Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

C/2012 S1 (ison) Could Be The Brightest Comet Ever Seen By Mankind

Polarlow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm thinking 'Comet of the Century' must relate to this (21st) one and, to be frank, there's not been a lot of competition. Posted Image

I just can't get excited yet. I hope it survives and my thoughts prove too negative. Posted Image

Posted

Wow......this is quite exciting!!!Posted Image

I just hope it doesn't prove to be a phantom easterly type disappointment.......and some clear skies would be nice as well

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

12 hours to go,

Speed now 386,400 mph and rapidly increasing.

"Rapidly increasing".....You ain't joking Posted Image  Its now not far off Half a Million MPH and still increasing.....When will it get to warp speed lol Posted Image 

In all seriousness when it reaches it's peak the experts reckon it will be traveling at 845.000 MPH Posted Image  http://www.cometison2013.co.uk/perihelion-and-distance/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

"Rapidly increasing".....You ain't joking Posted Image  Its now not far off Half a Million MPH and still increasing.....When will it get to warp speed lol Posted Image

In all seriousness when it reaches it's peak the experts reckon it will be traveling at 845.000 MPH Posted Image  http://www.cometison2013.co.uk/perihelion-and-distance/

I actually wondered about warp speed and ISON and looked it up yesterday LOL, the definition was warp 1 = light speed, so a way to go yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Posted Image

Getting close now!!!

Ready for the 'live flyby'?

http://cometison.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Just for fun (or not), if ISON hit Earth at it's current speed (which it couldn't, can only reach such speeds around perihelion)

http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crater.cgi?dist=160&distanceUnits=2&diam=2&diameterUnits=2&pdens=1250&pdens_select=1000&vel=160&velocityUnits=2θ=60&wdepth=&wdepthUnits=1&tdens=2500

At 160 miles away (about the distance from here to London)

50 mile wide crater at ground zero

65 mile wide fireball appearing 93 times larger than the Sun from 160 miles away - heat radiation is 804x greater than the Sun

Energy released is around 41 million megatons of TNT, about 1 million times more powerful than the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, over a billion Hiroshima bombs

Magnitude 9.7 earthquake

9 feet of ejected material buries the surface

Winds speeds of 2000mph from blastwave arrives after 13 minutes

About 1/3, maybe 1/2  as powerful as the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs, ouch.

So, the big day.. Comet ISON, to be or not to be, that is the question.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just for fun (or not), if ISON hit Earth at it's current speed (which it couldn't, can only reach such speeds around perihelion)

http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crater.cgi?dist=160&distanceUnits=2&diam=2&diameterUnits=2&pdens=1250&pdens_select=1000&vel=160&velocityUnits=2θ=60&wdepth=&wdepthUnits=1&tdens=2500

At 160 miles away (about the distance from here to London)

50 mile wide crater at ground zero

65 mile wide fireball appearing 93 times larger than the Sun from 160 miles away - heat radiation is 804x greater than the Sun

Energy released is around 41 million megatons of TNT, about 1 million times more powerful than the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, over a billion Hiroshima bombs

Magnitude 9.7 earthquake

9 feet of ejected material buries the surface

Winds speeds of 2000mph from blastwave arrives after 13 minutes

About 1/3, maybe 1/2  as powerful as the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs, ouch.

So, the big day.. Comet ISON, to be or not to be, that is the question.

Just reminded me of when Armageddon was on in the cinema, when the fragment hit Paris many jumped up and cheered Posted Image

Posted

ISON is now visible from the SOHO LASCO C2, this is the one to follow now: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/c2/512/

Posted Image

This doesn't seem to work for me.

EDit - oh - Data Outage Announcement 

The realtime LASCO images (JavaScript movies, javagif directories, etc, are currently offline while we restore a server. We apologize for the inconvenience and direct you to the SOHO Website for realtime images and data.

Edited by SteveCoops

The realtime LASCO images (JavaScript movies, javagif directories, etc, are currently offline while we restore a server. We apologize for the inconvenience and direct you to the SOHO Website for realtime images and data.

The severs becoming overloaded with all the interest perhaps. Here is the 15:18 image I saved to computer

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

As SOHO is a joint NASA/ESA mission, it has 2 site's with exactly the same data (american and european) 

http://soho.esac.esa.int/ - Link to euro one, might get lucky Posted Image. Seems to work for me atm

Edit: seems to be going really slow, suppose this is the 'comet of the century'

Edited by Mesosphere
  • Like 1

Posted

As SOHO is a joint NASA/ESA mission, it has 2 site's with exactly the same data (american and european) 

http://soho.esac.esa.int/ - Link to euro one, might get lucky Posted Image. Seems to work for me atm

Edit: seems to be going really slow, suppose this is the 'comet of the century'

That works thanks! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

That works thanks! Posted Image

No problem Posted Image

Edit: Euro one seems a fair bit behind the US one currently, still got circa 0900 data from the LASCO C2

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Thought id try and screen grab Comet ISON traveling at 666.### OMG!! check out the time also...Posted Image

post-12197-0-04290200-1385655260_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Its hard work trying to get the latest images but thats understandable i guess as every man and his dog hitting the site/s for this event..

http://www.solarham.net/ahead.htm    This site refreshes every two mins 16:09 up now..

Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Raw

Posted

Tense couple of hours coming up!

Good luck ISON! Astronomers hope 'comet of the century' will survive its close encounter with the sun this evening

• At 18:35 GMT today astronomers will know if comet ISON has survived its closest approach to the sun
  • The comet, which is thought to measure less than a mile (1.6 kilometres) wide, will pass within 1.2 million kilometres of our star
  • One scientist from Joderell Bank Observatory it will be 'tough' for the comet to survive the sun's intense heat and huge gravitational pull

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2514897/Will-Comet-Ison-survive-close-encounter-sun-evening.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

16.39 and still she flies Posted Image

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

Will it start to slow down after perihelion if so im going for max speed of    848:738 mph