Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 4... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

9th Jan 2010, was probably the biggest snow failure ever? -10 uppers and all I had was rain, although on monday 11th it turned back to snow, but only a dusting

Our local news in December 2009 gave us a full 30 mins (all of the program) warning us on an upcoming snowstorm which was due to hit the next day, they warned us of I think 50cm of snow falling overnight and into the morning and as a consequence to have a shovel, blankets, torch to hand. And guess what it didn't even happen, the following day we opened the curtains to just a fine drizzle. There wasn't even any snow on the Pennine passes either, a complete flop that was laugh.png but just a few weeks later we had a foot of snow.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

6th Jan 2010 was by far the best event ever here, 21cm over 10 hours and a cumulative depth of 29cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

keep the good posts coming ,but remember its only october ,Any body looking for a bit of the WHITE stuff / type in on google / Kimmirut weather cam ,and have a look .good signs about ,but as always we,ll have to wait . cheers gang .drinks.gif

Posted

6th Jan 2010 was by far the best event ever here, 21cm over 10 hours and a cumulative depth of 29cm.

I even mamaged 16cm of level snow here, nothing like the Nov 30-1 Dec 2010 fall though, 1700-0800=35cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Funny how we live in the same city but have different experiences.

Posted

Funny how we live in the same city but have different experiences.

Aye, the 10 miles can sometimes make the difference.

For the most part however our experiences have often seemed to be in sync (i think i might have 100m asl on you as well).

Posted

I even mamaged 16cm of level snow here, nothing like the Nov 30-1 Dec 2010 fall though, 1700-0800=35cm

And here, would love to have a snowfall like that again, shame its unlikely!

Posted

And here, would love to have a snowfall like that again, shame its unlikely!

..............................wub.png

Posted

Aye, the 10 miles can sometimes make the difference.

For the most part however our experiences have often seemed to be in sync (i think i might have 100m asl on you as well).

Yes you are much higher than myself, I'm at 86 metres, and we didn't have anywhere near that amount in January 2010 (20cm at best I reckon). December 2010 our levels were more similar with 25cm - 28cm here (depending on where you measured) with I assume a foot or more in the higher parts of the city (i.e Cookridge).

Edited by Aaron

Posted

great film for enjoying the snowy scenes now just started on Dave - Clifffhanger - I know - repeated for the millionth time - but a good snowy movie!!!!!!!!

post-7852-0-44956200-1350246186_thumb.jp

post-7852-0-98860700-1350246277_thumb.jp

post-7852-0-27276900-1350246545_thumb.jp

Edited by andymusic

Posted

We didn't do as well as you guys, but I like to think we did alright..

5234138324_0067ac1230.jpg

b0704800177b403e978da8a.png

So yes a repeat of 10/11 would suffice but more snow in Jan and Feb please.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

post-7073-0-85425800-1350246660_thumb.jp

post-7073-0-13568700-1350246696_thumb.jp

We didn't do too badly at the end of November 2010 either. Would love a repeat

Here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN18ft7S_U&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD

Posted

great film for enjoying the snowy scenes now just started on Dave - Clifffhanger - I know - repeated for the millionth time - but a good snowy movie!!!!!!!!

I even had to drag xmas dinner in that year 2010 on a cardboard sled as our country road was totally impassable!!!!!!!!

Posted

One of my favourite pics from Dec 2010, with deep snow and clear blue skiesbiggrin.png

Looks like Sweden :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

One of my favourite pics from Dec 2010, with deep snow and clear blue skiesbiggrin.png

Even some places in Scotland would be lucky to see as much snow as that.

Posted

December 2010 was quite a letdown in terms of snowfall for my location (though the very cold temperatures was of course very impressive) with weak straddling fronts preventing convection from the North Sea while places 50 miles north and south were being clobbered with snowfall. Would love to see a repeat of February 2009 or even a week like in February this year with sub zero temperatures and lying snow.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

We better all hope the strat stops cooling soon otherwise it could spell disaster for our up coming winter smiliz39.gifsmiliz39.gif

Your wish is the weather gods command

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/html_e/pole30_n.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

We better all hope the strat stops cooling soon otherwise it could spell disaster for our up coming winter smiliz39.gifsmiliz39.gif

There is no proven correlation between the strat and our winters and even if the strat is a 'factor', it is just one of many.

I suggest no one gives up on the winter because of the strat, we still cant predict the weather more then a week ahead.

'

It is still only mid October and too many 'background signals' have lead to many mis calculated season forecasts.

Posted

Whilst a 1962/63 winter sounds fun, lets be honest feeling cold and frozen is horrible, its easy to sit in your nice warm room looking out of the window at a blizzard or heavy snow falling, but when its not snowing and just freezing cold and you have to leave the house for work early in the morning and you get into your frozen car, or when you get out of the shower and you feel freezing, then thats when i start to get a bit annoyed about the cold

I am a fan of snow not cold, but of course i put up with the cold if there is plenty of snow, if we had a month of cold frosty high pressure i would like it for a couple of weeks but then i will be begging for zonality to return. if there is no sign of snow on the way

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

erm... the strat won't stop cooling, it's coming up to winter. we need it to cool at a slower rate than usual but cooling is normal or else there won't be a winter!!