Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 2

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Hi Robbie my PWS decided to give up the ghost yesterday so could you possibly tell me where I can find those Heathrow and/or Northolt figures please ?

Cheers

Netweather Extra (Radar only) gives the figure for London.

It's on the page and it says 'rainfall totals' > select London station > and tables.

Posted

Blowing a gale here on the Essex coast. Just done a quick damage check in the garden before total darkness. One small tree down and a fence panel soon to follow by the looks of things. Lights flickering too. I knew it was going to be a bit nasty but this is awful at the moment.

It got worse here after midnight as I expect it did down in Essex, I haven't been outside yet but things were literally crashing against the side of the house and the garden wall while i was in bed.I imagine it was garden furniture, wheelie bins, or maybe fence panels.I wouldn't be surprised to hear of larger trees down, roof damage, that sort of thing, it was the strongest gale i have known for some years here.

Posted

I reckon it must have been the extreme coastal areas that suffered the highest winds. Being a cynic, I would only expect it to make the national news if it affects one of the large cities or there's some footage of trucks on their sides on a major motorway.

Posted

There's nothing on the news because it's just heavy rain. Nothing out the ordinary. I'm racking my brains to find out what all this fuss is about.

I reading posts such as - fence blown down/ things crashing against their house. I must be in a different country as its just heavy rain here and a steady wind. Normal English weather

Edited by Anthonyb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I can't actually find any news about last nights weather which is a bit surprising, please if anyone sees any articles can they put a link?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17884961

Posted

Thank you, maybe they'll update it about wind damage later

There's nothing on the news because it's just heavy rain. Nothing out the ordinary. I'm racking my brains to find out what all this fuss is about.

I reading posts such as - fence blown down/ things crashing against their house. I must be in a different country as its just heavy rain here and a steady wind. Normal English weather

It appears it was localised on the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

To break the alltime rain record for April suggests a little out of the ordinary.

The strongest winds and heaviest rain were not predicted for our region they were for West Midlands, parts of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.

But to say nothing out of the ordinary when we have never recorded this much rain in April before is a tad contradictory.

22mm in the past 24 hours on my weather station tho I'm not sure how accurate it is. Gust of 39mph. Blossom absolutely everywhere.

At least tomorrow will be a welcome break from this soaking....and maybe even this arvo if the BBC got it right...hope so

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

To break the alltime rain record for April suggests a little out of the ordinary.

The strongest winds and heaviest rain were not predicted for our region they were for West Midlands, parts of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.

But to say nothing out of the ordinary when we have never recorded this much rain in April before is a tad contradictory

Has it now broken the record then? I thought it would be close to the 2000 level, but I saw a forecast a couple of days ago saying it still might be tough to break.

Posted

It may have just been heavy rain in Herts but it was gale force here on the coast and is still gusty. Last time we had prolonged rain in this area like this was 2000. This is an event for us out here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Crossing the local stream to reach the abundant wild garlic could be an interesting experience today!

AS

Crossing some of the local roads has been an interesting experience here today ....

post-10773-0-17936200-1335699229_thumb.j

Nothing out the ordinary. I'm racking my brains to find out what all this fuss is about.

Depends where you live I suppose.....nothing ordinary about the floods round here....

post-10773-0-86913000-1335699333_thumb.j

post-10773-0-14937700-1335699354_thumb.j

...and it's still raining !

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Certain areas including parts of the MIdlands and northern England have already broken long- standing April rainfall records going back over 100 years.

Posted

It may have just been heavy rain in Herts but it was gale force here on the coast and is still gusty. Last time we had prolonged rain in this area like this was 2000. This is an event for us out here.

Apparently, on the A12 between your and my locations, there have been several nasty accidents due to the weather, my boyfriend saw some this morning as he was driving, one carriageway was blocked off, and fire engines were rushing to the scene(s)

Posted

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Sunshine and blue sky. Get the barbie out!

Posted

I guess it might actually end up being a wet Spring then, despite the dry start.

The records for England show that the Spring statistics far and away stand out as contributing to the dry period since the start of 2010.

The weather forecast after Country Tracks was a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a bit more dry weather this week. It looked like most days had rain again here.sorry.gif

Edited by Speed67

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

As for tomorrows rain and wind and into Sunday it's just going to be another usual wet and windy day for the uk! No hype please

Well I'm at my new house in east London and all my pots - flowers etc are in the same position as they were yesterday. Just spoke to my mum in herts which is only down the road from you and she said " wheres this storm you were telling me about, looks like just a normal wet English day" lol

No power cuts in London or herts due to weather.. I just don't get it. Even my garden ornaments (light ones) haven't moved.

Other than rainfall totals this is just another normal UK day weather wise. (wet)

Looking forward to seeing the sun breaking through later with temps up to 16c. Still showers around though.

My question is Antonyb is why did you hype up the 'storm' to your mother?

Surely you would have told her the first bolded bit yesterday?

Posted

My question is Antonyb is why did you hype up the 'storm' to your mother?

Surely you would have told her the first bolded bit yesterday?

I wondered the exact same thing!

I also wondered how st Albans is only 'down the road' from east London.

Ah blue sky sounds good I'll go pop on my shorts and t shirt :D

Posted

I ought to ask Wivenswold this, as he'll only be a couple of miles down the road from me, but I don't think we're actually under a hosepipe ban here?

A quirk, as I'm only about 4 miles from the statistically driest part of the country.

Posted

Not really seen any of the gale force winds today, albeit it has been breezy. Rains much lighter now but looks to be more on the way in the next couple of hours, 11.5mm of rain so far. Glad it is going to be dry tomorrow as spending the day in London before going to a concert :), then very wet on tuesday again.

Posted

I ought to ask Wivenswold this, as he'll only be a couple of miles down the road from me, but I don't think we're actually under a hosepipe ban here?

A quirk, as I'm only about 4 miles from the statistically driest part of the country.

we are, and we're not that far away.

Posted

Rain has finished here WOOP WOOP :D

when we got our hosepipe ban my water board said it was also 6 neighbouring water boards too so I think its unlikely that you escaped. Easiest way to check is to go to the website of your water company, there will be a notice on there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

12C here, and drying up after a wet/windy night, and sun popping through now and then, looks like showers from coming up from the south will follow behind the main rain though.

Posted

we are, and we're not that far away.

My location isn't covered by Anglian Water, although I think Colchester is. I know Anglian Water has a ban. I don't think my water company ( can't quite remember what it's called..blush.png ) has one though, but I'm not certain

Posted

Hi Speed67, no we don't have a hosepipe ban. Veolia Tendring is the only water company in this part of Britain that's not imposed a ban. Not that we've needed hosepipes recently.

Look! Sunshine.