Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Time to 'man/woman' up for some of ya -its only a bit warm! ;)

Been a lovely evening here - daytime was pretty cloudy but come 6pm the sky turned really clear which looked lovely from our evening bbq. Was fantastic to be able to sit out and enjoy the evening in shorts with a beer on.

Upon sunset the insects have arrived - small price to pay for such a lovely relaxing evening and even now I've still got the window open enjoying a nice fragrant breeze drifting in. Perfection!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I agree Botty. God help some people if another 1976 were to come along. Sitting outside chilling in the warm evening breeze its confusing me to think that there so many whiners about at the moment.

I am also pleased for the tourist industry. This warm August must have come as a relief for our coastal seaside resorts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
God help some people if another 1976 were to come along.

I'd have to get a job in a cold storecold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I'm still outside on the lounger with my beer:)

I find anything above 25 deg too hot but am happy to endure 30 deg in order to get a warm evening like this.

My lawn and furniture covers are all saturated, dunno what the dew point is but must be pretty high

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

What is wrong with people, lovely warm day and evening, nothing was unbearable in my book. Much rather have a warm day than an expensive cold day costing a bomb to heat my house and having to wash more clothes as have more layers, having dry skin. You lot are mad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

This may sound a bit blunt but who care's!

I really don't see why people care so much about what other people like/dislike. If you like hot weather, then brilliant, go nuts, but why care so much if someone else doesn't like hot weather. Same with cold, if you love cold, fantastic, have a ball, but why care so much if someone else doesn't like cold weather.

It's the human race, we all like different things, are interested in different things, and feel most comfortable in different environments.

Some people like cold Some don't

Some people like hot Some don't

Some people like rain Some don't

Some people like snow Some don't

Some people like marmite Some don't

Some people like the Tweenies Some don't

Some people like Chelsea Some don't

Some people like David Cameron A lot don't

Seriously, who cares who likes what. Just get out there and enjoy the weather that you like, and looks forward to the weather that you like if it isn't happening for you right now. Leave other people to enjoy what weather they like.

We are lucky to have a very varied climate in the UK, with cold, hot, wet, dry all possible withing the year. I love all of the UK weather, learning about each different sypnotic situation and the different climatic effects it has on the variuos areas of the UK.

Peace and love to you all! good.gifblum.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

This may sound a bit blunt but who care's!

I really don't see why people care so much about what other people like/dislike. If you like hot weather, then brilliant, go nuts, but why care so much if someone else doesn't like hot weather. Same with cold, if you love cold, fantastic, have a ball, but why care so much if someone else doesn't like cold weather.

It's the human race, we all like different things, are interested in different things, and feel most comfortable in different environments.

Some people like cold Some don't

Some people like hot Some don't

Some people like rain Some don't

Some people like snow Some don't

Some people like marmite Some don't

Some people like the Tweenies Some don't

Some people like Chelsea Some don't

Some people like David Cameron A lot don't

Seriously, who cares who likes what. Just get out there and enjoy the weather that you like, and looks forward to the weather that you like if it isn't happening for you right now. Leave other people to enjoy what weather they like.

We are lucky to have a very varied climate in the UK, with cold, hot, wet, dry all possible withing the year. I love all of the UK weather, learning about each different sypnotic situation and the different climatic effects it has on the variuos areas of the UK.

Peace and love to you all! good.gifblum.gifdrinks.gif

Bit political isn't it, got to be better than that idiot milliband who thinks we have a bottomless pit of money and opposes anything the coalition put forwards, as I think I've expressed before - I'm not a fan of labour - they brought us fake jobs, spent all our money and brought millions of people to an already crowded island. Enough said lol.

Being stuck outdoors in that heat would be intolerable, people that live in hot climates would be in the shade

But not the plucky old Brits! rofl.gif

They do have festivals abroad you know!

It reached 35c this year at Valencia while the nearby Benicassim was taking place, and over 32c for Rock in Rio in Madrid.

The problem with any warm weather here is that it is so infrequent that there is no time to acclimatise, not the mistaken belief that it is 'always more humid here' - it's not. I think some people need to get a grip!

Millions of people holiday abroad each year, actively seeking the warmth that is so rare in the capricious whims of our climate and cope just fine. Even in the tropics, sure it's warm to start with but after a few days one can become accustomed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I agree Botty. God help some people if another 1976 were to come along. Sitting outside chilling in the warm evening breeze its confusing me to think that there so many whiners about at the moment.

I am also pleased for the tourist industry. This warm August must have come as a relief for our coastal seaside resorts.

You and Bottes would probably go extinct if a 1963 winter came along with all the moaning you do about the cold and the dark - man up you pansies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

They do have festivals abroad you know!

It reached 35c this year at Valencia while the nearby Benicassim was taking place, and over 32c for Rock in Rio in Madrid.

The problem with any warm weather here is that it is so infrequent that there is no time to acclimatise, not the mistaken belief that it is 'always more humid here' - it's not. I think some people need to get a grip!

Millions of people holiday abroad each year, actively seeking the warmth that is so rare in the capricious whims of our climate and cope just fine. Even in the tropics, sure it's warm to start with but after a few days one can become accustomed.

Yeah as mentioned before, big difference between lounging on a deck chair by the pool and actually living in such conditions on a daily basis.. going to work in a suit in Singapore would probably result in your death.. lol

Yeah as mentioned before, big difference between lounging on a deck chair by the pool and actually living in such conditions on a daily basis.. going to work in a suit in Singapore would probably result in your death.. lol

Funny you should say that, I have been to Singapore, and my brother lives there smile.png

Posted

God help some people if another 1976 were to come along.

