Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 4th August 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A strange day here in Sandhutton, frequent thunder between 12 and 4pm despite no rain! A direct hit is approaching now, so will be interesting to see if we get any heavy rain or hail.

Remarkable to see that my old home region of South Tyneside has been hit by two monstrous thunderstorms shortly after I left (28th June and now today) although of course I picked up the big one over Norwich on 18th July and have had a lot of thunder both yesterday and today.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Big let down today here in Bristol. May catch something on the way to London tomorrow but after that it's Sweden for 2 weeks. Ttfn all and good luck for the next few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Very disappointed; the showers in the sw seem to move towards cornwall rather than our way. Is it just me?

Yep sort of - as the Low is moving through, the showers are starting to be pushed back E/SE rather then move NE now due to the change in wind direction.

I've done a kiddy drawing of the movement i'm seeing on radar currently. See attached.

Ties in quite nicely with the GFS wind speed/direction chart for 1800hrs.

PS - sorry its a bit misleading the drawing I've done - the smaller blue arrows are showing direction of convergence line not the showers along it. Showers behind the line are starting to move in that direction though.

post-15172-0-68646200-1344183316_thumb.j

post-15172-0-03871200-1344183328_thumb.p

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Very disappointed; the showers in the sw seem to move towards cornwall rather than our way. Is it just me?

That's because of the clockwise flow around the LOW pressure and they're also decaying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's because of the clockwise flow around the LOW pressure and they're also decaying.

Don't winds go anticlockwise around LPs, Andy?

Posted

Rumble of thunder here out a cloud ladened sky, goes to show how unstable the converge is atm with cell after cell going up all around since early this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Another storm seems to be coming in here. Or at least a thundery shower anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

I always thought lows rotated "anti clockwise" !

Posted

Flooding in prestwich and whitefield in n Manchester. I'm in work ATM so can't see what it is like outside! All I know is it's raining heavily and thundering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

storm near wisbech looks great lovely structure, looks severe.

Edited by Sprites

Posted

All gone quiet here now but what a day across the UK.

More funnels than a petrol-pouring convention!

Posted

Well the wigan storm shield has some power it stood its ground . nothing can break it just a few faint rumbles and thats yer lot

But.....I was having non of it , drove away from here, about 6 miles east where I saw a few vivid cg's spitting out from the storm and a few booms , the storm went towards manchester, it must have know it would be death for it at wigan

nice lightning in the dark clouds,

Posted

Bit of rain falling here now, from what I can see I am under an anvil which is occasionally producing very loud booming thunders every few minutes between the distant rumbles I can hear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Flooding in prestwich and whitefield in n Manchester. I'm in work ATM so can't see what it is like outside! All I know is it's raining heavily and thundering.

i was watching this from Rochdale, ace view across the fields and stuff, some nice CG's then the rain came! look like it was slightly heavy! hope everyone are ok!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow, WREXHAM now has had more storms than here so far this year.

This is pathetic. Nothing here in Sunny Stourbridge. Most overhyped weekend here whilst about 60% of the country has seen something. Boring as hell here. May we have the hotter temperatures next week in exchange. :p

Posted

Had a developing shower early afternoon then a fizzling out shower later.

At the same time 2 rumbles of thunder to the north.

The last one to the SE but then a more lively developing CB which quickly turned thundery at the top of the cloud merged with another so there was 3 with one CG and sheet and no rain falling with the CG to the east,but the rain quickly followed,around 22 rumbles today not bad,not as frequent thunder to yesterday very close west.

Lots of TCU now developing to the south.

Bright sunshine now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Seems that the thunderstorm fizzled as it came overhead (though not before giving frequent loud rumbles and some flashes), so just moderate rain at the moment, but the radar shows that it isn't over yet with more cells to the south of this one.

Posted

Very large Right moving possible Supercell to the South West of Norwich, anyone in this area chasing ?? Storm looks very severe for Uk Standards.