Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yesterday turned out mostly dry and cloudy here as expected, but today has been a different story- plenty of sunny intervals throughout the day. I see that some other parts of the country still managed to be cloudy though!

Posted

It's been a delightful sunny and breezy drying day and a few fields round about have been baled up and wrapped for silage.

When the grass is cleared patches that were too wet are evident with ruts and surface mud in places not seen wet this time of year before.

Hopefully the Wednesday event will be downgraded a bit nearer time and lots more will be done in a few days time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Another mostly sunny day, with temperatures maxing out near 19C.

Lovely. 2 in a row! :):D

Posted

Lovely weekend Weather in Leeds felt nice to feel and see the sun inbetween the cloud after what we have had of late. Lets hope we can pick some real Summer heat up after this weeks potential wet spell.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

Here comes the rain again...

7mm in an hour of what looked like heavy drizzle at Chorlton. That station was offline this morning when we got another 3mm that barely registered on the radar, but shows up at Salford.

Is this the start of the frontal wave? Another 24 hours of this and we'll be swimming.

Posted

just had a real downpour, rain rate hit 68.4mm/hr, 15mm in last hour and counting !

eta 28.8mm total overnight rain

post-2911-0-83446600-1342571293_thumb.pn

Edited by Verglas

Posted

Looks another potential wet spell for NW England in particular on Wednesday. The UKMO 12z 60hr and 72hr precipt charts look really wet.

Thankfully it never happened.

Yet again more storms develop and yet again this area got nothing. I don't think we are going to see any thunder for the foreseeable future with high pressure in more control.

Posted

I thought we'd got away with very little this time yesterday as sun got out, but a heavy shower near midday and more overnight has given about 18mm so quite significant and rather annoying when a couple of bright breezy days previously had dried things a little.

Posted

Particularly nasty downpour hit Manchester area as I was driving home from work approx 3:45 - The tunnel bridge under mancunnian way had standing water and a nasty accident on Alan Touring way just past M'cr city stadium. Someone was lying on the middle section island with paramedics attending. Must have been weather related the driving conditions were attrocious.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The upcoming 'settled' spell looks like it will be ok for some but frustrating for others.

It would seem north of Blackpool, some cloudy, perhaps drizzly weather is likely on and off through next week

Rather cloudy in most places but perhaps a few breaks and sunshine down towards Cheshire.. don't expect very high temperatures; but better than recent; perhaps around 19-21C across the region...should feel pleasant enough without being too hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

It amazes me that people in the BI get 'annoyed' by rain rofl.gif

What the hell do you expect?! Why do people book package holidays to warmer and sunnier climes where the weather is pretty much nailed on to be good between June and September??!!

Goodness me spiteful.gif

Edited by JP1972

Posted

It amazes me that people in the BI get 'annoyed' by rain rofl.gif

What the hell do you expect?! Why do people book package holidays to warmer and sunnier climes where the weather is pretty much nailed on to be good between June and September??!!

Goodness me spiteful.gif

April and June were both the wettest on record in England & Wales (since at least 1766), and July is shaping up to be exceptionally wet too.

There is such a thing as "too much rain", even in this country...

Posted

It causes real practical problems apart from flooding and requiring you assume you will get wet if you go out unprepared.

Here for example cows were forced to go out due to no more feed available when it was far too wet at the start of May.

May was just about OK but June and the start of July it has just got worse and worse so far with damage to soil structure that will take months if not years to put right.

Many farms have been unable to cut any fodder for next winter at all yet, and what is still out on the waterlogged fields will be quite poor quality if it can be got at all during this upcoming better spell.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not really bothered by the rain, it's the excessive cloud cover that has been the main downer for me this summer, as well as numerous persistently dull wet days and numerous other days that were mostly dry and cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle.

I'm certainly hoping for the forthcoming quieter spell of weather to produce more in the way of sunshine- it was a real disappointment in late August 2008 for example when the weather settled down but became even cloudier than it had been earlier in the month, even in East Anglia which is normally quite well sheltered from moist tropical maritime airmasses. Late-August 2008 was an extreme case though and I don't think it will generally be as cloudy as that.

I missed out on the big North East thunderstorms on 28/6/2012 but on Wednesday came down to Norwich for a graduation event and picked up a much briefer, but comparably intense, thunderstorm with an impressive gust front and I managed to get some lightning captures, so for me the "luck" does seem to even itself out over time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well Ian, the Met-office are suggesting this upcoming spell of weather will be a cloudy one, with perhaps rain at times. Certainly wasn't expecting that on first thoughts, but hardy surprising perhaps.

The temperatures look a little disappointing towards the coast here this week too, Met office going for a top temperatures here of 18-19C all week (I imagine with sea breezes itll feel rather cool also). Obviously it'll be a little warmer inland.

Posted

I think the details are firming up for parts of Northern England now.

In general the upcoming spell will features at first; some sunshine with mild-warm temperatures in many parts. After a few days, temperatures will moderate a little leading to a fairly mild, and humid week. It'll be great for the gardens, that's for sure, but will it be good for activities, I suspect no.

Posted

The upcoming spell is on a bit of a knife-edge for Northern England at the moment. The worst case scenario is that we're right on the boundary between the warmer and cooler air and have a front straggled across us from Tuesday to Thursday. At the moment the line looks to be from Aberystwyth to Bridlington with weather being predominently warm but cloudy 0-50 miles below that and warm and sunny further south. North of that line looks to be warm, wet and humid with cooler, brighter showery weather in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

It'll be difficult to pin down though, the positioning will change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

No heatwave for northern England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Bloody brilliant.

A front is going to plague us, leaving us cloudy and the south sunny.

Story of each and every summer really, and its DAMN annoying!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Max temps of 21-23c for your area and id take that in a heart beat, max temps of 14-17c for my area.

Posted

I'm not entirely sure we will get 21-23C down here though.. perhaps inland yes, but around the coast, 18-19C looks more likely.

I recall a few years ago we had a shortlived, similar setup, and the 564 dam was north of here, yet with the cloud, and the little bits of drizzle, it felt cool.. not like you would associate with an airmass of that height. I expect the same this time around, humid but pretty cool feeling, if the sun does not make an appearance.

Today it feel quite cool in the breeze, certainly not a t-shirt day here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Have a feeling that front is being modelled too far south, the trend seems to be an increasingly hot and sunny one, my area now looks like being 30C, unlike the early 20's showing yesterday