Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming Cold (Chilly?) Snap

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I thought I detected the tiniest bit of sleety stuff in the rain earlier this morning. But it's very chilly here in Ippy. Hope we do get some snow though. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Possible snow forecast tonight here in Cambridge. Will wait and see, won't get my hopes up too much. Seems to be this time of year, the best time for snow is overnight like in 2008. Anyone else seeing snow at the moment / expecting it tonight?

There are hints that some of those fleeting showers out in the North Sea, will increase in intensity through this evening and feed further inland. So if the temperature is right and you have elevation, certainly a good chance of seeing sleet/snow. Also looks a very good chance for those out in the NE & Scotland this afternoon, as places with elevation are already seeing snow mixed in with these showers.

Still only October, so this is a welcome extra to begin :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here is a latest grab showing the range of t850s (upper air) Temperatures across the country. In my view, it is just a pity that there is no sign of an active front making for a spectacular clearance. Having said that, it looks like I'm maxing out at 7.1c during daylight hours, which is no mean feat. The clearance may well not be of a distinct blue sky type due to my previously stated comment.

post-7183-0-98104100-1351255239_thumb.gi

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Here are the warnings on my weather app;

Though how accurate they are, I have no idea.

post-17085-0-89272700-1351261409_thumb.j

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Durham Police are reporting that it is snowing in Durham

There has also been snow falling in Kielder Forest this morning

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow snow warnings out from the met office for the eastern side of England and Scotland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

North East England

Yorkshire & Humber

East Midlands

Issued at - 26 Oct 2012, 11:45

Valid from - 26 Oct 2012, 17:00

Valid to - 27 Oct 2012, 09:00

A band of heavy wintry showers with gusty winds will spread southwards later on Friday and overnight into the early hours of Saturday. While showers are more likely to fall as rain, sleet or hail near coasts of England, inland areas, together with Scotland are likely to see some snow showers for a time. A few centimetres of snow may accumulate this evening across northern and parts of eastern Scotland, particularly over hills, with a risk of similar amounts across the North Yorkshire Moors through the middle part of Friday night. Elsewhere, snow amounts should be small, and mostly restricted to grassy surfaces but ice will present an additional hazard on untreated surfaces.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Yellow snow warnings out from the met office for the eastern side of England and Scotland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

North East England

Yorkshire & Humber

East Midlands

Issued at - 26 Oct 2012, 11:45

Valid from - 26 Oct 2012, 17:00

Valid to - 27 Oct 2012, 09:00

A band of heavy wintry showers with gusty winds will spread southwards later on Friday and overnight into the early hours of Saturday. While showers are more likely to fall as rain, sleet or hail near coasts of England, inland areas, together with Scotland are likely to see some snow showers for a time. A few centimetres of snow may accumulate this evening across northern and parts of eastern Scotland, particularly over hills, with a risk of similar amounts across the North Yorkshire Moors through the middle part of Friday night. Elsewhere, snow amounts should be small, and mostly restricted to grassy surfaces but ice will present an additional hazard on untreated surfaces.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Nice to see the snow warnings back. Last winter, the first warning for snowfall was in early December and it's nice to see some folk getting the white stuff today, much much earlier than last year too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Already a covering in the NYM above 700ft, going to head up there in a few hours. Plenty of showers packing in from the North Sea. Snow level will drop but i still think anywhere under 100m it will be a wintry mix. We shall see...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Haven't seen much of that recently. DO NOT EAT!bad.gif

Posted

I'm pretty certain whilst out an hour ago doing some shopping that I saw my first flakes of winter here at Redcar. Only very, very wet stuff, but noticeable flakes.

Posted

the GFS 12Z was mighty interesting for snow prospects. Certainly looks like an interesting few weeks ahead. About to walk to gym in next hour or so here in Leeds, hoping to catch the odd flake or two

Posted

I remember the October snowfall in 2008 well. I was off to a Luton football game and rain/sleet was forecast. Started walking up towards the ground and heavy snow starts to fall and abandons the game in the first 10 minutes, almost completely unexpected.

Because of the elevation, in town the snow level was far greater towards the airport (here) than in town. The airport itself has its own microclimate.

I have a friend in Tyne and Wear and he said they had some heavy snow a little while ago. Might not be snowing here, but you can certainly feel the difference in temperature - Currently 5C and dropping with a daytime High of 8C recorded at 00:01 AM

Posted

It's noticeably colder here too. I've had many customers come in and say something along the line of 'winters coming' while I just smile and don't say anything! I'm hoping that I don't have to faff around with de-icing my car tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The first sleet of the season here in a short shower at 1515 g.m.t. The temperature was 2.8c, falling to 2.3c after the shower.

Posted

A lovely day with sunshine, fantastic autumnal colours and a great wintry flavour to things. Maximum temperature failed to exceed 7C. Also, there was a brief snow shower at 5pm which is a first for me in October. So I'm pretty happy of how today went for early season cold weather, but even more impressive wintry weather occured over further north. And Aberdeen in the past few hours has been hit in particular in what I would say is a very impressive snow event for October. Check out the radar, the traffic cams and the regional thread. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/, http://trafficscotland.org/lev/#, http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74393-scotland-regional-discussion-autumn/page__st__700#entry2390905

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I won't be overdoing these but here is the latest radar screen grab which shows snow falling as far south as to the west of Derby.

I must say the precipitation is keeping its act together quite well.

post-7183-0-04780300-1351283582_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I've updated my wintry weather map to cover EA/SE, using the models and latest radar/satellite data.

post-11361-0-58863000-1351283527_thumb.g

The infrared satellite shows where the convective activity is, i expect some of the sleet and snow to move down into the Southeast later, highest risk is Kent but i have included further west going by the latest radar.

Satellite image below:

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm