Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 4... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Hey Chris.. I am new too so yeah, Hey everyone!

Gotta be 09/10 for me... As I live in Plymouth and that happened to coincide with me heading back to Bucks where we had quite a bit of snow. Every other year we've missed it.

Everyone on here has with 99.9% probability seen this but, this year. Love this picture.

nasa-satellite-photo-snow-covered-britain-7th-jan-2010.jpg?w=600&h=615

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

I think it was snowier than that winter, it was definitely colder than that winter. Manchester Winter Index was close to 200 for 2009-10, 1995-96 was about 135.

Exactly hence why I said "since"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

Exactly hence why I said "since" also it depends where you lived in Manchester, areas in West Manchester (almost at sea level) probably wouldn't of done quite as well in terms of snowfall in 1995/1996 as here in East Manchester as we are a good 70 metres higher than where you are.

I think it was snowier than that winter, it was definitely colder than that winter. Manchester Winter Index was close to 200 for 2009-10, 1995-96 was about 135.

Exactly hence why I said "since" also it depends where you lived in Manchester, areas in West Manchester (almost at sea level) probably wouldn't of done quite as well in terms of snowfall in 1995/1996 as here in East Manchester as we are a good 70 metres higher than where you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

nasa-satellite-photo-snow-covered-britain-7th-jan-2010.jpg?w=600&h=615

Welcome Funky. Never get bored with that picture, not sure we'll ever get a repeat, but you never know!

Posted

Exactly hence why I said "since" but it also depends where in Manchester you live, areas in west Manchester (almost at sea level) like yourself wouldn't of done very well in 1995/1996 but here in the East at a good 80 metres higher we did very well in 1995/1996, certainly as good in terms of snowfall as 2009/10.

Sorry for the double post!

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted

most parts on Sat 18th Dec in W Midlands had 8-10 inches

i was 'lowering the tone' mate! never mind, best leave it there lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

cfs-0-654.png

If you liked that one polar maritime as the starter, how about this for the maincourse???

cfs-0-1398.png

And these for dessert!! YUMMY.

cfs-0-2220.png

A Stonking upper supper!!.

cfs-2-2274.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I drove out to the sticks of Shropshire during the cold week before Christmas 2010 and was amazed by the temperature gauge dropping as I cleared the heat island effect of the M6 around Brum. The time I reached my in-laws it was -12 and went down to -17 a couple of nights later. First time in my life I have experienced temps that low.

Posted

I take it the latest CFS isn't that good if yesterday's is being posted? Personally I think 7 " is ample any more than that you should consider yourself very lucky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

7th Dec 2010 was fantastic, low weak sun, short day, thickest rime ive ever seen, never thawed at all even in bright sun all day

In February that I would have thought not possible

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Thought I would introduce myself. I'm Chris. I've been lurking reading the posts most days since January last year. Still very much a beginner but learning a lot reading about SSW events, Azores and Greenland highs etc!

Which winter would you like a repeat of if you had to choose - 2008/09, 2009/10 or 2010/11?

I'm torn between the lovely white build up to Christmas like we had in Dec 2010 or brightening up a dark and depressing early Feb like 2009. I guess some of you had both in 2009/2010 winter, as the cold hit on about Dec 21 and carried on through most of Jan. Though here in Coventry we had no snow in December!

If not one of those, which other winter from the past would you like to relive? My father in law talks mystically about 1947! I hear that was quite a year, as they had a fab summer to follow all the snow.

Posted

I take it the latest CFS isn't that good if yesterday's is being posted? Personally I think 7 " is ample any more than that you should consider yourself very lucky!

Im not too sure how to get hold of a more up to date CFS, that is the lastest one on MC anyway, as for the 7", i would have snapped your hands off 5 years ago, but moved to a better location now (big drift potential) and the goalposts have moved now!

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

7th Dec 2010 was fantastic, low weak sun, short day, thickest rime ive ever seen, never thawed at all even in bright sun all day

It's definitely possible in February.

Posted

I think you're right, I think that November into late Jan is the best time for snow and ice to literally stick around, before or after that is shorter lived regardless of temperature, dew point and humidity due to the increased Solar output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

18th Dec, I got it as well, but only the standard 3 inches

Actually, it can't have been 18th December, that was a Saturday. I remember that Saturday... we missed out, as usual. A few flakes but nothing substantial. It was a few days after that, maybe the Monday or Tuesday. I remember because we had a snow day from work, I don't work weekends, and I also remember that it made up for disappointment of seeing other places that had just had decent snow on the 18th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Welcome Funky. Never get bored with that picture, not sure we'll ever get a repeat, but you never know!

I know mate, it's just one of those pictures that reminds you of a time instantly with few memories thrown in for good measure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not a fan of February snow, not high enough for it to last, but of course wouldnt say no to it

I think this is a popular misconception, caused by the lack of potent cold spells in February in recent years. Note that the Marches of 2001 and 2006 both produced cold spells that were arguably more potent, in terms of cold temperatures, than anything we've seen in February since the 5th-7th February 1996.

Sub-zero maximum temperatures were very widespread during the famous "easterly" outbreak in February 1991, and three years later, I remember a spell with sunshine and snow showers around the 20th-22nd February 1994 in the Tyne and Wear area, when the snow hardly thawed at all in the sunshine in between the showers, and maximum temperatures barely exceeded freezing. There was also a potent cold spell around the 14th-16th February 1994 due to a south-easterly flow bringing a cold pool in that had accumulated over the Balkans.

Posted

If it's cold enough, rime will stick around even in February. The sun is still weak then and airmasses are colder than in December under identical synoptics.

There's a reason February is colder than December on average and similar to January.

Posted

I think this is a popular misconception, caused by the lack of potent cold spells in February in recent years. Note that the Marches of 2001 and 2006 both produced cold spells that were arguably more potent, in terms of cold temperatures, than anything we've seen in February since the 5th-7th February 1996.

Sub-zero maximum temperatures were very widespread during the famous "easterly" outbreak in February 1991, and three years later, I remember a spell with sunshine and snow showers around the 20th-22nd February 1994 in the Tyne and Wear area, when the snow hardly thawed at all in the sunshine in between the showers, and maximum temperatures barely exceeded freezing. There was also a potent cold spell around the 14th-16th February 1994 due to a south-easterly flow bringing a cold pool in that had accumulated over the Balkans.

Yes, 3 belters inside 5 years, if you get deep enough snow and the right post snow synoptics right up until mid march, it aint going anywhere fast.

Posted

If it's cold enough, rime will stick around even in February. The sun is still weak then and airmasses are colder than in December under identical synoptics.

There's a reason February is colder than December on average and similar to January.

I know the exception but show us all a December warmer than February 1998>>>>

Posted

cfs-0-654.png

If you liked that one polar maritime as the starter, how about this for the maincourse???

Technically that's arctic maritime wink.png Polar maritime is normally sourced from the North West, while this is the 'Pièce de résistance' from the North East :)

Posted

Again the strength of sun in February is being overplayed. February is roughly on par with November and end of October in terms of sun strength.

Early March 2001 was indeed severe with a low of -20.6C, a minimum temperature not surpassed until Jan 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I know the exception but show us all a December warmer than February 1998>>>>

Yeah, warm sunny weather possible from 15th Feb, where as not really possible in Dec, also I think I remember a very mild spell in Feb 04, which was at times sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It is known that there is a higher chance of an easterly during the months of Feb and March, it seems that they are becoming less of an occurrence in winter? or at least strong one's anyway.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm