Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Fixed your posts, they said 2012 rather than 2010. It's the only moderating I get to do in here, everyone's easy to get on with in our regional.drinks.gif

Again, charts showing the potential tonight, but not of the extraordinary type we seen 2 days ago.

Don't think we will know how part 1 will pan out for another 48-72 hours yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather to match Seasons....

I remember looking at the Sat images in 2010 and seeing snow showers streaming across the Irish Sea from the tip of Anglesey with a NE flow. Am I right in thinking that from an IMBY perspective that wind direction is by far the best chance of getting the 'white stuff'? I can;t recall ever being that impressed with any direct Northerly.

Posted

Ginger, you only have to read the frantic posts in the Models Thread to know that all one can say with (near) certainty is that it's going to get somewhat colder. Anything else comes under the heading of "potential". I'm with Rochydub on this one for this upcoming cold snap - icy nights and perhaps even the odd ice day, but no 2010. In other words, mugs of drinking chocolate with marshmallows, winter boots, but very little actual inconvenience.

Now this is the kind of winter I like :) :) even a little drop of snow too is ok by me :)

Posted

I remember looking at the Sat images in 2010 and seeing snow showers streaming across the Irish Sea from the tip of Anglesey with a NE flow. Am I right in thinking that from an IMBY perspective that wind direction is by far the best chance of getting the 'white stuff'? I can;t recall ever being that impressed with any direct Northerly.

Good question. I'm new here - was in Leeds until Easter - and as it was pretty much in the centre we got the snow whichever direction the wind came from. In 2010 it started snowing in November and we had 90 days of falling and lying snow after that. We were spoilt. In any winter if there was a snowflake to fall, we got it. I would have thought a nice northerly would do the job here, coming from the right direction and loaded with moisture, but what should we be doing the Irish Snow Dance for? Would a NE be better?

Edited by skywatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

well a very cold night last night, overnight temp of -4.0c on my weather station. a severe frost and a very wintry sene.

coldest night of this late autumn.cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather to match Seasons....

Good question. I'm new here - was in Leeds until Easter - and as it was pretty much in the centre we got the snow whichever direction the wind came from. In 2010 it started snowing in November and we had 90 days of falling and lying snow after that. We were spoilt. In any winter if there was a snowflake to fall, we got it. I would have thought a nice northerly would do the job here, coming from the right direction and loaded with moisture, but what should we be doing the Irish Snow Dance for? Would a NE be better?

I think your options are greater skywarcher in Belfast. I would assume you have a good chance with a Northerly and NE flow. The showers tend to filter out I would imagine by the time they reach the south east. I think the key to the current synoptics is it's longevity. All the signs are that the general blocking pattern is around for the next few weeks at least and GP suggests that it's not going to be easy for this theme to breakdown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

A bitter day here in Cork, plenty of frost around this morning. Temperatures never really rose above 4*C, and tonight looks fairly chilly as well. Lovely weather. :)

Posted

My heads fried!! Lol! This roller coaster seems to be going on forever! Hopefully I'll be getting very friendly with the lampost outside the house some time really soon! It's been to long! But I feel that if any snow is going to fall during the early part of December then it will be for Eastern parts! Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but that Atlantic high looks very close to us which would keep things cold and dry? Am I wrong?

Posted

I hope you right Mountain Shadow! I have been learning so much this year with regards to the models but it will be a while before I can lost anything about them! A northerly would be great to kick things off just to get some snow on the ground then as in 2010 the drop in temps kept the snow on the ground! Looking forward to the pub run to see what it can throw into the mix!!

Posted

Worryingly tonight though (IMBY) heavy rain all evening, due to clear away soon, under clear skies, could mean vicious icy roads during the wee hours of morning...

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It was a foggy start to the day here but the fog soon cleared, a clear sky for the last hour or so now. Last nights low 1.0c,current temp 1.3c

Edited by sundog

Posted

It's still foggy here. No means of measuring the external temp but near freezing mid evening (nearly went base over apex on the slippery pavement outside). OH tells me that when it's cold, damp and foggy in Belfast that's called summer. lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Moderate to heavy rain in Cork so far today. Milder than yesterday though.

Posted

I can see the low cloud starting to drop to sea level here now. Has been a sunny day though but nippy.

Posted

The fog and temps hasn't lifted all day here Watcher! A lot of excitement in the model thread with the 12z rolling out! Things falling into place now!! Is it to early to get excited? Lol

Posted

The fog and temps hasn't lifted all day here Watcher! A lot of excitement in the model thread with the 12z rolling out! Things falling into place now!! Is it to early to get excited? Lol

Another 24hours of runs like todays 12z and I'll be exceedingly excited, like a mr Kipling cake. IF the 12z does hold its water and other models remain similar (mainly beyond next weekend) it may be time to start topping up the heating and prepare for a 2 week spell of noteworthy cold. Preparation is key to keeping normal life running smoothly in adverse conditions.

Posted

been a cold couple of days already with highs of 1.7c on saturday and 2.9c today. hopefully just a taste of things too come though....