Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 16th August 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well done you Crewe, did you see my earlier post - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74149-uk-convective-general-discussion-forecasts-16th-august-2012/page__st__600#entry2356094

Now, if only that band due 50 miles West of me can sustain itself for the next couple of hours.

Yeah....had a proper flash and a deep rumble a while back.....given how bad it's been for storms round here this year, I'll happily take that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That is a nice radar return over Somerset. A nice signature of precip in a supercell

Adi, what defines it as a supercell? Just asking. good.gif On radar, I must say it looks a beast, especially that trailing edge towards its South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Been caught in the cell that's now over Stoke and a distant rumble from it about 45 mins ago.

Now under another torrential downpour but sadly now sferics with this one... Really heavy rain!

Edited by SalopWatcher

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I can see the blackness that is to the NW of Yeovil from my landing window. Here, the sun is shining atm, but suspect that's about to change as it would appear that the tail of the line of rain is going to pass over us shortly.

Posted

Looks like that was my lot for the day! Was so close to a good thunderstorm there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

My faith of Bristol and North Somerset's thundery weather is being restored this month after that. I counted 16 rumbles from what has moved north and east of here now. Very still and damp now. I wonder if anything will follow on behind.

Looks like there could be. Another cell forming over Exmoor again heading in the same direction!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Serious sferics now from the cell over Stoke and its heading this way. Will probably die thoughsad.png

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Adi, what defines it as a supercell? Just asking. good.gif On radar, I must say it looks a beast, especially that trailing edge towards its South.

A slight trough has formed near bath the northern part is turned into a a slight warm front and the southern part is still cold hopefully the cold will start to catch the warm.

And a secondary trough is forming near yeovil

Posted

Serious sferics now from the cell over Stoke and its heading this way. Will probably die though :(

Yeah could hear frequent distant rumbles from a pitch black sky heading up east of here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

radar shows a pretty active thunderstorm about 10-15 miles to my NW, have been outside but sky looks fairly clear in that direction...is the radar out of synch or something?.....confused.com!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yeah....had a proper flash and a deep rumble a while back.....given how bad it's been for storms round here this year, I'll happily take that

Indeed. I have actually edited that link to poiunt to the correct post now as well, some good storms out there again it seems.

Particularly potent storms around right now are:

Southwest of Stoke (Market Drayton), North of Derby (East of Ripley), North of Bradford (especially Harrogate area), parts of the Yorkshire moors to name but some. drinks.gifsearch.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Loud Rumble again... looking at the radar we are in a good position right now as cells are firing up rapidly to the south west and coming over the town.... just need one of these to develop before it reaches here not when its crossed over and headed towards stoke...

Excellent the sorm to the south west now has one sferic associated to it... come on my beauty!!

Edited by SalopWatcher

Posted

I can see the blackness that is to the NW of Yeovil from my landing window. Here, the sun is shining atm, but suspect that's about to change as it would appear that the tail of the line of rain is going to pass over us shortly.

Lyn-M, Dorset is a big county, could you kindly update your profile to show Yeovil or whatever. blum.gif

radar shows a pretty active thunderstorm about 10-15 miles to my NW, have been outside but sky looks fairly clear in that direction...is the radar out of synch or something?.....confused.com!

AJ Stormshield in action again. rofl.gif Don't worry I'm watching that mass out to my West lose it's intensity as it trundles along the M4.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Particularly potent storms around right now are:

Southwest of Stoke (Market Drayton), North of Derby (East of Ripley), North of Bradford (especially Harrogate area), parts of the Yorkshire moors to name but some. drinks.gifsearch.gif

I have just been in the Ripley one. No sferics observed but serious rainfall for about 15 minutes has flooded the minor road I am on.

Bright sunshine now though.

Posted

Loud Rumble again... looking at the radar we are in a good position right now as cells are firing up rapidly to the south west and coming over the town.... just need one of these to develop before it reaches here not when its crossed over and headed towards stoke...

Too much of a westerly element to the wind for here atm. All the action is now sliding to the south of here. Not that I'm complaining, had my rumble and downpour for the day!

Posted

A slight trough has formed near bath the northern part is turned into a a slight warm front and the southern part is still cold hopefully the cold will start to catch the warm.

And a secondary trough is forming near yeovil

How do you know such things, is it from satellite images etc. Is there a way of finding this out from current charts? Good knowledge there, Adi. good.gif

Posted

Had a rumble here about 10 minutes ago. Very little rain though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The sky has turned black to my South and the wind has picked up ..some intense rain on the way by the look of it !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Lyn-M, Dorset is a big county, could you kindly update your profile to show Yeovil or whatever. blum.gif

AJ Stormshield in action again. rofl.gif Don't worry I'm watching that mass out to my West lose it's intensity as it trundles along the M4.

now some of the cloud in the foreground cloud has shifted, I can see it now, nice updrafts along it's southern flank...something developing overhead now, big drops of rain,

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

How do you know such things, is it from satellite images etc. Is there a way of finding this out from current charts? Good knowledge there, Adi. good.gif

Just look at the precip on the radar, radar was showing a nice v being formed on that line of precid that is a small trough, The curve north of the v becomes a warm front and the curve south of the v stays a cold front, It is that cold front and the warm front catching up that creates the hook echo and the V is the clear slot. This one filled itself in and did not occlude but it tried.

The one further south near Yeovil has done something strange and just died out.

Posted

Just look at the precip on the radar, radar was showing a nice v being formed on that line of precid that is a small trough, The curve north of the v becomes a warm front and the curve south of the v stays a cold front, It is that cold front and the warm front catching up that creates the hook echo and the V is the clear slot. This one filled itself in and did not occlude but it tried.

The one further south near Yeovil has done something strange and just died out.

Many Thanks, I guess I need to visualise things more then! Now, you have mentioned this, it does make sense. Interesting stuff. good.gif

North Norfolk now joining in with some action and where has that frontal rain across the extreme Eastern parts appeared from, within the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Torrential rain once again - and I mean torrential!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Thunder in Northern Ireland??? I still haven't had a rumble in nearly 2 years. I did have a heavy shower from the first line of storms, the heaviest was North of me though. Shower passing through as I type but of the intermittent and broken nature.