Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - August 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Looks like we had some good thunderstorms lately, thunderstorms pretty much every day of the 2 weeks while I was in the lightning capital of the world, sure was exciting smile.png.

Had to fly through some large convection on the descent to manchester airport on saturday, made for some turbulent flying, thankfully the runway was clear otherwise it may have been a nervewracking landing.

Kampala in Uganda?wink.pngtongue.png

Not sure Uganda is a place I'd fancy mind you. Always reminds me of the first bogeyman foreign leader I knew from tv, as a young kid, Idi Amin!ph34r.png (before Pol Pot, The Ayatollah, Gaddafi, Saddam, Mugabe and now Assad)

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Same, the sky opened in the minute it took me to run to my car. Grrr!

I think there are people up there controlling this stuff just to upset us at break times!

Posted

Kampala in Uganda?wink.pngtongue.png

Not sure Uganda is a place I'd fancy mind you. Always reminds me of the first bogeyman foreign leader I knew from tv, as a young kid, Idi Amin!ph34r.png (before Pol Pot, The Ayatollah, Gaddafi, Saddam, Mugabe and now Assad)

OOOPPPs haha, meant of the USA, was in central Florida tongue.pngdoh.gif Edited by Hughsey

Posted

Starting to turn wet and windy here. I guess the mare tails were right yesterday.smile.png

Posted

post-10773-0-13127700-1346246776_thumb.j

wink.png

Maybe he'll bid for the Elvis Presley pair up for auction? They look pretty damned gross mind you!bad.gif

Edit, I was going to post a picture, but it's really not for the faint hearted, so I'll be kind.ohmy.png

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I dont think that is thunder mate, just seperate fireworks i think! On the other vid of this storm, there is no sound of any thunder or nothing, just the constant lightning, wonder what CAPE values were on that day though, 6000j/kg with -20 LI ? !

Posted

I dont think that is thunder mate, just seperate fireworks i think! On the other vid of this storm, there is no sound of any thunder or nothing, just the constant lightning, wonder what CAPE values were on that day though, 6000j/kg with -20 LI ? !

I know what you mean.

I don't think I've ever seen a video of a storm like that! I even looked for evidence that it'd had been sped up (clouds moving / growing / shrinking etc) but no, it was just unreal.ohmy.png

Posted

It's pants here at the moment biggrin.png

and here, that gives me a great idea for going out in it later though........

underpants-boy.jpg

Posted

It's pants here at the moment biggrin.png

Yes, the wind has died down here and the rain has lessened. Turning into a mushy sort of afternoon.sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just got in in time before the rain started. It was very squally beforehand and very low grey clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Horribly chilly and grey here at 14C, next week looks nice though.smile.png

Posted

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. On the 24th of August here in Buckhurst Hill, Essex we had a HUGE downpour at around 11:40pm. This rain caused some damage to my property which I am now trying to get the insurance company to sort out. They are arguing that they will only pay out if Met Office data shows that over 25 mm fell. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a site with historical data for the 24th August so that I can check the stats. Locally I am sure we had 25mm easy, as our street turned into a river temporarily and this only happens once or twice a year in extreme weather.

Posted

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. On the 24th of August here in Buckhurst Hill, Essex we had a HUGE downpour at around 11:40pm. This rain caused some damage to my property which I am now trying to get the insurance company to sort out. They are arguing that they will only pay out if Met Office data shows that over 25 mm fell. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a site with historical data for the 24th August so that I can check the stats. Locally I am sure we had 25mm easy, as our street turned into a river temporarily and this only happens once or twice a year in extreme weather.

I think you may have to register for historical data, but here is the link:

http://badc.nerc.ac...._dataent_nimrod

http://badc.nerc.ac....atasetid=nimrod

I'm afraid the Netweather Extra radar doesn't show anything for that time:

post-6667-0-56443800-1346256067_thumb.pn

Posted

A quick look on the interweb doesn't help as the nearest weather station I can find is Upminster and they don't show much rain at all (0.3mm)

http://www.upminsterweather.co.uk/dailyreport.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Quite chilly this afternoon...Still much improved picture already on its way..By Friday lovely and warm,As for the weekend Cracking and into next week not looking bad at all. I know some say " yeh but daylight is shorter and its September". Well September still can produce quite a bit of heat and the evenings become nice and cool....Perfect BBQ Party Time. Enjoy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I know what you mean.

I don't think I've ever seen a video of a storm like that! I even looked for evidence that it'd had been sped up (clouds moving / growing / shrinking etc) but no, it was just unreal.ohmy.png

I know! Can honestly say myself that I've never witnessed that much lightning from one thunderhead! I've done some research on what might have caused it, but haven't really found anything. Must have been very high temperatures combined with a trough moving down from the bay of biscay maybe,or a bit more humidity than normal thrown in there and it just happened to materialise. Otherwise I'm clueless as to what set that huge beast to explode like that over in the Costas, as its normally bone dry with unbroken sunshine!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Why does it always have to rain so intensely in the short time I get to go for a bike ride at lunchtime?sad.png

Get yourself one of these then ....

post-10773-0-49892800-1346264112_thumb.j

blum.gif

Dried up nicely here this afternoon and it's quite a pleasant evening with blue sky and sunshine now angel.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

blum.gif

Dried up nicely here this afternoon and it's quite a pleasant evening with blue sky and sunshine now angel.gif

Love that! Managed to dodge the rain cycling to and from work today:) Lovely evening now, but a bit cooler than recently, had to close a window or two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

blum.gif

MK, iIs that Bottesford on that darn bike. rofl.gif I can hear him muttering away about all this rain and his muddy shorts. help.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Can't be Botty, he doesn't look like he's had enough pints.

I won't like that QS in spite of wanting too, he might be watching. search.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The top could come down on that, too? rofl.gif

That's why I thought Coast would like it....he seems to have a passion for drop tops and convertibles angel.gif