Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

An overnight of 6.5c with dewpoint of -3.8c here. Now sitting at 12.2c with dewpoint of -0.8c and westerly wind. Feels definitely chillier as of late. Would be nice if September predictions for down south migrated to us up here before autumn shows its hand.

Don't want to push the heating thing HC but just as an observation, this is the first year I can honestly say that at least once during each summer month, we have had to use it - like last night!blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Overnight low of just below 2'C here last night, frost on all the cars this morning which is pretty much unheard of in August! Think that could be a record-breaker for Inverness.

Drizzle and 11'C at the moment,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well the excuse here is that it takes such a lot of coal to get the stove going once it goes out, that its easier just to leave it turned to zero and top it up once every 24 hours. And when it does have go off then we use a lot more elect for the immersion - my elect bill is normally about £4 a week.

Edited by mardatha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hmm well there seems to be a bit of a peasant's revolt here at HC HQ with discussions about which wood stock is the driest, how cold it'll get in the back rooms overnight etc. A firm Rhodes Boyson approach might be needed later if I see any kindling being rummaged.

After our bright start it seems to have rained or rained or rained pretty well all day so it looks as though August will be the wettest summer month here as well as the warmest - by the odd mm or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

August the warmest Summer month here. Pretty consistent rainfall with June 99 mms, July 101 mms and August the wettest with a provisional 104 mms.

Today only a little rain here 1/2 mms. I was up in the Inverness / Nairn areas this afternoon and had heavier rain all the way back as far as Perth [though it was dry in the morning]. A pretty cold Summers night last night though.

Posted

So that's just about it for summer 2012 - hardly a classic summer and at times very disapointing but it could have been far, far worse as there were some spells of pretty decent weather. August was definetly the best month of the summer. Last night saw the temperature plummit to 3C which is one of the coldest August nights here in the last 10 year and it's a definite reminder that autumn is just about here and that we have now left high summer and the brighter and warmest times of the year. Today started off chilly but bright and lovely before cloud increased from the west and then the rain and the really grey, autumnal skies arrived.

Posted

August the warmest Summer month here. Pretty consistent rainfall with June 99 mms, July 101 mms and August the wettest with a provisional 104 mms.

Today only a little rain here 1/2 mms. I was up in the Inverness / Nairn areas this afternoon and had heavier rain all the way back as far as Perth [though it was dry in the morning]. A pretty cold Summers night last night though.

For here the same results are 76mm, 82mm, 83mm. Year's total so far 546mm.

And to add to AWT's post: the nights are really drawing in now! But at least dawn is now late enough that if I stick my nose between the curtains when I wake up I have a chance of a pink sunrise over the firth - one of the big pluses of facing south-east...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Chilly start followed by a pishy wet day. I think wet rot beginning to set in.

Aye, same here at fort SS. Wall building (on the home stretch now) cut short by persistent rain from the early afternoon onwards.

Sun appearing for brief spells this morning, but mainly overcast. Dry enough for wall building again, so I'm off to get into the work clothes. Time to get in touch with the earth again.

Posted

16.3c SW wind, misty, drizzly, muck! Welcome to Autumn guys.......(no change there then!)rolleyes.gif

Posted

Dull and drizzly but mild at 16.3c. Begining to break to west and blue sky appearing .Just hoping we get enough dry weather to restart harvest in the next few days as it is nearly all ripe now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looking at ECM for its forseeable future out to 240, strong signal for HP on or around the UK.

Jet meanders to the Iceland - Shetland Corridor then jumps about a bit before dialling in from the NWest.

Some warmer air getting dragged up though, more pleasant than the frost bite of this week..

post-7292-0-61195600-1346490926_thumb.gi

For our winter lovers - the CFS still showing it's hand with a huge signal for severe cold and another Ruskie High for January.. What a beast of a thing to watch on the models, signal for Greenland in the opposite direction.

Will make the winter watching fun as it slays every front that bumps against it, nothing marked on this chart for the UK

(normal).

post-7292-0-98617200-1346491207_thumb.gi

Grey here for starters today, jet up round the top of the UK and down the east coast clagging up everything with Atlantic mush.

Welcome to September !

Posted

Mild and grey here too of course... Late crops still growing, looks like it might be a bumper crop of runners after all (yee haar say the slugs and snails).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Lorenzo, could you simplify that a wee bit for the peasants (me) ?? My husband was just asking if you lot were saying anything about winter. We know its not set in stone though but it gives him a chance to moan early rofl.gif

Posted

It appears as if the eastern US could be cold also?........(presently)

http://www.city-data...-thread-33.html Post by Cambium.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lorenzo, could you simplify that a wee bit for the peasants (me) ?? My husband was just asking if you lot were saying anything about winter. We know its not set in stone though but it gives him a chance to moan early rofl.gif

Not had a good look ahead for Winter yet mardatha, the CFS charts are long range climate forecast systems providing indications more than predictions. You can view the output in chart format on NetWeather Extra or here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php

The Ruskie High looks like this, and created modelling headaches last Winter as every front encountering it was bounced back from where it came.

post-7292-0-24185900-1346504116_thumb.gi

If this signal verified then Eastern Europe in for a similar Big Freeze to last year.

post-7292-0-47542900-1346504334_thumb.jp

As for our winter will keep tracking things and update in a month or 2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Merry Christmas Scotland :)

cfs-2-2778.png?12

Posted

Aye AWT was very nice when the sun cam oot, but just started to rain and some dark clouds oot west. Wind getting stronger as well.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Lovely and sunny now but the prospects were not looking so promising earlier with a dull and grey morning. The model outlook suggests that September could be slightly on the warm side up here with some rainfall at times too.

Posted

Nice day for a walk round Muiravonside. 19C with a warm breeze. Still not got the mud tyres for the lawnmower yet, so may wait a while longer. Not a lot of growth in several weeks.

Edited by Cheggers