Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 4... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

ok... think of spring as the morning, summer as daytime, autumn as the evening and winter as night. - the coldest part is just before dawn, i.e the end of the night. or to translate that to our metaphor, the last part of winter, i.e. february! i didnt think i would need to explain it but never mind....

No, I completely understood what you were saying with regards to the night being "darkest before the dawn", it's just that this metaphor isn't at all relevant here as January is normally the coldest part of winter. Unless you were suggesting that February will be colder than January this winter in which case my original question still stands: why?

Sorry that I had to explain that smile.png

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

http://t.co/oaYTGlBC

If I read that correctly, Meto going for reasonable probability of a weak Niño this winter.

GP also alluded to something similar in the Tech thread earlier this evening.

If that proves correct, what would that mean in terms of cold potential for the UK?

If I'm not correct then apologies for the above piddle!

you are correct but on its own it means very little. it is a favourable factor but only in conjunction with many others. hope that helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

you are correct but on its own it means very little. it is a favourable factor but only in conjunction with many others. hope that helps.

Is it favourable with the other early factors we already have in place?

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

The winter index is what I devised. The earlier values i constructed were from Manchester airport but I can assure you that the 2009-10 value was based on my own records of lying snow, falling sleet and snow and frosts.

Exactly and if you at your location live at roughly 10-20m asl like most of Irlam is then you records will vary substantially (sometimes) than mine or someone living in Bury, Ashton-under-lyne, Denton etc, I mean your almost in Warrington as well all the way down there haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A mix between December 2010, January 2010 and February 2009 here in Oxford would be most welcome :)

Posted

No, I completely understood what you were saying with regards to the night being "darkest before the dawn", it's just that this metaphor isn't at all relevant here as January is normally the coldest part of winter. Unless you were suggesting that February will be colder than January this winter in which case my original question still stands: why?

Sorry that I had to explain that smile.png

i was merely suggesting, as some were saying that the end of winter could not be as cold as the rest, that february, or even march has the potential to be as cold, if not even colder than the rest of winter. i was generalising. not being specific to this or any other winter in particular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yes although it was more than a foot, nearer two and it lasted a good 2 weeks with drifts on mendips lasting until first week of march. air_kiss.gif Truely epic although it was mainly above 100m really I think.

Here is a picture to bring it all back jeth drinks.gifFrom what I remember it snowed on and off all that week.

post-8911-0-30529300-1350340884_thumb.jp

Yep, that's the one, it demolished my workshop, the whole thing collapsed like a pack of cards beneath the weight of all the snow.

Posted

Is it favourable with the other early factors we already have in place?

the simple answer is, yes. but we have a long way to go yet and many of these factors are subject to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

the simple answer is, yes. but we have a long way to go yet and many of these factors are subject to change.

Cool. Still need to to a bit of research regarding nina & niño events. Not my area of expertise.

Thanks for your replies mate.

Posted

Talking about the winter indices..

Manchester winter indices from 1973-74 to 2011-12

1978-79: 262

2009-10: 197

1985-86: 159

1981-82: 149

1976-77: 141

1984-85: 140

1995-96: 135

1990-91: 126

2010-11: 119

2008-09: 105

1986-87: 100

1977-78: 90

1980-81: 90

1982-83: 85

1983-84: 82

1993-94: 78

2000-01: 77

1996-97: 72

1979-80: 66

2005-06: 59

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

1998-99: 47

2004-05: 47

2011-12: 47

1994-95: 45

2002-03: 44

1992-93: 43

1999-00: 42

1975-76: 41

1991-92: 40

1987-88: 37

2007-08: 37

1973-74: 30

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

1997-98: 25

2006-07: 21

1988-89: 20

December 1988 and January 1989, were two of the least wintriest months that I can remember. There was hardly a frost, there wasn't a hint of sleet and that was across a two month period.

Even February 1998 had snow at the very beginning and end of that month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

If it's cold enough, rime will stick around even in February. The sun is still weak then and airmasses are colder than in December under identical synoptics.

