Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Still 18.3C at 1:35am, rather breezy. Just opened the door and there's a ton of flies on the door.. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Currently 17C, was 16.1C not long ago.. hot day today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Fantastic day in Penrith - 23C already under unbroken sunshine. It looks gloomy over the Pennines and Lake District though. Yesterday afternoon the car thermometer rose from 17C to 22C as we drove from Keswick to Penrith, and into the sunshine.

I think we must be getting some sort of foehn effect from the Lakeland fells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today's conditions have re-affirmed my already well know opinion of hot sunny weather. My manual work providing constant liquid refreshment for hundreds of flies whose buzzing is almost drowned out by the even louder buzz of constantly circling light aircraft taking aerial photographs, later to be sold to gullible householders at about £30 a shot.

Begone this Eldritch heat and take your flies sweat and aircraft with you!

Posted

Currently 17C, was 16.1C not long ago.. hot day today?

Sounds grim up North!

Not a cloud in the sky, or a breath of wind here.

27.6c !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Sounds grim up North!

Not a cloud in the sky, or a breath of wind here.

27.6c !

look at what time he posted it lol

Posted

Today's conditions have re-affirmed my already well know opinion of hot sunny weather. My manual work providing constant liquid refreshment for hundreds of flies whose buzzing is almost drowned out by the even louder buzz of constantly circling light aircraft taking aerial photographs, later to be sold to gullible householders at about £30 a shot.

Begone this Eldritch heat and take your flies sweat and aircraft with you!

Quite simple, move to this part of the NW. You may get bored to death with the constant greyness, but at least you won't be sweating in the sun, and any aircraft that choose to set off will have to be high enough to make it over said greyness. If anyone tried to take a photo of my house today from anything over 1000 feet all i'd see would be fog !!

As you can probably gather I am really enjoying the weather at the moment.

Posted

Apparently Garforth to the east of here reached 29C - looks dubious to me because no other station in Leeds has come anywhere near that.

look at what time he posted it lol

Yes that post was odd.. it's very humid today and feels hot.

Posted

Still not beat 28th May here, 24.3C this afternoon and will be cooler tomorrow.

Most of the hay baled today in record time due to being more mature than usual, but the wind + sun especially yesterday was excellent drying conditions.

Posted

Oh dear we are drawing the short straw it seems.. no sunshine since Saturday afternoon, lots of drizzly rain yesterday and today with cloud down to 100m so very poor visibility and temperatures no higher than 17 degrees.

The next couple of days look cloudy affairs, albeit drier tomorrow, more rain on Thursday, and temps perhaps getting up to 20 degrees, before it cools off again but we should see some sunshine by Friday. Spare a thought for us Cumbrians...

Posted

Today was a pet peeve of mine - the temperature itself wasn't a problem but the high humidity and dew points made me feel constantly warm.

Edited by Aaron

Oh dear we are drawing the short straw it seems.. no sunshine since Saturday afternoon, lots of drizzly rain yesterday and today with cloud down to 100m so very poor visibility and temperatures no higher than 17 degrees.

The next couple of days look cloudy affairs, albeit drier tomorrow, more rain on Thursday, and temps perhaps getting up to 20 degrees, before it cools off again but we should see some sunshine by Friday. Spare a thought for us Cumbrians...

Whlist not as bad as Cumbria over the last few days, here its been cloudy and windy with a brief sunny spell on Monday. Still awaiting first 20C of the summer. With cool temps ahead in low/mid teens into the weekend, August will have to provide the warm sunny weather so lacking since the May blip.

Today, light rain, cloudy, temp 13.4C

Edited by Teesdale

Posted

The past two days here have not been as bad as original forecasts were showing last week. Today is really the first day with a 100% cloudbase, and it may stay like that for most of the day. Mon & Tues were gloriously warm with long sunny spells.

Posted

Groundhog day here today ..,.. cloudy with drizzle again, the only difference to yesterday is there a bit of mist thrown in for good measure, visibility quite poor in a few spots this morning.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

And spare a thought for us Bowland hill dwellers next door. Trying to find a dry enough spell to even get on the meadows, let alone catch a crop of grass.

Got to love this fine warm drizzle with midges embedded. First year I've ever invested in a midge head net.

Posted

Spare a thought for us Cumbrians...

I do, but you nearly always get a gorgeous spell in late spring while we are sat under sea fog for days on end at about 7C!

Frustrating piddly bit of drizzle here overnight and only very slowly drying off.

Most farms got a lot of hay and silage bales done yesterday but there's several fields cut but just need one more good day to make hay, and quite a few more still not cut yet.

It doesn't look too bad in forecast well into August I thought, so no doubt there will be opportunities to snatch some more.

And spare a thought for us Bowland hill dwellers next door. Trying to find a dry enough spell to even get on the meadows, let alone catch a crop of grass.

Got to love this fine warm drizzle with midges embedded. First year I've ever invested in a midge head net.

Strange, near complete lack of midges here this summer. Cool temps and to much wind.

Cloudy, odd patches drizzle. Temp 14.9C

Edited by Teesdale

Posted

Well how annoying patchy rain since about 4pm, and it's a tiny patch just over us!

Also, it's 13.2C is ridiculous when some are probably on 30C still.

Posted

Strange, near complete lack of midges here this summer. Cool temps and to much wind.

Cloudy, odd patches drizzle. Temp 14.9C

Some big temp differences yesterday and today, reached 25C yesterday and 20.4C today. Still 17C at the moment.

Posted

For todays weather read as Tuesday and yesterday. Damp, cloudy with drizzle.

It's not much better here again, however Friday and Saturday sound better.

Posted

Looks like my run of half-decent summer days is ending today as a clump of rain/drizzle sneaks

in from the south-west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A lovely start to the day here with some high cloud around which is being burnt off by the sun. Clouds still travelling NE'wards, so we're becoming clearer from the SW. Think a good sunny day is on the cards, proving forecasts wrong.