Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 27th June 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, strong wind, heavy snow

All starting to kick off on the south west coast now. Looks like some people will be getting an early wake up call, looks very angry on the detectors.

Edited by Hodr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I thought i heard thunder deep rumble not to long ago and now i check radar!!

image_d_uk.png?t=1340851857&n=1340851858767

one strike in the southeast! although it could have been something else unless this is confirmed by another radar, il wait until others update

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Cell over Exeter is throwing out loads of lightning, seems to be intensifying and heading towards Bristol? This is going to be a great day for the majority of us storm lovers me thinks. good.gif

Posted

Well that was a nice little storm, it all seems to have died off/moved away but at one point it seemed there was lightning every second! (probably more like every 2 secs) Mainly sheet lightning but some forks across the sky especially towards the beginning.

Actually as I type this it's started up again!

I spent much of the time trying to film/take pictures. My camera found it near impossible to focus so I will see what came out later and hopefully there's something good enough to upload to Youtube smile.png

Edit: this secondary cell was only able to give out a couple strikes but had a bit more very heavy rain, but the heaviest of the main storm was absolutely torrential. Edit: erm it also seems a bird felt the need to use my rain gauge as a toilet after the main storm and before the 2nd downpour, meaning it was blocked and I had to go out and unblock it, so it all quickly flowed through and recorded a rain rate of 606.4mm/h.. the actual high rain rate was 195.2mm/h.

Blimey there's a way more active storm than ours off SE Ireland!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

In Surrey, the clouds have veered round to what looks like the south/southeast from southwest and the sky is becoming thundery, plenty of cloud with some gaps but the thing that stands out is altocumulus cas and floccus!! rows of it and some tall bubbly thunder heads, not that high but it's a start, and some very dark rows of cloud. all this indicates unstable air and that means possible convective showers that could become storms if things get high! so there is a chance but this could also mean some extreme storms further north but not the se!

Posted

Anyone heard me say extreme storms up till now? not often i say this but today is mega storms!! the risk is high in the north and west, why is it that the southeast has now become a non-imported storm location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Few hours kip done. Coffee at the ready for a long day of radar watching. Can't believe how active things are over Ireland at the moment, some torrential rain, sferics showing also. Back on home turf, looking interesting to the SW, though not that interesting - not as radar full as I expected.

Posted

Not sure if this has been pointed out already or not but check this out! http://www.isleofwig...o.uk/discharge/

Most active days: Rank 1, 57873 Strikes, Date: 28-06-2005.

I hope today is as active if not more, what a coincidence.

Edited by Hodr

Posted

I've managed to stay awake up to now but gonna turn in now I think nothing going to happen here,reports of storms from Exeter and Taunton had me hoping something might show up but it didn't and don't expect anything now,I'll be in the NSC later to have a moan lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Few hours kip done. Coffee at the ready for a long day of radar watching. Can't believe how active things are over Ireland at the moment, some torrential rain, sferics showing also. Back on home turf, looking interesting to the SW, though not that interesting - not as radar full as I expected.

I'm keeping an eye on that over Ireland, my girlfriend has a flight out of Dublin at about 08:00 so I'm hoping there aren't any delays there.

Looking forward to this afternoon so much, got both cameras charged and memory cards cleared ready. I'm trying not to get too excited but I'm anticipating my best UK storm for a good few years. If this all goes wrong I will be very sad tomorrow night lol.

Anyway I don't know what I'm doing still awake at this time, there's no storms anywhere near here, going to bed now or else I'll never go, already feeling hungry for my breakfast. 3 hours and I'll be up again for all the fun and games smile.png

Edit: Just looking at the radar and after flooding problems in NI already yesterday, there's a huge lump of very heavy rain heading towards NI now. Could be an interesting morning rush hour there.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

Okay, so I'm now excited. I might as well stay up now, I planned on going to bed but Battlefield 3 and an interest in how things developed overnight kept me up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Okay, so I'm now excited. I might as well stay up now, I planned on going to bed but Battlefield 3 and an interest in how things developed overnight kept me up.

It was FIFA 12 and F1 2011 that kept me up, and 2 cans of Relentless! I thought about not going to bed but I need some rest so that I'm on the ball later, especially if I need to head out and chase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lol, some hardcore storm nuts in here - i like it. I'm just up after about 5 hours sleep and looking at the radar/lightning detectors it seems something is in the Irish Sea and heading for NW Wales/NW England.

I am glad i didnt decide to head down the south coast as i was planning, i would have been passing out by now from tiredness. All forecasts still pointing to a fun day for some. Looking at the latest charts i would have to say all 4 areas of Yorkshire (oh yes), Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire and North Norfolk looking best placed for later on today but most areas of the uk at risk. Areas more east will have the better chance of more surface heating before the front arrives. I need to decide now where to place myself - anywhere from York to Lincoln currently.

Posted

Ah yes FIFA 12 the game that stole trophies off me after I installed the Euro 2012 add on not happy!Anyway I gave it a while longer and give up now,maybe something later OR NOT this is Bristol after all 1 of the top storm starved city's in the uk,I think I'll go into shock if something happens,good luck all

Posted

It was FIFA 12 and F1 2011 that kept me up, and 2 cans of Relentless! I thought about not going to bed but I need some rest so that I'm on the ball later, especially if I need to head out and chase.

I'm nocturnal anyway so it feels pretty normal. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I like these CAPE values..

ukcapeli.png

Wow, steamy dew points!

Rmgfs158.gif

Lots of activity..

15_6.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

28C now forecast for the SE....probably won't be enough to break this 'stubborn cap' nonsense (lol)

Very active storm in the Irish Sea, mass of v heavy rain into NI.

This could be a painful day for many, including me...best of luck!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tuns of sferics on the radio atm from the Irish sea storm, don't sound to close though. Anyone know how far the edge of it is away and wether I'll get some of it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Very impressive charts, Aaron. Looks like an upgrade on what I last saw. How exciting! I have meetings this morning up until about 1:30pm- they'll have to forgive me if I don't remember what was discussed! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A lot of energy moving northwards through Ireland/Irish Sea, very heavy rain likely to cause flash flooding - no strikes detected on land but it's looking quite tatsy out over the Irish Sea right now as that cluster rumbles away.

post-9615-0-43338900-1340861301_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Harry, we had some lines of cas/floccus at first light! was quite an impressive sight, indication as we know of unstable air, we just need that heat, i think we will see something break out today across the SE.

Storms up North are likely to be MEGA

Posted

London & South East England

Headline:

Cloudy, occasional rain. Becoming brighter but with isolated thunderstorms.

--

Just read this, an upgrade for the SE, i think today is going to be exciting, this just shows what can happen, a new update now says thunderstorms!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Could any of it head my way Liam?

Also sferic activity has decreased in the last 10 minutes from the irish sea storm unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Sferics in S Wales

coming this way.....fingers crossed

Edit; Morning all....

Edited by Arnie Pie