Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012 Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I am probably older than you and there were even more storms in the seventies , if a storm was forcast after a hot spell in the north west it was almost garaunteed but ocassionaly didnt happen , Well you know the situation now the complete opposite, and its not selective memory

Baffling

Yep I'm only 24 (almost) and I'm sure it's not selective memory and yes it really is baffling; as Carl has said people will think we're moaning but we really haven't seen anything of note for a long while now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Yep I'm only 24 (almost) and I'm sure it's not selective memory and yes it really is baffling; as Carl has said people will think we're moaning but we really haven't seen anything of note for a long while now.

Yeah I remember as a child growing up there would always be thunderstorms during summer, mainly at night too. I remember because I used to be petrafied of them, sods law that when you don't want something you get all of it and when you do want something you get none of it.

I was a little bit to far west today but there is still months left in summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I may be older than most, my mum had a saying back in the 70's ... "3 hot days and a thunderstorm"

This series of storms has lived up to that saying, I can honestly say that today was my first storm day of 2012. Torrential rain and 7 CG's and accompanying thunder.

By the way people, don't think all of us in the South/East have had it all our way, these things are a lottery pure and simple wink.png

Posted

has anyone got the link to meto past lightning data I cannot find it on the meto site. thanks.

Posted

By the way people, don't think all of us in the South/East have had it all our way, these things are a lottery pure and simple wink.png

exactly this. I'm in huntingdon in Cambs, and all I got was light rain. I could heavy rain on the horizon, but no storms.

I would say such and such area gets ALL the storms, but everyone says that acute.gif

Edited by simonbiggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

well with little shear these stoms were never expected to last, better luck next time. cray.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

has anyone got the link to meto past lightning data I cannot find it on the meto site. thanks.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/?tab=map

(I assume you mean this one? It displays lightning for past couple of hours - just click 'lightning' on the menu to the right)

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Tell me about it. I'm starting to hate SE of the UK :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I may be older than most, my mum had a saying back in the 70's ... "3 hot days and a thunderstorm"

This series of storms has lived up to that saying, I can honestly say that today was my first storm day of 2012. Torrential rain and 7 CG's and accompanying thunder.

Yes but the point is that although the storms have traditionally been scattered, over the last couple of years they've been scattered across the east and not the west. When we are saying that the east is getting the storms, we mean that you could take a ruler to the country and draw a line down the middle with the eastern side having the storms and the west being dry. We haven't even 'dodged' the storms, they haven't even developed in the first place!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

More chance of winning the Euro Lottery than getting a storm this side of the UK I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Just noticed that pic of Rochester! I live just up the road from there in higham! Lets hope the house isn't now in the Thames. :D

Temps cooled off now in canary wharf, getting that "damp" smell in the air, might be a wet ride home.

Posted

http://www.metoffice...ations/?tab=map

(I assume you mean this one? It displays lightning for past couple of hours - just click 'lightning' on the menu to the right)

Thanks but unfortunatley this is not the one. There was/is data that showed lightning by month from all the way back to the 90s prehaps earlier.

Humid and sunny here not a wiff of a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The last storm Ican remember here that was a proper mmore than 3 strikes a minute storm was on may 12th 2008 although I didn't really get to see that as I was on a train. If not that then July 17th 2007, then june 28th 2005, and before that the great spanish ploom storm of august 10th 2003. TBH, we get more thunder in the winter than we get in the summer around here. As for imports, the last one of those was on july 4th 2002! All I can hope, is that one day we will get batterd by storms, the like of which have never been seen before! Parts of London have seen 11 storms this year, i'd have to add up the last 5 years storm totals to get to that.

2007 =3

2008 =3

2009 =1

2010 =3

2011 =1

2012 =0!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Yes but the point is that although the storms have traditionally been scattered, over the last couple of years they've been scattered across the east and not the west. When we are saying that the east is getting the storms, we mean that you could take a ruler to the country and draw a line down the middle with the eastern side having the storms and the west being dry. We haven't even 'dodged' the storms, they haven't even developed in the first place!

Absolutely agree - I'm almost as far to the east as you can get and it's been a lean old few years for storms. I would say that (parts of) Essex seems to do well at the moment, occasionally S Suffolk but N Suffolk and Norfolk? Gah!!

Posted

Robbie Garratt gave a pretty decent response to my question earlier today re: why it is that storms these days are now so prevalent in the East, whilst the West gets practically nothing. Whilst pondering this, my thoughts turned to a related question, why is it that Spanish Plumes these days track north easterly instead of north, tending to impact the South East and the Low Countries instead of the bulk of the UK like they often did in years gone by?...and why is it, that nowadays, storms tend to die as they cross the English Channel? What has caused these changes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Thanks but unfortunatley this is not the one. There was/is data that showed lightning by month from all the way back to the 90s prehaps earlier.

Humid and sunny here not a wiff of a storm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/

Select 'lightning strikes', the month & year that you want, then the map type is 'actual' :)

Posted

thanks Hartle! really appreciate it

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

If those of us west of Birmingham sound like right moaning barstewards...we've got good reason. When the same scenario plays out time after time, and we get the crap end of the stick, it sort of grinds us down.

Not having a pop at you Easterners for your continual hogging, after all, its not as if you're responsible for it. BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD MOTHER NATURE.....GIVE US WESTERNERS A TURN!!!!!!!!..........ARRRGHHHHHH!!!!

Ahem.....Rant Over.

Stop whining fool.gif how about I send a couple of quid up to her. :D

Posted

2001_7_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif

Best month ever for storms here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Robbie Garratt gave a pretty decent response to my question earlier today re: why it is that storms these days are now so prevalent in the East, whilst the West gets practically nothing. Whilst pondering this, my thoughts turned to a related question, why is it that Spanish Plumes these days track north easterly instead of north, tending to impact the South East and the Low Countries instead of the bulk of the UK like they often did in years gone by?...and why is it, that nowadays, storms tend to die as they cross the English Channel? What has caused these changes?

I agree. I seriously think someone with the relevant knowledge etc should look into this. Something has evidently changed including this sudden prevalence of Northern Blocking in Summer which shows signs of happening again this month. All other countries seem to be benefiting with warmer, more thundery weather except Britain.

Posted

Stop whining fool.gif how about I send a couple of quid up to her. biggrin.png

4 years bud...Got good cause to "whine"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

unbelievable that this hot spell will go out with a whimper, all storms today for the SE, usual here sunny with very little cloud, storms tomorrow look unlikely here