtpost-4149-0-08094300-1334236963_thumb.pn

Posted

Convection starting to take hold a bit more here now, not sure if it is due to the hills or that convergence zone weakening but I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing a few hail storms soon.

post-131-0-35556300-1334237060_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Alrite, massive gap for the sun to start it's thing... then there's a massive anvil to my north west. COME ON!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Awesome looking storm heading for Cheltenham!

Posted

Cheers AJ! Looks like a miss then unless the northern flank fires up! Wondering how I'm still dry by the looks of that radar?????

Passing through Cannock towards Walsall by the looks of things......I'm posting 2 radar grabs to show just how quickly this particular cell fired up, less than 20 minutes in this case...post-4149-0-70979500-1334236847.txtpost-4149-0-08094300-1334236963_thumb.pn

Posted

first real downpour of the day here in Bury St Eds. Hoping more intense things will hit us later on

Edited by lewisosd

Posted

Got a load of little squalls popping up around me, just hope one sits around for a bit. Temperature has dropped a little though.

Posted
Passing through Cannock towards Walsall by the looks of things......I'm posting 2 radar grabs to show just how quickly this particular cell fired up, less than 20 minutes in this case... hiradarzoomv42.pl.png image2.png

Those are older convection passed on from me, I've been watching it. Smaller fluffy cumulus are moving in from the north then getting a sudden intensification as they pass over so areas to the south like Manchester are going to get a lot of showers over the next few hours.

It's a strange sight, out the front there are small cumulus whereas out the back there are much bigger ones shooting straight up in to big towers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Alrite, massive gap for the sun to start it's thing... then there's a massive anvil to my north west. COME ON!!

Radar looks very similar to this time yesterday with a band of showers to the nw and another to the se.

I'm gonna have to go all out and bust a thunder and lightning dance to will it over lol

Guest QuantumSnow

Radar looks very similar to this time yesterday with a band of showers to the nw and another to the se.

I'm gonna have to go all out and bust a thunder and lightning dance to will it over lol

Get out there and cut some shapes SS! :lol:

Rained a bit and some distant thunder here but that was it.

Posted

Looking at the radar, I've got a line of 5 heavy showers lining up to come my way in the next couple of hours.. Hope one gets a little bigger..

Posted

Now got two very dark areas to the north/northeast/east of me, and the south/southwest. Its grey here, but thats it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Lots of heavy rain / hail.

Thunder every 30 seconds or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I can literally see the rain falling on the roofs to the south east of here. wacko.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

another cell has popped up just to my east along that convergence line.....this one really has my interest as I've been out recording footage and there's a lot of shear and rotation/spin going on in that cell...I'm going to upload footage this afternoon so peeps can take a lot