There's a reason February is colder than December on average and similar to January.

I looked at my data, i took the coldest CET months from 1950-2003.

(not including CET 2.0/3.0 only any below that number were added)

CET below 3.0

December - 6

January - 10

February - 10

CET below 2.0

December - 2

January - 5

February - 7

This shows that February has the coldest CET months 1950-2003

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

February's below CET 3.0 - 1950-2003

1954/55

1955/56

1967/68

1968/69

1969/70

1977/78

1982/83

1985/86

1990/91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

February's below CET 3.0 - 1950-2003

1954/55

1955/56

1967/68

1968/69

1969/70

1977/78

1982/83

1985/86

1990/91

Why have you stopped at 2003 out of interest?

Posted

There's no denying that Feb has more "cold capacity", if you will, than December. Feb has 8 sub zero CET months to December's 7 (I think) Also, Feb's coldest of -1.9C is much colder than the -0.8C of December's coldest. However, in turn January occupies the top 6 coldest CET months ie the coldest Feb comes in 7th place overall.

It makes sense really, December struggles due to the warmer seas/air masses but has short days in its favour. February struggles with longer days but has cold seas and air masses in its favour. January fills the middle ground and gets the best of both worlds.

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Cold and snowy is just much less likely in December than in February.

Posted

Why have you stopped at 2003 out of interest?

The data only goes up to 2003 on the sites i have used for this.

I will add to the list at some point soon, other sites would have the data of course!

Posted

Hopes and wishes: that people in the winter threads won't start screaming abuse at anyone who disagrees with their wishcasts. Expectations: disintegration into name-calling. Given the variables, can anyone have a clue what the weather will be come February?

Puts on tin helmet and awaits incoming..

Posted

Cold and snowy is just much less likely in December than in February.

Indeed. If you check out the UK mapped averages on the Met Office website even March slightly edges out December for number of days with snow/sleet falling. December, however, has significantly more days of lying snow than March, roughly comparable with Feb. Jan the most of both.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Heh yeah, as demonstrated by a white Easter being more likely than a white Christmas. I think there is some validation to that claim, but I'm not sure? I've heard it thrown about a few times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just came across this, not sure if it's been mentioned.

Winter 2012 : Slightly Milder But Much Wetter than Average

After the cold winter of 2010 and average winter of 2011, the UK looks set to see a milder and wetter than average winter this year as ENSO-neutral/ weak El Niño conditions take hold across the Pacific over the coming weeks.

UKMO, GEOS and JMA models suggest a warming trend across the Pacific over the next few months with the Arpege, ECMWF and CFSv2 expecting neutral conditions.

Our forecast is based on NCEP CFSv2 model which indicates temperatures close to or slightly above average for much of Western Europe with precipitation levels markedly higher than we would expect during the Winter months.

November 2012

Drier than average month with high pressure dominating the weather for the first half of the month. Return to more mobile conditions later. Average temperatures for much of UK with exception of Scotland where colder than average temperatures expected. Wetter than average for many areas.

December 2012

Wetter and milder than average. South-west England expected to have significantly higher than average rainfall.

January 2013

Wetter and milder than average. South-west England expected to have significantly higher than average rainfall.

February 2013

Slightly wetter than average. Slightly Milder than average across all areas with significant cold spells expected.

March 2013

Slightly wetter than average, especially across Western areas. Average temperatures.

Notable Singularities

25 Dec - 31 Dec 2012 - Cold Spell (75% confidence for 2012 (-8%))

24 Jan - 3 Feb 2013 - Cold Spell (80% confidence for 2013 (-5%))

21 Feb - 25 Feb 2013 - Cold Spell (90% confidence for 2013 (+48%))

Discussion

There appears to be a growing trend for cyclogenesis (development of areas of low pressure) to continue occurring across the Eastern Atlantic section. The net result is for cyclolysis (decaying of areas of low pressure) to occur around the UK. This is likely to be the predominant reason for a wetter and milder than average winter this year.

