Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 27th June 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Carol seemed confident that Northern England and the Midlands would be seeing severe thunderstorms this afternoon with the SE staying mostly dry - does anyone know why this is with the GFS showing the highest risk over the SE? I'm sure some more storms will kick off later, I just hope I'm not too far north!

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I have a gnawing feeling that the cell moving towards Staffordshire will trundle north eastward and end up missing me by about 10 miles. I have everything crossed for further expansion as it moves north east.

Posted

Its been mentioned already the confusion between forecasts/models. One forecast is telling me direct hit here in Bedfordshire and another no where near! Actually both forecasts are BBC forecasts!

Carol K predicting SEVERE t-storms for the North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think that'l miss here to the west by around 5-10 miles. Hopefully some distant lightning though. This isn't the cold front is it? Hopefully just a back burner to a collection of storms.

Carol's a dope but, looked better for N midlands but mainly Stoke northwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The fact that we have a storm kicking out some impressive sferics at 8.30am with back building cells following it on and a cold front isn't progged to clear east of here until 15z - brings me hope we may at least see some 'distant lightning'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sferics are on the radio of corse, see my explanation at the beginning of this thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If Wales/W Mids storm can hold together by the time it reaches the Peak District area then i may pop out and chase it before then heading back east for this afternoons frenzy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There is a second storm now in Wales to the SE of the original multicell, and it appears to be another multicell composed of 2 cells this time.

Posted

Its been mentioned already the confusion between forecasts/models. One forecast is telling me direct hit here in Bedfordshire and another no where near! Actually both forecasts are BBC forecasts!

Carol K predicting SEVERE t-storms for the North.

forecasts are no good now mate, all you can do is keep one eye on the radar and one in the sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For 8:30 in the morning this is great stuff. Imagine what things will be like by lunchtime!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

What a fantastic looking cloud scape here currently..Elevated Ac Cas turrets overhead growing rapidly,streaking out from the multicell to the SW, and dark skies with some nice structure to my SW....whether it strikes here or not (and I think it will within the hour) someone, somewhere near by is in for one hell of a morning wake up call!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Same old murk here I'm sad (but not surprised) to say. Certainly not warming up fast enough for any convective activity and the cloud blanket is too heavy. Same old same old lol....

Posted

Wow. I need a second opinion (I don't trust my own), but is this thing going to pass over my area, or miss narrowly? My brother's hiking in the Peak District right now, he'll be in for a show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Agree with AJ, just walking to work in Shrewsbury and it's looking great! Even got the sun pOcking through now and again. Be pretty unlucky to see nothing from storms just south of here now. Looks like I'm the one who can update places north of here in next hour or two! Excited!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

What a fantastic looking cloud scape here currently..Elevated Ac Cas turrets overhead growing rapidly,streaking out from the multicell to the SW, and dark skies with some nice structure to my SW....whether it strikes here or not (and I think it will within the hour) someone, somewhere near by is in for one hell of a morning wake up call!!

Good luck mate :)

Posted

Imagine what things will be like by lunchtime!!!

Moany, miserable and muggy???!!!! Seriously folks, we have a great day in prospect and it's already starting off really well. Some in here may miss out today, but let's please stay upbeat and smiley. If not today, then our day will come soon!!!! biggrin.png

Come on storms, lets be havin' ya!!!

#onebigstormplease

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Good luck mate :)

Posted

Not to sure if that meaty looking storm, is going to hit Shrewsbury now, please please please direct hit please, seems to be shifting east now, wish i could drive

Posted

Still very active here. Temporarily lost power for second time. Massive claps of thunder and lightening. Some bursts of very heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

...and a new multicell is developing to the SE of the one marching into the west midlands and this one has Birmingham's name written all over it in a couple or hours time.......'El Brumo is coming!!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow. LOTS of convection around this morning!

Posted

first day of 2 and a half weeks off work and looking forward to being glued to window radar today - hope us SE'erners get something !!!!! Just a little storm, please??