Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

It's that time of year crossed with that type of weather...!

See, if it's all sunny crisp bright autumnal days, I'm off out doing stuff... but the times when it's autumn plus dark and dreich, I go all Trad.Wummun and start pickling or cleaning or knitting or sewing or baking or... or... or...!

Soup & Stovies BM! biggrin.png

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Help yourself, BI, they're keeping hot on the stove! :)

Baked tattie with half a ton of cheese for lunch... mmmm... (doing my bit for NL and his fellow-farmers, Scottish cheese and Scottish tatties and Scottish butter! The salt's Welsh, though, and I'm pretty sure the black pepper is not grown locally :p )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Charts still looking racy today. Very grey and damp again here - though dry at the moment.

Mmm stovies sound good! I shared similar fare to BM with Scottish Cheese though mine was sadly on salad and not on a toasty tattie!

Posted

Grey, drizzly, cold, windy in other words miserable is how I would describe today's weather. Things should become quieter in the next couple of days but skies may remain on the cloudy side. Recent runs from the models have renewed interest in the possible northerly next week. Fingers crossed for an early arctic blast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Nothing much to add. Grey and damp. Trying not to get excited about eye candy charts which keep teasing...

In the meantime, before posting on this thread, please complete the following:

Scottish Border Agency Citizenship Test

Some tricky questions, but I passed with an A... biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nothing much to add. Grey and damp. Trying not to get excited about eye candy charts which keep teasing...

In the meantime, before posting on this thread, please complete the following:

Scottish Border Agency Citizenship Test

Some tricky questions, but I passed with an A... biggrin.png

[/quote

El thicko here.....12!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I am ashamed to say I scored 12 out of 16! (I have never bought a jumbo sausage supper)

El thicko here.....12!

12/17 is 71% which is an A! Or at least it was in my day.

The sausage supper one got me too. Black pudding, mince pie or haggis supper has traditionally been my fav.

Today's GFS 12z looking tasty. Just teasingly into the edges of FI.

h850t850eu.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

14 out of 16 ... got caught by the hake and the cake ! rofl.gif

Posted

Looking a bit wintry in a weeks time possibly but today was not far behind dreich, damp and a maximum temperature of 6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

12/17 is 71% which is an A! Or at least it was in my day.

The sausage supper one got me too. Black pudding, mince pie or haggis supper has traditionally been my fav.

Today's GFS 12z looking tasty. Just teasingly into the edges of FI.

h850t850eu.png

Aye SS!

Ah think that you,Lorenzo and Cheggers huv been oot oan the first Pre-Winter run wi the SS (Snaw Spreader) Twinty 12 whistling.gif

Talking aboot Sausages!wink.png

Wi the Charts that are being shown on the MT in recent days and the Excitement that's building ah think we are only a couple of runs away from a serious bout o' Trouser Juggling over there, wi the risk o' self harm.

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Cheggers can report that it pished it doon the whole way doon the A9!!!

Now hame and its still pishing it doon. Going to tuck into some local venison sausage and spiced wedges, with a nice Shiraz.

14. good.gif Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Staggering cross model agreement on some eyewatering synoptics:

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20121019/12/ecm500.168.png

Straight out of the 2010 textbook.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20121019/12/ecm500.240.png

On the ECM the potential lasts right through to the end. The only problem with it is that easterlies at this time are really not coming from a cold source, so only northerlies will deliver the goods. At the moment, though, goods look like being delivered, big style according to some of the models:

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20121019/12/144/h850t850eu.png

The operational does go a bit lower than the other runs, but there is broadly cross model agreement on sub -5C uppers across Scotland:

t850Fife.png

There's an issue, in terms of widespread precipitation, with the high being quite so close, because it inhibits convection and the wind direction looks a bit suspect.

The UKMO looks to me like the tastiest option at +144:

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2012101912/UW144-21.GIF?19-18

Very tight isobars in a northeasterly flow. With it being so early in the year lasting snow will not be easy to come by but this is our best shot at a proper October snowfall since, well I don't remember ever having snow in October actually. Snowpocalyptic Winter III: The Early Edition, on the way?

With cross model and ensemble agreement, think it's time to have a wee ramp:

Skamper-ramp_medium.jpg?1245676594

Posted

Well I think it was mid October 1993 when we still had tatties in the ground and the snow arrived so not that unusual. At least the snow insulated the tatties from the frost as we eventually got them lifted

Aurora Storm has been home for the last few days and we were were reminiscing about this as she made snowmen while staying at her grandparents in 1993 north of Inverness while young Mr. Northernlights tested the N.H.S. at Inverness.Funny how these memories stick.

Watched Global Weirding on BBC 4 last night with everyone and we all came to the conclusion that this winter will be extreme whether it be cold/snowy or mild /dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well I think it was mid October 1993 when we still had tatties in the ground and the snow arrived so not that unusual. At least the snow insulated the tatties from the frost as we eventually got them lifted

Aurora Storm has been home for the last few days and we were were reminiscing about this as she made snowmen while staying at her grandparents in 1993 north of Inverness while young Mr. Northernlights tested the N.H.S. at Inverness.Funny how these memories stick.

Watched Global Weirding on BBC 4 last night with everyone and we all came to the conclusion that this winter will be extreme whether it be cold/snowy or mild /dry.

You may be right about that, particularly up in your neck of the woods. 1993 is certainly before my time though!

Posted

Grey, damp and dry at 9C (although rained earlier here). Is this the Indian Summer they were all on about the other day? nea.gif

The GFS looks like a bit of a downgrade this morning from yesterday? Where will be come Thursday? help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Grey, damp and dry at 9C (although rained earlier here). Is this the Indian Summer they were all on about the other day? nea.gif

The GFS looks like a bit of a downgrade this morning from yesterday? Where will be come Thursday? help.gif

Morning! - yes, you can almost feel the tension on the MOD! I am okay with the set up tho'. As long as that polar vortex is unable to park itself for its annual holiday over Greenland, then it must be game on further down the line hopefully?

9.8oC here with the sun just starting to show itself.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Cloudy but bright with the light of the sun making it through the clouds. There has been a little bit of a downgrade in the northerly in the latest runs and the met office still isn't mentioning it. There will be a northerly and our nights should be cold but I think we could end up being too close to the high pressure. It's still nice to start our season of following winter weather. I've never witnessed October snowfall in Glasgow but as it's so early I wouldn't mind it if we miss out with so much of the season in front of us now. As Blitzen says, it's good to see - at the moment - the polar vortex not setting up over Greenland.

Posted

Still overcast and dull but dry. Had a look at the stratosphere thread, further cooling seems likely and northern blocking should become less prominent as we go through November so possibly a less blocked scenario by the start of winter.

Posted

Still overcast and dull but dry. Had a look at the stratosphere thread, further cooling seems likely and northern blocking should become less prominent as we go through November so possibly a less blocked scenario by the start of winter.

Yes all gone a bit sombre in there. cray.gif Hopefully still lots of time for things to improve between now and March.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sun out here after early rain cleared. Temp 10.8C. First double figures since last Saturday.