Long range CFS jet stream models indicate a more Southerly location of the polar front this Winter and a more Northerly location of the sub-tropical jet stream. The net effect is likely to be a higher frequency of mid-latitude storms with lower frequency of blocking patterns. This supports our forecast.

Labrador T850 anomaly forecasts indicate temperatures of +2 to +3 during February 2013. This has been consistent over the past 2 months and has been backed up by global ensembles models. This supports our forecast for significant cold spells in February 2013.

Low frequency of blocking patterns are expected this Winter, especially at the start of the period.

This forecast will be updated December 1 2012.

http://www.metcheck....ONAL/winter.asp

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

After the cold winter of 2010 and average winter of 2011, the UK looks set to see a milder and wetter than average winter this year as ENSO-neutral/ weak El Niño conditions take hold across the Pacific over the coming weeks.

UKMO, GEOS and JMA models suggest a warming trend across the Pacific over the next few months with the Arpege, ECMWF and CFSv2 expecting neutral conditions.

Our forecast is based on NCEP CFSv2 model which indicates temperatures close to or slightly above average for much of Western Europe with precipitation levels markedly higher than we would expect during the Winter months.

November 2012

Drier than average month with high pressure dominating the weather for the first half of the month. Return to more mobile conditions later. Average temperatures for much of UK with exception of Scotland where colder than average temperatures expected. Wetter than average for many areas.

December 2012

January 2013

February 2013

Slightly wetter than average. Slightly Milder than average across all areas with significant cold spells expected.

March 2013

Slightly wetter than average, especially across Western areas. Average temperatures.

Notable Singularities

Discussion

There appears to be a growing trend for cyclogenesis (development of areas of low pressure) to continue occurring across the Eastern Atlantic section. The net result is for cyclolysis (decaying of areas of low pressure) to occur around the UK. This is likely to be the predominant reason for a wetter and milder than average winter this year.

Long range CFS jet stream models indicate a more Southerly location of the polar front this Winter and a more Northerly location of the sub-tropical jet stream. The net effect is likely to be a higher frequency of mid-latitude storms with lower frequency of blocking patterns. This supports our forecast.

Labrador T850 anomaly forecasts indicate temperatures of +2 to +3 during February 2013. This has been consistent over the past 2 months and has been backed up by global ensembles models. This supports our forecast for significant cold spells in February 2013.

Low frequency of blocking patterns are expected this Winter, especially at the start of the period.

I think this forecast has been discussed (don't quote mon that tho') before and viewed upon with distain by those that are very knowledegeable, mainly due to it's lack of reasoning I believe! tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think this forecast has been discussed (don't quote mon that tho') before and viewed upon with distain by those that are very knowledegeable, mainly due to it's lack of reasoning I believe! tease.gif

Ah ok, I couldn't find if it had been brought to light or not. I imagine it was looked up on with disdain by those with a bias towards cold weather however, like anything at this stage this is a forecast prediction for the upcoming winter which can't be dismissed until it's had chance to verify or not. smile.png

I agree - the detail is rather lacking with little explanation to the methods and way of thinking.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

By no means am I dis-crediting or saying their forecast is wrong, but it s a little conflicting, especially for February. Perhaps if they are basing this purely on model output, they may be providing conflicting signals?

"Slightly wetter than average. Slightly Milder than average across all areas with significant cold spells expected"

To me that sounds like February would be a month of big swings if it came off as they are describing - from a 'significant cold spell' to something alot milder to bring the average temps back up to slightly above average. Wetter and milder I associate with westerly influences dominating rather than cold spells? Of course, it may of been a simple typo and the could have forgotten to put the "no" infront of significant?

Its another forecast to review as we progress through winter anyway.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

November 2012

December 2012

January 2013

February 2013

March 2013

Notable Singularities

Discussion

oh dear to be honest I find there forecast laughable. Not because there don't forecast cold but the bit about the cold between 25th and 30th of December with 75% confidence. We are not to sure what next week or the week after that will do but they have 75% confidence in something that's more then two months away! Never mind the ones for January and February just a joke in my opinion. Edited by lightningst