I was there - aged 11! I have fond memories of that summer and what it is famous for. My intolerance of heat started to emerge as a late teen and has steadily gotten worse from there on-in. The last coupla days have been horrendous but I take comfort from knowing it ain't going to last and it's getting late in the season.

Posted

Funny you should say that, I have been to Singapore, and my brother lives there smile.png

the air conditioning is pretty fierce in any building, taxi, underground, some of the newer buses and all the shops and offices that visitirs use anyway. How the locals work in the humidity I do not know. You just get used to being ringing wet within minutes of being outside, showering and changing clothes 2 or 3 times a day. Its a wonderful place but I could not tolerate the humidity for more than a few days. The intense thunderstorms are something to experience though.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

well here i am ready for the hot one (apparently may reach 32-34c) mobile air con is ready... along with the cream soda's and ice cream, i wont sit outside as black fly at mo is a real problem around here..suppose this may be the only real hot day we may get now as the bank holiday is approaching and usually goes downhill when they are around..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Grey, cool and misty 17.5C this morning. Hope this can burn off before midday this time to at least allow this to be classed as a hot spell.

Posted

First night with the air-conditioning on here in Eastbourne for 2 years.

Posted

It has been nasty for me. Was in the Lakes last week, one day sunshine / next rain, was lovely. Came back to London yesterday nursing a tummy bug and nothing in my system, I think I almost died on the slow train to Twickenham and boy did it stay hot over night - foxes were going crazy all night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You and Bottes would probably go extinct if a 1963 winter came along with all the moaning you do about the cold and the dark - man up you pansies!

Nah - I can cope with cold as well as heat its just that warm is easier, more fun, more free and costs me a lot lot less.

Darkness is more annoying when it intrudes into the middle of the afternoon but that is from a safety concern more than anything. Cycling in a dark rush hour is not fun at all. Also the missus moved jobs this summer and now has to walk across less than desirable areas on her commute. It's fine at the moment but come late October she'll either have a considerably longer walk (along busier/'safer' streets), have to pay & use the tram or take a risk of god knows what happening every day. Wish we could stay on BST.

Posted

Yes, we mustn't go against mass opinion, eh! You've picked the best part of the day as your reference point there, conveniently missing the stifling heat of mid-afternoon and sticky humidity of the night when indoors

Time to post a Daily Express pick of a packed beach and headline of "HOTTER THAN MORROCCO!"

22'c here apparently at the moment but it feels a lot warmer than that

Edited by nicklon1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not too bad today in the sunshine. Looks like it's back to July 2010 ricidulousness tomorrow though.

Warm and sunny start here, but I doubt it will last..

Posted

he mistaken belief that it is 'always more humid here' - it's not. I think some people need to get a grip!

Yes, the dewpoints in Heathrow yesterday were 18C at their highest, so not very tropical conditions at all. I posted a few days ago an ob of Abu Dhabi with 38C and dewpoints of 26C at the same time. A different experience for certain. And the air conditioning argument also becomes tedious - it's a middle class thing. The poor people in the UAE and Singapore don't get that luxury and have to work outside (eg on construction sites) regardless.

Apparently in UAE at 50C they can stop work. But that almost never happens, more likely to get 38/26 every day for months which is simply hideous for working outside, or doing anything really.

Posted

the air conditioning is pretty fierce in any building, taxi, underground, some of the newer buses and all the shops and offices that visitors use anyway. How the locals work in the humidity I do not know. You just get used to being ringing wet within minutes of being outside, showering and changing clothes 2 or 3 times a day. Its a wonderful place but I could not tolerate the humidity for more than a few days. The intense thunderstorms are something to experience though.

I worked there for a couple of months some years ago - and had to wear a suit much of the time. I actually got used to it surprisingly quickly - but did, of course, have the advantage of air-conditioning whenever I was indoors. Did you see the famous 'no durian fruit' signs on the underground there? If you've ever smelt one at close range you'll know why!

post-5431-0-85818500-1345371405_thumb.jp

Yes, the dewpoints in Heathrow yesterday were 18C at their highest, so not very tropical conditions at all. I posted a few days ago an ob of Abu Dhabi with 38C and dewpoints of 26C at the same time. A different experience for certain. And the air conditioning argument also becomes tedious - it's a middle class thing. The poor people in the UAE and Singapore don't get that luxury and have to work outside (eg on construction sites) regardless.

Apparently in UAE at 50C they can stop work. But that almost never happens, more likely to get 38/26 every day for months which is simply hideous for working outside, or doing anything really.

An example from Dhahran in Saudi Arabia on 2nd of August, 41c with 31c dewpoint.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=40416〈=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2012&mes=08&day=03&hora=06

There was quite a heat wave in this area from July into August.

From Abadan, Iran at the north end of the Persian gulf, not as humid but eight days straight of temperatures reaching 50c

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=40831&ano=2012&mes=8&day=19&hora=6&min=0&ndays=30

And from Sulaibiya in Kuwait a possible new Asian temperature record of 53.6c followed by a night minimum of 37.8c!

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=40587&ano=2012&mes=8&day=19&hora=6&min=0&ndays=30

Nevermind going to work in suits, how the troops in nearby Basra coped in uniform and body armour with weapons and backpack I don't know, but maybe the concern of being shot or blown up took the edge off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The poor people in the UAE and Singapore don't get that luxury and have to work outside (eg on construction sites) regardless.

That is true, we have friends out in Dubai and have visited them and they said that 50C happens, but the forecasters will go as far as saying the max will be 49.5C so that the workers still have to go out anyway. So it does, and "doesn't". Must be horrible for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A bit disappointed with how today has turned out. Only got a max of 22.4c and there wasn't an awful lot of sunshine either. Maybe tomorrow will deliver more sunshine and something warmer