Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion

The watcher

Posted

Well, more to do with the dew points and dam thickness... But I suppose if the uppers at 850 were -8, then yes, it would have been snow!

Posted

Really bored waiting for something to happen now! I just have a dreaded feeling that if we do see any cold then it could just be the cold and not allot of snow!! Time will tell but I've completely lost interest in my daily catchup in the model thread!

Posted

The model thread is a bit of a head melter! Most folk see what they want to see in models they would as soon discredit as always unreliable.

Had some fairly heavy sleet on the way home from Coleraine this evening. No doubt about it that we are in winter and things looking interesting for the upcoming period.

Coal up and log up!

Posted

That's it Baltic! We have been pretty lucky here in Derry so far! No snow but i'd say we have had at least 8/9 frosts so far and that's dating back to the last week in September. Some really heavy showers today but its not just your average zonal train as its really cold! The cold uppers just aren't there to give us snow! A lot of patience is needed i think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

A chance of snow of on Thursday with a low coming in from the NW! Probably won't happen but worth keeping an eye on!

Chance tonight and tomorrow for you also. Some showers about on the North coast which may turn wintry overnight and into tomorrow.

Posted

Yeah i heard that on the way home from work on the radio. Came over the Glenshane there about an hour ago and there was sleet. Hopefully a dusting on the way to work in the morning.

Posted

Well my chickens are eating for Ireland right now! Do they know something???

Another thing! Our house is on the flight path of geese. We get quite a lot flying through in the Autumn and spring time.

I've had quite a few fly over the house in the last week or so and I have never seen them fly over this late in the year.

You can hear these guys from about half a mile away too!

Anybody got any ideas if that has meaning??

Posted

heavy sleet here! first wintry precip of the year. temp is 2.9c so higher ground could have lying snow. its showing up as snow on the radar but just sleet.

temp down to 2.5c.

Edited by BIG LAD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Its snowing. First of the year.

Could you put your location on your profile please so we can see where abouts (roughly) you are. Helps indicate what weather is where.

Radar confirms that some places seen snow just before midnight. Says sleet here around 12:30am, but forgot to look out as that band came through so cannot confirm myself.

Posted

Again, -1 this morning at 8 am. Looking very icy, be careful on the roads everyone! Snow cannot be too far away now. We had heavy sleet for a time yesterday, and the trend just seems to be getting colder.

Posted

Just drove over the Glenshane and everything white above 200m. Lovely to see! As you say Ginger hopefully it's a sign of things to come!!

Edited by The watcher

Posted

low of -1.7c last night and very icy. will be interesting to see what areas of high ground got lying snow from that front last night. seen a report of a snow shower in omagh this morning.

Posted

On the radio there was reports of snow for Omagh, between Limavady & Coleraine and the Glenshane. I've drove from Derry to Larne this morning and only the Glenshane has snow plus a sleet shower around Antrim!

Posted

There was a brief sleety shower in Dublin city last night, probably only lasted 2 minutes, but great to see the flakes falling...

Posted

Where you at?

Ballygawley

Not alot but the roofs had a light dusting which was frozen this morning

Edited by somofagun

Posted

Hello all, definitely liking the looks of the ECM from next Wednesday onwards, still far out but wow ohmy.png Even the great MT over on boards.ie is talking about the snow potential for next week! I just hope that if it does arrive that it gets further west than the favoured east coast! Exciting times ahead!clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

absolutely fantastic charts this morning, especially ecmwf. its great to see that we are only getting milder blips and lengthy colder spells. used to be the other way round.

a lovely cold frosty morning with plenty of crisp sunshine.

Posted

Trying to hold myself back from getting exited but it's pretty hard to do! A lot of positives from the models over the last 48 hours and I feel that if we get through the 12z and the Pub Run tonight then we can maybe say that the cold spell is locked in but some people are holding back their thoughts as there had been far to manyet downs in previous years! Something feels different about the way things are setting up at the minute! How we do here is a different storey as we can just end up cold and dry from Easterly setups! Really looking forward to the 12z's today to see if the trend continues. We could certainly be heading towards a cold and snowy Christmas!